Full-time vs. Part-time 4X4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full-time vs. Part-time 4X4

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
JuddRacing
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Full-time vs. Part-time 4X4

Stupid question, but on my dash it has a Part-time and a Full-time light. In 4hi it has only ever said Part-time. I checked the manual and I can't find anything listed as to what the difference is.

JuddRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That light will only work if you have an NP242 transfer case, I think.
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

"Part" time means it's on for off road use, where "full" time means it's for "all the time" meaning on road use as well. It's weird, I know.. but "part" time is referring to not using it all the time (off road) where as full time is referring to using it all the time (on road)..

My Grand Cherokee had full time and part time. I don't think Wranglers do. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The cluster is a generic one made by Jeep for multiple models. Some t-cases have a full time 4wd position. The difference being that full time 4wd will have a differential in the t-case between the front and rear outputs; and a part time does not, meaning that both outputs always turn at the same speed.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Vodkaman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddRacing View Post
Stupid question, but on my dash it has a Part-time and a Full-time light. In 4hi it has only ever said Part-time. I checked the manual and I can't find anything listed as to what the difference is.
How did you find this out? How many positions of TC shifter do you have?
Vodkaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
JuddRacing
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can see the "Full-time" indicator on the panel even though I've never seen it lit. My TC shifter just says 2H, 4H, N, 4L.
JuddRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
The cluster is a generic one made by Jeep for multiple models. Some t-cases have a full time 4wd position. The difference being that full time 4wd will have a differential in the t-case between the front and rear outputs; and a part time does not, meaning that both outputs always turn at the same speed.
Yep, my '97 cherokee seems to use the same dash and it has the np242 with full time.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Wrangler's 4x4 system is strictly a part-time 4x4 system, there is no full-time 4x4 system available on a TJ. Your dash was originally also used in the Cherokee that had a full-time 4x4 system optionally available. The Full-Time indicator will never light in a Wrangler.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
TheSherp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Judd dont feel bad, I had the same question but was afraid to ask. LOL
TheSherp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can see the "Full-time" indicator on the panel even though I've never seen it lit. My TC shifter just says 2H, 4H, N, 4L.
thats normal. mines the same way. same dash was used in the XJ. XJ's were available with the both NP242 t-case or the NP231. TJ's only got the NP231. The difference being the NP242 has an extra shift point for Full-Time 4x4, which was basically a 48%/52% bias "open" diff style 4wd, allowing the front and rear driveshafts to travel at different speeds. The Part-Time 4x4 NP231 only allows the front and rear shafts to travel at exactly the same speed. Remember how when you go around a corner all 4 wheels travel at different speeds due to the arc of the circle? Well...Part-Time forces both driveshafts to spin at the same speed....so if you use Part-Time on high traction surfaces....kaboom, something blows up. Front wheels must be allowed to slip to account for this difference.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Vodkaman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lucky you are! You can swap to 242 TC, and have a proper indication.
I will try to pick up a sunny day and look at my dash board too. Maybe I have same luck.
Vodkaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The Full-Time indicator will never light in a Wrangler.
Never say never.

Once I get the 242 in there, I'll have to figure out how to get that lamp to light up when I shift it into fulltime. The above picture was taken during a gauge test where you hold the trip meter reset button while turning the ignition to "on."

Edit: It would be nice to have the "4 LO" lamp light up also when appropriate. Hmmm...
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
WVTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm new and I got it used, so when I shift to

4H = Part Time light
4L = Part Time light

Is there no 4LO light????
WVTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTJ View Post
Is there no 4LO light????
You are correct, there is no 4Lo light since it's hard to not know when you're in 4Lo.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
WVTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep was totaled when I got it I knew 4Lo worked, just figured the bulb was burned out.
WVTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.