Full frame doors not fitting quit right...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full frame doors not fitting quit right...?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Full frame doors not fitting quit right...?

The 1999 TJ i purchased a couple months back has been great! a couple things here and there that ive fixed etc but for the most part, no real issues. It was owned by a older lady that didnt even know how to use the 4x4. The Jeep was never been wrecked and there is no paint work, records, damage, over spray, misc mismatched hardware etc etc anywhere (used to work part time in body shop so know what to look for lol).
Well here in FL the rains are on.... and i noticed the other day that there were some rain drops along the top door frame above the passenger window on the inside after a rain storm. The windows were all the way up and then i noticed it! the door frame doesnt fit tight against the seal along the top trailing edge that that has the big sweeping curve. I can see light between the frame and the door seal. At a quick glance i dont see any way to adjust the doors for this. The hinges all look good and dont appear to be distorted, bent or anything. The door opens and closes just fine and no issues with it latching. Any suggestions? door frame flex'd? The window rolls up and down perfectly smooth to. Door seals are not damaged or flattened and appear to be in perfect shape. The drivers side fits perfect.

JB73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All Jeeps leak .. it's just some do it more that others.

Is this a hard top .. or soft top with door surrounds ?
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

another question is are they factory full doors. I know there are some manufactures of aftermarket full doors, haven't heard anything bad or good about them.
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My bad...its a soft top with door surrounds. The surrounds are like new, fit tight and no worpage. Like i said u can see light between seal and door frame but only at the sweeping top corner near your head. When i close the door it shakes a little more due to the fact its not fitting against the seal tight. The drivers door fits tight and no shake. When i say shake....its doesnt close with a more solid thud..im sure you get the idea. Oh and they are factory marked doors.
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im wondering if possibly the prior owner closed the door and something was in the way...maybe distorting the window frame...? I know the window has some movement in and out and is only guided by the frame tracks...wondering if i could weak it, bent the window frame in a 1/4"...issue i see with that is possible breaking paint somewhere, some place around where the winsow frame meets the main door.....
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im pretty sure you can adjust the striker hoop on the door jamb but first I would check a few other things. Is the door flush with the body when its closed? also the latch in the door is plastic or at least has a plastic coating could be that is wearing some. I would also make sure the surround is installed properly with the Mucket seal in place and the too hand knobs tight on top of the roll bar.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The door appears to be fitting flush... The surrounds are good and the knobs are tight. The latch i wil have to check a bit later today. When i push in on the door it doesnt really close up the gap...due to the fact it seems to be latching perfect. When i push on the top corner of the window frame it will flex and close up the gap...but obviously when i release the pressure off the window, it flexes right back out. I only need less than a 1/4" for a good seal fit at the corner of the window frame. I just dont want to deal with rain getting in....im sure Jeeps leak but this shouldnt be the spot unless something is wrong. Im going to investigate a little more tonight.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you probably checked this but the weather-stripping is in good shape right?
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
MPETESS10

pics would help ALOT in this scenario
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
JB73
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes weather strip looks great! I will post some pics up later as i dont have the jeep with me right this second. Not to restate it 100x's lol but its just at the top of the window frame right where it makes the sweeping bend from horizon to vertical / the corner by where your head would be. Everywhere else it looks to fit ok. The gap around the door all looks even. Ill post pics hopefully tonight.
Thanks for help so far.
Unread 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

After you verify that the bottom of the door is seating properly, is sitting flush, and the latch is adjusted correctly, you can (your decision, if you dare)...

I had this problem after a certain teenager dropped one of my doors, here is how I fixed it:

1 - sit in Jeep and turn sideways facing the door
2 - place feet firmly on door sill
3 - roll window down
4 - pull door in against your knees
5 - grab top rear corner of door and give it a quick sharp pull
6 - get out of Jeep and face door
7 - close door
8 - check door seating at top rear corner of door
9 - repeat as nescessary

Be careful to only make small adjustments at a time!

Do not forget step 3!

DISCLAIMER - you are taking internet advise of an unknown person, if you attempt this and cause damage to your vehicle you have no one to blame but your self.

Ok, all of that being said... It's no big deal. It took me two quick tugs to get my door to seal. It could have just been shut on something and bent.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check to see if the edge of the soft top is bent down and being sandwiched between the door and the surround. Mine does this and creates a few issues like yours.

Tags
full , door

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.