Full Door outer handle replacement - comb clips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Full Door outer handle replacement - comb clips

I've read everything I can about replacing the outer door handles. I get stuck on the Chilton directions to "Disengage tail of retainer from handle keeper. Using a long flat blade, tap the handle keepers upward and remove from the door handle"

Napa guys didn't know what a handle keeper was even with the photo.

I basically don't understand how the "comb clips"(I think they are called, the two clips that hold the handle to the door) work.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the 'handle keeper' attached to the door? and slides to release the clips? Maybe that is what i'm supposed to "tap up" to release the handle.?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Job is done

Thought I should finish this by explaining how dumb i am and warn against looking at chilton diagrams to closely.

Handle keeper is not a tool, but inside the door "keeping the handle" in place. It slide down from the top to install. removal means pushing it up past the brass clips.

The keeper is also brass, heavy, and not attached to anything when removed. (as it clucks to the bottom of the door when removed)

Re-installing them is a bit a of trick (with XL sized hands). Removing window would make it much easier.

If anyone has questions, let me know as I'm now a "pro".

Got a bumper/tire carrier coming soon. (Rampage 76610) Any pro guides on dropping the gas tank to gain access to the bumper/frame crossbar? (i'm all ears, and kinda slow)
post #4 of 6 Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
2003JeepRuby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, quick question, how do I properly install new door handles using those handle keepers....it seems as if they are loose....should I use the gasket from the old handle and use both gaskets together to make it more snug....please let me know what you think....
post #5 of 6 Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My new handles had a gasket on it. I only used one.

The handle keepers are hard to get inplace as they slide in from above. I had to sort of start them at an angle slide it down a bit and then square them up. Roll down the window (or remove is better) and "tap" them in from above. (and try not to break the glass) Once you slide it down so that 2-3 teeth are showing below the clip your handles should be very snug.

Did this help?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Dsmall0491
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone know where to get new clips?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.