Full Door outer handle replacement - comb clips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full Door outer handle replacement - comb clips

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Full Door outer handle replacement - comb clips

I've read everything I can about replacing the outer door handles. I get stuck on the Chilton directions to "Disengage tail of retainer from handle keeper. Using a long flat blade, tap the handle keepers upward and remove from the door handle"

Napa guys didn't know what a handle keeper was even with the photo.

I basically don't understand how the "comb clips"(I think they are called, the two clips that hold the handle to the door) work.

Am I missing something?

SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the 'handle keeper' attached to the door? and slides to release the clips? Maybe that is what i'm supposed to "tap up" to release the handle.?
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Job is done

Thought I should finish this by explaining how dumb i am and warn against looking at chilton diagrams to closely.

Handle keeper is not a tool, but inside the door "keeping the handle" in place. It slide down from the top to install. removal means pushing it up past the brass clips.

The keeper is also brass, heavy, and not attached to anything when removed. (as it clucks to the bottom of the door when removed)

Re-installing them is a bit a of trick (with XL sized hands). Removing window would make it much easier.

If anyone has questions, let me know as I'm now a "pro".

Got a bumper/tire carrier coming soon. (Rampage 76610) Any pro guides on dropping the gas tank to gain access to the bumper/frame crossbar? (i'm all ears, and kinda slow)
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
2003JeepRuby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, quick question, how do I properly install new door handles using those handle keepers....it seems as if they are loose....should I use the gasket from the old handle and use both gaskets together to make it more snug....please let me know what you think....
2003JeepRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My new handles had a gasket on it. I only used one.

The handle keepers are hard to get inplace as they slide in from above. I had to sort of start them at an angle slide it down a bit and then square them up. Roll down the window (or remove is better) and "tap" them in from above. (and try not to break the glass) Once you slide it down so that 2-3 teeth are showing below the clip your handles should be very snug.

Did this help?
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Dsmall0491
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone know where to get new clips?
Dsmall0491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.