Fuel Woes (pump, relay, connectors?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Woes (pump, relay, connectors?)

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
MDTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel Woes (pump, relay, connectors?)

What's wrong: My fuel pump relay is wearing out every few months causing the Jeep to die suddenly or not run. I don't want to be replacing it 4 times a year. I also want to trust my Jeep on the trail without risking being stranded in the wilderness.

What could be causing the apparent extra wear on the relay? Is that just a symptom, or the cause? Have you had this issue?

ALL THE BACKSTORY:

Purchased the Jeep last November and it ran just fine. Several months down the road the engine wouldn't start smoothly every time. Occasionally needed two or three cranks to fire. Within 10 days it worsened to the point of dying while driving if I hit a bump or jostled it too much. (That's not good for an off-road vehicle.)

IN THE SHOP:
I had it towed to the shop because it finally wouldn't start at all. guys discovered a weak/dirty connection in the wires at the fuel pump. They cleaned it up and snapped it all back together. No charge, all was good.

NEXT ISSUE:
One month down the road the same issue began occurring, and just like last time the severity increased slowly. It left me stranded a block from the office on the way home one night. Hesitant to tow it back to the shop I jiggled the "problem" wires from last time with no results. I learned to switch the horn relay and test for pump pressure near the engine. No fuel was making it to the engine, until I swapped the relays and the Jeep started fine. (of course, now the horn wouldn't work)

Solved. Until...

YESTERDAY: The engine died right after startup. I restarted with no problem, but by the end of the day it was taking three cranks just to run. This morning it just quit a block from home. I was desperately late already, and after five cranks was thankfully off and running to my meeting. After the meeting it wouldn't fire at all. There was no fuel at the engine. I swapped the relays, and it started fine. Oddly, the horn works too.

I have checked and cleaned the connection wires, they seem fine.
I do have a new pump on the self I can install, but have really hoped to avoid dropping the tank if that's not the issue.

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
MDTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where's all the love?
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get this fixed?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Based on the last fix where swapping the relay got it going again but the old relay still functioned in its new position, I'd wager the problem lies in the fuel pump relay socket. I'd recommend cleaning the terminals in the fuel pump relay socket and ohming the wires while shaking them a bit to see if there may be a short or degradation of the wiring.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
MDTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Did you get this fixed?
Nope, not fixed yet. I suspect the current relay will degrade again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Based on the last fix where swapping the relay got it going again but the old relay still functioned in its new position, I'd wager the problem lies in the fuel pump relay socket. I'd recommend cleaning the terminals in the fuel pump relay socket and ohming the wires while shaking them a bit to see if there may be a short or degradation of the wiring.
Not a bad suggestion. I will check on this to see if there's any wiring issues at the PDC.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the fuel pump motor is going & creating problems for the relay. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you found the problem was at the fuel pump relay wiring or socket.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
MDTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Sounds like the fuel pump motor is going & creating problems for the relay. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you found the problem was at the fuel pump relay wiring or socket.
Is the solution pulling the gas tank and replacing the fuel pump assembly?
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTJ View Post

Is the solution pulling the gas tank and replacing the fuel pump assembly?
If you can't find the wiring issue then yes.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wondering if you've found anything or fixed this yet.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel pump , relays , running issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.