fuel spill when using gas can - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel spill when using gas can

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

fuel spill when using gas can

Hey Folks, In seven years of driving the TJ, I've had to fill up from a spare can only twice. The first time was from a Scepter mil spec can with the Scepter gasoline filler spout, and the second was from a commercial Blitz can with it's included spout. Both times the little flap that's at the deepest part of the fill port prevented the fuel from flowing down the filler neck. With the Scepter I happened to have a long skinny funnel with me, so I just stuffed it into the fill port past the little flap and poured the fuel in. The combination of the heavy 5 gallon can, long Scepter spout and the long funnel was awkward to say the least. When I used the Blitz can, I didn't have the funnel along, so I just stuck my hand down in there and held the flap open with my finger. Needless to say the fuel pouring over my hand wasn't pleasant, and even with a good wash and lots of moisturizer my skin was still dry and itchy a day later. On one occasion we had to fill up my wife's Nissan Altima from the Scepter and had the same trouble we had with the TJ. What am I doing wrong? I'm going to get a super siphon, which should make any future use a lot easier, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be this trying.

Thanks,
Adam

'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use the steel Blitz "NATO" style cans. I put a can on top of my spare tire and run a length of fuel line hose from the can to the filler hole. I suck on the hose to create a siphon and fill. I have never had to eat gas and this way allows me to do other things while the gas can is emptying.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

get a funnel that fits well, or dont run out of gas.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use a plastic Walmart cheapo can and spout and have NEVER had that problem.
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lots of the cheap cans have a small enough spout that you can shove into the flap. I've done it several times on several cars and never had that problem. One time I had to use a jerry can I just use a pen to hold the flap open and used the pocket clip to hole it in place on the filler neck. Not as fast as a funnel through the flap but much better than using your finger.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
redvett94

Do not run out of gas as the pump will die a early death. The pump is lubricated by the gas and running out will ruin the bushings and seize up sooner or later.
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If your skin is that sensitive, put some rubber gloves in your "glovebox".

I use gasoline as a skin cleanser, then I smear on some motor oil to make my skin soft and smell good.
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
Do not run out of gas as the pump will die a early death. The pump is lubricated by the gas and running out will ruin the bushings and seize up sooner or later.
Is the pump gear or diaphragm driven?...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.