Fuel spill EVERYTIME I fill up my Jeep now - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel spill EVERYTIME I fill up my Jeep now

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Like this?

YouTube - Jeep Wrangler Fuel Overflow Issue
or?
YouTube - More Jeep Wrangler Fuel Overflow Issue
or in a new JK?
YouTube - jeep gas issue

Yeah, it's a big problem that Chrysler doesn't want to admit. Their fix is to replace the tank with the same one that eventually fails. Search the threads and grab the number to HQ to voice your issue, some have gotten results, most other have failed. Be sure to file a complaint here too: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
ps49556n
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a well known problem and as has been said Chrysler is not recalling the defective part. You can call the chrysler corporate support number and while they will not acknowledge that it is a problem, they will help you out...how much they will help is dependent on your warranty status.... I went through this a few weeks ago and because my jeep is 5k over the warranty I have to pay for any diagnostic charges plus an undetermined amount of the actually cost to replace the tank.

Long story short, after spending $120 of my money and not getting any closer to a resolution, I decided to just live with it. Remember, though before even attempting to fix this that chrysler has not done anything to actually correct the issue....replacing a faulty fuel tank with a NEW faulty fuel tank means that you WILL have this issue down the road again.
ps49556n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
hahaderekface
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I have a 2005 TJ Sport myself, and one day last spring, I was kicking back, just taking in the warm weather while filling up. When the tank finally got to that familiar click, I'd guess about two cups of gas shot out the filler opening.

Took it to the dealer a while back (though they ended up being the worst dealer I've ever dealt with) and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. But they did manage to find about $1400 worth of other insanely overpriced work. Note to anyone in Maryland - avoid all Antwerpen dealers.

Anyway, sadly, my solution has been the old fashioned one. Mental math. Knowing how many gallons your tank holds, how much fuel is still in its belly, a little subtraction and rounding for safety/stupidity, and voila! An almost full tank with no gas on your pants.
hahaderekface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I left the pump running on auto one time and went in to piss and came back out and I had pumped over 20 gallons of gas out and as we all know the TJ doesnt hold this much. Just imagine where the rest was and it was still pumping too so ever since then I havent trust the auto kick off feature and I just listen.

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
corkster
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like its not venting.
corkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahaderekface View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I have a 2005 TJ Sport myself, and one day last spring, I was kicking back, just taking in the warm weather while filling up. When the tank finally got to that familiar click, I'd guess about two cups of gas shot out the filler opening.

Took it to the dealer a while back (though they ended up being the worst dealer I've ever dealt with) and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. But they did manage to find about $1400 worth of other insanely overpriced work. Note to anyone in Maryland - avoid all Antwerpen dealers.

Anyway, sadly, my solution has been the old fashioned one. Mental math. Knowing how many gallons your tank holds, how much fuel is still in its belly, a little subtraction and rounding for safety/stupidity, and voila! An almost full tank with no gas on your pants.
I look like an idiot but I fill up with my ear right on the filler the whole time. There's too much road noise around me and I can hear the difference in tone when the fuel starts to rush up the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
Yeah, it's a big problem that Chrysler doesn't want to admit. Their fix is to replace the tank with the same one that eventually fails. Search the threads and grab the number to HQ to voice your issue, some have gotten results, most other have failed. Be sure to file a complaint here too: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint
Wow, I bet many have this issue but no one knows how to file a complaint. I think I'll start a thread just for this...
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #22
TMIB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's the main thread on the topic, including info on how to file a complaint, no need for more threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ga...illing-872096/
TMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #23
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIB View Post
Here's the main thread on the topic, including info on how to file a complaint, no need for more threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ga...illing-872096/
The other threads are people *****ing... This thread is for people to act...

I started a thread to start a "petition" to the NHTSA. Everyone here should fill out this form and send it to them. If we all do this they should seriously look into the issue. Time to act people!
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
Naasau
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Utz View Post
Do you have any reference saying that Chrysler is refusing to address the issue? I found a work around though. When I fill up I put it on the first click. It pumps slower but hasn't overflowed on me since. I still want the problem fixed
I have bad news for you, that is only a temporary fix. That's what I did for about three months, but it seems that whatever sucks in the design is progressive. So now, it spews anyway. Another solution is to wait till the gas tank light kicks on then put in 15 gallons. It is a good safe round number that is close to full, but not close enough to get you covered in gas.
Naasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #25
Naasau
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As an observation, can anyone get a moderator to sticky this particular thread since the problem seems to be so prevalent? That way we could get way more people to fill out complaint forms with the gov to force Chrysler to address this issue.

Also, a friend of mine had a good suggestion: anyone who has joined the facebook group mentioned above about this problem, should pick a favorite politician and kick out a friend request. They'll accept, mainly because it is the easiest, laziest way for them to do their job. Then, send them a suggestion that they join the group. This will be especially effective if said person of power is on a board responsible for automotive oversight of some variety.
Naasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #26
storm4t2

Overflowing gas

I have the same problem with my 2007 Wrangler. Over flows every time I fill up.

QUOTE=Sgt_Utz;8713304]So for about the last month every time I fill up my '05 Rubi it spills out the side of it. The pump kicks off but as it kicks off it spills and I have to clean the gas running down the side of the Jeep. It seems to me there's something wrong with the backpressure that kicks off the pump. I'm guessing the fuel completely fills up the tube and only when the gas hits the nozzle does it shut off.

It's gotten to the point now where I get the wet rags ready so I can clean it when it's done.

Does anyone know what this could be? I've filled up at different stations using many different style nozzles and they all do the same thing! It's really pissing me off! :

And no I haven't done anything to the back of the Jeep that could have damaged or changed it. Thanks![/QUOTE]
storm4t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbon2535 View Post
Interesting.... I recently moved to NY and almost every pump in the area clicks off as I am filling up my Jeep. They click off all the time, repeatedly! I have to pump by hand as slow as it will possibly go. Any time I try to increase the speed the pump clicks off.
Same issue here in southern cali, particularly on "colder" mornings.

Being from Alaska I have to use " " when I talk about "cold" in California.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My solution for now is put in my 15 gallons and pump the last bit very slow.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was contacted by a reporter in the Washington DC area this morning looking to do a story on TV about the Wrangler TJ/LJ/JK fuel overflow issue. Please PM me or email me at rod.lafleur@gmail.com ASAP if you would like to help resolve this issue by bringing it to the attention of the mainstream public, via television.

You will have to travel to or live in the DC area. What a greater venue than our nation's capital to call Jeep/Chrysler to the mat!

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #30
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I’m hoping for another push to get the TJs included for extended gas tank warranties like the ’07 &’08 JKs recently got. I have over 325 handles of TJ owners that have complained of fuel spill out when they fill up. These come from the various threads on various forums. Some have filed complaints, some I’m sure haven’t. Let’s all file. I will continue to add to my list.

If anyone has this problem but has not posted, please do so. We need to know how many TJs are actually having this problem. I know there are always suggestions for work-arounds but please don’t post them here. We want to actually get this resolved.

To help spread the word, I made up some business size cards & carry several everywhere I go. Anytime I see a TJ in a parking lot, I leave one on the windshield. It just asks them if they are having this problem & if so directs them to one of these forums. I hope others will do the same.

The most discouraging thing is that Chrysler has more than doubled the price of replacement tanks. If anyone can verify that they have improved or redesigned the inlet check valve (ICV) let me know. It was supposed to have happened in Feb.

Check valve (ICV) manufactured by Alfmeier.

Also worth noting that while the ’03-’06 TJ tank now lists for $914.00 (last previous price I could find was $427.00), the JK tank lists for $192.00 (2dr) & $265.00 (4dr). All from mopar-wholesale.com (their prices are $630.20, $132.25, & $182.85 respectively)

..and here is the PART NUMBER to the latest Fuel Tank:

52059617-AG COST: $341.60 RETAIL: $427.00

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
52059617AG $914.00 $0.00 $630.20
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank
Fuel tank - 2003-06 2005 - 2006

52059718AH $192.00 $0.00 $132.25
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank - 2 door
2 door 2010 - 2011

52059729AG $265.00 $0.00 $182.85
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank - 4 door
4 door 2009 – 2010

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? FILE COMPLAINT HERE

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.