Fuel spill EVERYTIME I fill up my Jeep now - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel spill EVERYTIME I fill up my Jeep now

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fuel spill EVERYTIME I fill up my Jeep now

So for about the last month every time I fill up my '05 Rubi it spills out the side of it. The pump kicks off but as it kicks off it spills and I have to clean the gas running down the side of the Jeep. It seems to me there's something wrong with the backpressure that kicks off the pump. I'm guessing the fuel completely fills up the tube and only when the gas hits the nozzle does it shut off.

It's gotten to the point now where I get the wet rags ready so I can clean it when it's done.

Does anyone know what this could be? I've filled up at different stations using many different style nozzles and they all do the same thing! It's really pissing me off! :

And no I haven't done anything to the back of the Jeep that could have damaged or changed it. Thanks!

Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Do a search, there is an on going thread regarding this issue. The final resolution was the roll over valve on the fuel tank is faulty.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

fill up tank half way. youl be fine then.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
garbon2535
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting.... I recently moved to NY and almost every pump in the area clicks off as I am filling up my Jeep. They click off all the time, repeatedly! I have to pump by hand as slow as it will possibly go. Any time I try to increase the speed the pump clicks off.
garbon2535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
gus54
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Listen carefully and you can hear when the tank is almost full, then slow down the nozzle until it clicks off. Works for me.
gus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
JustChillin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i had that problem for 5 years and it just stopped one day. couldnt tell you what it is.
JustChillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
Do a search, there is an on going thread regarding this issue. The final resolution was the roll over valve on the fuel tank is faulty.
Sorry, I didn't even think to search on this because I didn't think it would be common. This an expensive part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudnj View Post
fill up tank half way. youl be fine then.
Wow I am amazed by your wisdom... What a worthless post. If I didn't fill it up so often I might consider that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Listen carefully and you can hear when the tank is almost full, then slow down the nozzle until it clicks off. Works for me.
So you have the same issue otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChillin View Post
i had that problem for 5 years and it just stopped one day. couldnt tell you what it is.
You put up with theat problem for 5 years? 1 month is enough...!
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Mine has been clicking off constantly while filling up since around mid summer. Goes about 5 seconds than clicks off. I've also had code P1494 (Leak detection pump issue) which I've marked as the reason. Only recently has gas started coming back out

Went to my mechanic and they had the jeep for two days and couldn't figure it out. Told me this is a dealship type of issue. Needless to say, i've been putting it off...Sucks taking 10 minutes to pump gas when it's 20 degrees out though...
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
garbon2535
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
Mine has been clicking off constantly while filling up since around mid summer. Goes about 5 seconds than clicks off. I've also had code P1494 (Leak detection pump issue) which I've marked as the reason. Only recently has gas started coming back out

Went to my mechanic and they had the jeep for two days and couldn't figure it out. Told me this is a dealship type of issue. Needless to say, i've been putting it off...Sucks taking 10 minutes to pump gas when it's 20 degrees out though...
I might have thought this was a problem with my Jeep if it wasn't for the fact that it happened to my Toyota too. It does suck when it takes 10 minuets to fill up. I know it's not the Jeep because I have taken a trip back to Michigan and it doesn't happen back there. And there are certain pumps around town that dont do it either... but most do.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
garbon2535
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
This is true. I spent a summer filling up yatchs while in college. The fuel vents on many yatchs are located below the fuel fill cap. You have to listen closely to the vent as to not spill anything in the water. You can easily hear the fuel rush to the top of the fill pipe.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbon2535 View Post
This is true. I spent a summer filling up yatchs while in college. The fuel vents on many yatchs are located below the fuel fill cap. You have to listen closely to the vent as to not spill anything in the water. You can easily hear the fuel rush to the top of the fill pipe.
With as much fuel as the Jeep drinks, I don't want to babysit it. I'd rather fix the issue and have it work as it is designed.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Mooseknuckles
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The dealership response is to replace your whole gas tank. I've got another 10k on my warranty, so i'm gonna try to hold out for a little bit until Chrysler admits it's a big problem and do it for free.
Mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
warrior99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes it will do it to me when it shuts off after only a second and I have to go slow. I figured out that if you change the angle of the nozzle or pull it out a little bit then it will fix it. I don't know if this will work for you guys though.
[z] . [z]--O-[z]
warrior99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
suesjeep

I have the exact same issue with my 2008 4door. Gas comes spewing out, seems like maybe even as much as a pint. My husband found another thread from another site with pages of the exact complaint. It sucks and it's messy!
From what I have read, Chrysler refuses to address the issue. Seems pretty risky to me on their part not to take care of it, regardless of the expense.
suesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesjeep View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 2008 4door. Gas comes spewing out, seems like maybe even as much as a pint. My husband found another thread from another site with pages of the exact complaint. It sucks and it's messy!
From what I have read, Chrysler refuses to address the issue. Seems pretty risky to me on their part not to take care of it, regardless of the expense.
Do you have any reference saying that Chrysler is refusing to address the issue? I found a work around though. When I fill up I put it on the first click. It pumps slower but hasn't overflowed on me since. I still want the problem fixed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.