Fuel Pump Replacement Project - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Fuel Pump Replacement Project

Next week I will be tackling changing out the fuel pump on my 1997 modified wrangler sahara I recently got off craigslist. I have bought a Bosch 67655 new fuel pump from Amazon as well as a new fuel pump seal and lock ring from Quadratec. Before I drop the gas tank and start this endeavor, is there anything else I should plan on replacing or that would be nice to do while I have the gas tank out and fuel drained? I have read some things about upgrading fuel injectors to a 4 port design, however the reviews were mixed on its benefits.

Basically what started this all was my Jeep started having hard starts and excessive cranking time. I did some troubleshooting and found my starter was bad so I upgraded to a Powermaster 9416 Ultra Torque starter to help with getting my higher compression 4.6L stroker going. After installing the new starter I also tested fuel rail pressure and found that to only be 40 psi and after turning the key off it rapidly dropped to 20 psi then down to 0 psi over the course of 15 minutes or so. I've read several threads here and have learned a lot so far, I think I'm ready to undertake this project as soon as the parts arrive and I have some days off. I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything either required or recommended. Thanks!

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
Rubicon express 4.5" springs,1" spacers
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 PM
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Although the injectors have nothing to do with dropping the tank, if you're going to have it garaged for a bit I'd at least have the injectors tested if you have somewhere close to take them to. The Dr Injector up here gave me a price break on some tested 4 hole 19 pound Bosch injectors with my stock ones as trade ins. I don't remember but aren't the stroker ones supposed to be 21 to 24 lb ones? If they have been upgraded from stock like they should have been then they should be 4 hole already.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 PM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Skid plate? Tank straps?

post #4 of 16 Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
Although the injectors have nothing to do with dropping the tank, if you're going to have it garaged for a bit I'd at least have the injectors tested if you have somewhere close to take them to. The Dr Injector up here gave me a price break on some tested 4 hole 19 pound Bosch injectors with my stock ones as trade ins. I don't remember but aren't the stroker ones supposed to be 21 to 24 lb ones? If they have been upgraded from stock like they should have been then they should be 4 hole already.

To be honest I am not sure what injectors I currently have in the Jeep, I think they are stock as the parts list I got with the wrangler does not mention any injector upgrades. I haven't looked for anywhere to take the injectors for testing and I had planned on just looking for a plug and play pair online if possible. If you have any links or recommended stores to order from I'd appreciate the guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mb00m View Post
Skid plate? Tank straps?
Are you suggesting I replace these items or add them? I have a kilby gas tank skid installed already and I guess while its down I'll repaint it. As far as the strap goes I am not sure what state it's in.

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
post #5 of 16 Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Du510
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Skid plate and straps.
QD cleaner for the connections.
Some clean towels to wipe down the inside of the tank when you take the pump out.
Pretty straightforward otherwise.

'97 TJ
post #6 of 16 Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTJWrangler View Post
To be honest I am not sure what injectors I currently have in the Jeep, I think they are stock as the parts list I got with the wrangler does not mention any injector upgrades. I haven't looked for anywhere to take the injectors for testing and I had planned on just looking for a plug and play pair online if possible. If you have any links or recommended stores to order from I'd appreciate the guidance.
I'd stay with the stock fuel injectors, they are well known to work absolutely fine.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll plan on dropping the gas tank, cleaning it out, and installing the new fuel pump assembly. Additionally I'll check the straps and repaint the skid plate depending on its condition. I'll also stick with the stock fuel injectors. On another bit of news I received my Bosch fuel pump from Amazon however the pump was broken upon arrival and I am skeptical if it really is a Bosch pump or just a random pump in a Bosch box. Something seemed off about how the fuel pump was just packaged in the box and wrapped in packing paper. Amazon is sending a replacement ASAP so we will see what happens.

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
post #8 of 16 Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 AM
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I recall it took me forever to source a new Bosch fuel pump for my 97 early last year. Everyone was out of stock for a very long time. I finally got one, but make sure you're buying from a reputable seller
post #9 of 16 Old 08-05-2017, 09:27 AM
logem
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my fuel pump with a Bosch unit from Amazon about 3 weeks ago. The unit was wrapped in brown paper like you describe, but I have no doubt that it was a Bosch unit.

Since your pump's check valve isn't holding pressure, you won't have to bleed line pressure before disconnecting the line from the tank. Should save you a couple of minutes.

Mike L.
olysteve likes this.

2001 Sahara, 5 Speed Manual with About $18K in upgrades.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

While you have the pump out, cut the vent tube inside the tank
post #11 of 16 Old 08-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
While you have the pump out, cut the vent tube inside the tank
He has a Sahara, it came with a 19 gallon tank and the vent and the gas gauge are set to use all 19 gallons. Not even '97 Saharas came with 15 gallon tanks or 19 gallon tanks made to act like 15 gallon tanks.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well I've finally had a free weekend to work on my Jeep. Skid plate repainted, fuel tank cleaned out, new mounting hardware all around. The new fuel pump works great, 50 psi +-1 psi at the rail. However my worries march on, the jeep is still having a hard time starting. Even after priming several times and having driven around for a bit there is still excessive time before the engine fires up. This applies to both cold starts and starting right after turning the engine off.

I'm at a loss as to what to look at next, my friend has recommended replacing the fuel injectors (i'd replace them with stock ones) or seeing if my spark plugs are going bad.

Also while driving around I heard a strange metal on metal sound coming from the front end when I was engine braking/coasting down hill. I was driving in 2H and I have a lock rite locker in the front. No idea what could be making that sound. Additionally the rear differential is running hot, I'm planning on doing a full fluid flush soon. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2
post #13 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 07:38 PM
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did the metal on metal sound happen at all when you weren't driving? My opda went bad and it would make a racket when I just revved the engine. Sounds can be really hard to diagnose without hearing it in person.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 PM
OFF2BFE
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 has a similar issue starting... But makes no sense to me
Sits over night and starts fine
After running then sitting for a short period doesn't want to start right away. If I give it a couple second spin, wait a couple seconds, it starts right up.
Haven't put a fuel pressure gauge on it yet to see though.

Fkn Passwords!
post #15 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
BlueTJWrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFF2BFE View Post
My 97 has a similar issue starting... But makes no sense to me
Sits over night and starts fine
After running then sitting for a short period doesn't want to start right away. If I give it a couple second spin, wait a couple seconds, it starts right up.
Haven't put a fuel pressure gauge on it yet to see though.
I haven't had any starting issues after changing out the fuel pump assembly and replacing my fuel injectors. Granted I haven't been able to test much since right after finishing up on the engine I found I had broken teeth on both my front and rear ring gears. I'll post some follow up once I get my Jeep back from the shop.

1997 TJ Sahara
4.6 Stroker Kit
35x12.50x15 bfg mt ko2

Tags
1997 tj , fuel pressure , fuel pump replacement , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.