Fuel pump kill switch design/ set up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel pump kill switch design/ set up

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump kill switch design/ set up

alright, so I want to make and install a fuel pump kill switch. I know there's many other threads here about doing this, but I could not find what i was looking for. After reading through many threads, most of them say that its more effective to have an ignition kill switch or various other kill switches. I want just a fuel pump kill switch because my alarm system has a kill switch built in. I don't really trust my alarm so this is why I want to install a fuel pump switch. now heres the catch, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS/ WIRES. my dad however, does. but he knows nothing about cars. Few questions. Where can I see a write up of everything I need to buy and everything i need to do including pictures. I've searched this forum and google, and i haven't found anything. Also, I've seen many threads talking about installing a relay. I also saw that relays are useful with high current wires, yet the fuel pump wires (from what I've learned), isn't high current/power or whatever. So can i simply cut one of the power wires, and put a switch in and be done with it? If so, where can I find this wire? Because i don't have a FSM or any type of book.
Thanks so much

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is info for a kill switch. You don't have to get fancy an use a magnetic switch. You can use the info here to know what wire to tap into. I used hard switches. I have two in series have them hidden but easy to activate. Updated – TJ Theft Protection ADE/ADE-II w/Light Chaos - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
Neil F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that site makes my eyes hurt thats alot of wiring and write up for one to handle in one sitting lol...
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's very simple. This is all you need. Cut the blue wire and add a switch.

Installing on 2003 - 2004 TJ

If you are installing the ADE System on your 2003 - 2004 model year TJ you will need to find Connector 103. (See location drawing above.)

It is located on the firewall inside the engine compartment. Connector 103 is Black in color and has a total of 14 pins.

You then look for the (Solid) BLUE wire coming from Pin # 9.

Edited the post. I did not realize it pasted multiple times.

Last edited by Neil F.; 03-10-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of a magnetic switch or adding a new hidden switch how about wiring this to the factory rear window wiper switch? I sold my hard top so not going to need that. With the factory look to the switch I would think would work well for hiding the switch in plain sight. Would it be a simple as opening the center console and wiring the ADE relay into that rocker switch? Is wiring into the switch simple?
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Instead of a magnetic switch or adding a new hidden switch how about wiring this to the factory rear window wiper switch? I sold my hard top so not going to need that. With the factory look to the switch I would think would work well for hiding the switch in plain sight. Would it be a simple as opening the center console and wiring the ADE relay into that rocker switch? Is wiring into the switch simple?
i would like to know this as well. i was thinking about this but wasn't sure how it would be done.

also, is there a benefit of using a relay over a hard switch?
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
sixspeeds
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
It's very simple. This is all you need. Cut the blue wire and add a switch.

Installing on 2003 - 2004 TJ

If you are installing the ADE System on your 2003 - 2004 model year TJ you will need to find Connector 103. (See location drawing above.)

It is located on the firewall inside the engine compartment. Connector 103 is Black in color and has a total of 14 pins.

You then look for the (Solid) BLUE wire coming from Pin # 9.

Edited the post. I did not realize it pasted multiple times.

When you say "and add a switch" what do you exactly mean. How do you go about this. Sorry I'm not very savvy with electrical stuff yet so I need a little more detail in regards to how this switch is put in. Can you offer any further explanation? Thanks!
sixspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Neil, when you say the blue wire from Pin #9, are you saying that's the power to the fuel pump? Or does that apply only if you are doing the full ADE system?

I too would like to setup a simple fuel pump kill switch (maybe later suplimented with a seperate switch for the clutch kill, but I'll worry about that later), but I'd rather not get into alot of wiring, since I've not had much experience with electrical stuff. I'd just like to cut the fuel pump power (or ground?), run two wires into the tub somewhere and insert a switch.

I was thinking there's probably an easy place somewhere more towards the rear of the vehicle where I could cut the fuel pump wire (rather than under the hood near the computer), and then mount the switch somewhere NOT on the dash, since I imagine most folks would look for a kill switch on the dash.
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Isn't it easier just to pop the hood and whip out the starter relay? What thief is going to spend ages trying to start a car with a dead-starter?
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
Isn't it easier just to pop the hood and whip out the starter relay? What thief is going to spend ages trying to start a car with a dead-starter?
For occassional instances maybe, but how often do you really want to be doing that? Switch works easily every time. Also, if thief decides he's willing to keep trying a missing relay is pretty obvious and not too hard to jump. With a switch and the circuit interrupt both well hidden seems a lot less obvious and therefore harder to defeat.
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Neil, when you say the blue wire from Pin #9, are you saying that's the power to the fuel pump? Or does that apply only if you are doing the full ADE system?

I too would like to setup a simple fuel pump kill switch (maybe later suplimented with a seperate switch for the clutch kill, but I'll worry about that later), but I'd rather not get into alot of wiring, since I've not had much experience with electrical stuff. I'd just like to cut the fuel pump power (or ground?), run two wires into the tub somewhere and insert a switch.

I was thinking there's probably an easy place somewhere more towards the rear of the vehicle where I could cut the fuel pump wire (rather than under the hood near the computer), and then mount the switch somewhere NOT on the dash, since I imagine most folks would look for a kill switch on the dash.
The Blue wire is for the ADE. The ADE cuts the operation of a number if items preventing the vehicle from starting at all. Cutting that wire vs cutting a fuel pump wire is the same amount of work You can put the switch anywhere in the interior. I actually have two switchec in series. Hitting either switch will do it. If both are set, you would have to get both of them. Both are well hidden but in easy reach.
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post

Because you don't want to tip some one off what you did to disable it. If some one who wanted you car happened to observe you, they may more easly find it. Now granted they would have to look under the hood, then go to the parts store or use another relay. If some one in your neighborhood sees you do that regularly, they will figure it out.

Last edited by Neil F.; 06-08-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Because you don't want to tip some one off what you did to disable it. If some one who wanted you car happened to observe you, they may more easly find it. Now granted they would have to look under the hood, then go to the parts store or use another relay. If some one in you neighbor hood sees you do that regularly, they will figure it out.
Good point, I only ever bother if I'm leaving her in an airport car park... that said lat time I parked in one I found leaving the lights on a most effective immobilizer.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
dworjan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm working on this too (soon as it gets less than blazingly hot outside), but I'm a bit more electrical wiring savvy, so let me see if I can help.

The ADE system is designed to kill everything that needs the ignition on to function. So like it says, fuel pump, ignition coil, etc. Now all that relay coil, diode, magnetic reed swich and so on that is added to that second diagram is simply to allow you to use a magnet to close the circuit, but not need to keep the magnet there once the circuit is closed.

Now if you want to put in a regular switch, like what I'm doing, all that stuff can be replaced by just the switch. So all you really need for this project is a set of wire cutters/strippers, an on/off switch (make sure you get a 12V DC one rated for 30amps or more), and some extra wire to splice into the existing wire and allowing you to run your switch to wherever you want it. I'd tell you what gauge you need, but I haven't taken the panel off to look. You want the same thickness as what is there. If you expose the wiring that you need to cut, you should be able to go over to Radio Shack and have them get you the right stuff. Get some wire nuts, heat shrink, electrical tape or a soldering set to be able to connect the wires together.

Then all you need to do for your switch once you disconnect the battery, is find the wire (using the ADE writeup) for your year that runs the ADE circuit. Cut it, add some extra wire to both ends of the cut, and then add your switch to the extra wire. As long as all your connections are good, put the switch wherever you want, reconnect the battery, and there you go.

Chris
dworjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Blue wire is for the ADE. The ADE cuts the operation of a number if items preventing the vehicle from starting at all. Cutting that wire vs cutting a fuel pump wire is the same amount of work You can put the switch anywhere in the interior. I actually have two switchec in series. Hitting either switch will do it. If both are set, you would have to get both of them. Both are well hidden but in easy reach.
ahh, I gotcha, Yea I chould just splice in an interrupt switch to that blue wire then? I've got a 2006, wonder if my wiring is the same?

Tags
cut , fuel , kill , pump , switch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.