Fuel pump assembly vs. fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel pump assembly vs. fuel pump?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump assembly vs. fuel pump?

What is the difference? I know the jeep fuel pump/assembly is bad. It wont fire up right away. it takes 2 key turns to fire up. And jerry thought it was the regulator on it. Bottom line would a new fuel pump work? And what all is in the fuel pump assembly? Im on a strict budget and trying to fix it properly among the cheapest route. Thanks all.

4-4.5 inch susp. lift. 1 in performance acs. body lift. 5 in offroad foglights. Brushgaurd. Atoz corner armors.Round 4in taillights.D35/30 combo. upgraded horn.radio.8inbazzoka tube.highlift jack. 1.5in wheel spacers. 33' goodyear wrangler mt's.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get the whole sending unit and pump. With the whole unit you will get a new pressure regulator. Its alot easier to change out, Plus its all new, And if you have a problem you dont have to dissemble it to figure it out. Sometimes the valve in the regulator/pump lets the fuel drain back to the tank which is the reason for the long starting. In the long run its worth the extra $$ for the whole unit. Good luck
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Get the whole sending unit and pump. With the whole unit you will get a new pressure regulator. Its alot easier to change out, Plus its all new, And if you have a problem you dont have to dissemble it to figure it out. Sometimes the valve in the regulator/pump lets the fuel drain back to the tank which is the reason for the long starting. In the long run its worth the extra $$ for the whole unit. Good luck
how much do the units run?
4-4.5 inch susp. lift. 1 in performance acs. body lift. 5 in offroad foglights. Brushgaurd. Atoz corner armors.Round 4in taillights.D35/30 combo. upgraded horn.radio.8inbazzoka tube.highlift jack. 1.5in wheel spacers. 33' goodyear wrangler mt's.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse27 View Post
how much do the units run?
Around $250 for the whole unit. The pump alone is around $125 or so. Look at ebay, Find it cheap and take it to advance auto or auto zone and have them price match it. Thats what i do with all the parts i buy, Find it dirt cheap, Then go to the local parts places and price match.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine last year. The full unit is well worth the money, time saved and lack of irritation.
photontraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
LeftoverSalmon
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When my pump went I only replaced the pump. Its a bit of a pain to get the filter on and get the pump situated in the assembly but its not too bad. I'd rather save the $ - the whole assembly is kinda expensive.
LeftoverSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Before you replace anything be sure to do the fuel rail pressure tests.
This will determine what you do need to replace.

From your symptoms it sounds as if it's the antidrainback valve in the pressure regulator/filter.

For giggles try turning your key from the OFF position to the RUN position, wait a few seconds, turn the key back to the OFF position. Now turn the key
from the OFF position to the RUN position, wait a few seconds and then try to start it.
If it starts quicker it would point to the drainback valve.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
jamaicanmecrazy
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Around $250 for the whole unit. The pump alone is around $125 or so. Look at ebay, Find it cheap and take it to advance auto or auto zone and have them price match it. Thats what i do with all the parts i buy, Find it dirt cheap, Then go to the local parts places and price match.
Your telling us you get Advance to price match a buy it now on Ebay?????
My understanding is it must be another retailer and not Etailer.
They also claim in stock but they never have it in stock either and have to order it.
jamaicanmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicanmecrazy View Post
Your telling us you get Advance to price match a buy it now on Ebay?????
My understanding is it must be another retailer and not Etailer.
They also claim in stock but they never have it in stock either and have to order it.

We buy alot of parts from them, Napa, Orielys, etc that they would rather take the price dig than not sell it at all. All i have to do is print the auction out, take it to them to prove that i can for X price to the door, If they dont want to make money that day, Ill wait a few days and get it for the price i want. I also have the federal/state tax exempt numbers along with a D-license. So if its a dealer only part, I get it at cost. But anybody should be able to take in a paper showing a price to the door, If its lower they should match it, If not wouldn't give them my money. BTW Advance and Auto Zone have Ebay accounts and are "super sellers" so they know they aren't loosing any money.
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
mdori
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If it's just the pressure regulator they can be had fairly cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...Q5fAccessories
mdori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #11
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine needs one too (Anti Drain Back) The best price I found for the whole assembly was at Rockauto,com Like $179 + Shipping for a Airtex brand Autozone wants $229
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
jamaicanmecrazy
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
We buy alot of parts from them, Napa, Orielys, etc that they would rather take the price dig than not sell it at all. All i have to do is print the auction out, take it to them to prove that i can for X price to the door, If they dont want to make money that day, Ill wait a few days and get it for the price i want. I also have the federal/state tax exempt numbers along with a D-license. So if its a dealer only part, I get it at cost. But anybody should be able to take in a paper showing a price to the door, If its lower they should match it, If not wouldn't give them my money. BTW Advance and Auto Zone have Ebay accounts and are "super sellers" so they know they aren't loosing any money.
It figures how they vary state to state, we should trade zipcodes and compare.
I'd like to know how some sellers on Ebay can drop ship for less than my dealer cost. My warehouse for fitmaster sell 93-98 Grand Cher headlights $22 each. I found them for less shipped on Ebay. My 2.25" BB $60 shipped on Ebay.
jamaicanmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.