Fuel Pump...... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
DesertStorm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pump......

My TJ crapped on me Sat. evening. The fuel pump is not making any noise, changed relay, etc. How long does it normally take to change the pump? The pump is 99 bux. A whole new drop in assembly is 600. And disadvantages by going with the pump alone and not the whole new tank assembly? Thanks.

*SOON TO BE LINCOLN LOCKED*

97 TJ/2.5L/Auto./31"MTs/Custom Homefab skids/2.5" exhaust no kitty/3" Homefab CAI with cone filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
mrcleanstj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't done one in my tj yet but last winter i did one in my 97 tahoe.
Took about half a day. I bought just the pump motor itself. No problems so far. Are you sure the pump is done? I tested mine by banging on the fuel tank darn thing started working. I didn't trust it though. It did make a few short runs though till i found time to do the job.

A person once told me i was driving beyond the capabilities of my vehicle - obviously they never seen the capabilities of a jeep!

This space saved for info:
post #3 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 AM
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

You must be talking to the stealership if you are looking at $600 for the pump and assembly. I would probably go ahead and replace the whole assembly if I was going to drop the tank. It's not a real difficult job but not something you want to do on a weekly basis. You should be able to pick up the whole assembly at checker for less than $300.

GM 350 Powered 1984 CJ-7

post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can get them on ebay for $200 complete.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Write up on dailydriventj.

I've dropped my tank twice now. Once to reshape the stock tank and skid. Last time to replace the two strainers at the bottom and the fuel/filter regulator that had a leaky check valve. Swapping the strainers and regulator unit only took about an hour and a quarter as I pretty much knew what I was doing with the help of Michael_K's write up. Have a good read of the write up and study the pictures, it'll make the job a lot easier. And make sure the tank has as little fuel as possible to lighten the load.

With the help of the write up, you might be able to do it between two-three hours. I found that one of the hardest parts to do was getting the ring of that holds the pump assembly in place.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
joe130
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a complete fuel sending unit (200 miles on it) on eBay right now that is currently going for $10. Just go to ebay and search for jeep wrangler fuel sending unit.
The swap is pretty easy, just a little time consuming. Lots of writeups out there for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.