Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fuel line modification

484 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pcoplin 
#1 ·
1999 Wrangler 4cyl 5speed manual- Base model

Fuel line at Tank:
This is a short fuel line hose (about 12'')factory made molded on each end for a quick connect/disconnect at the gas tank.
One end is connected to the fuel line coming from the engine to the back of the jeep near the gas tank.
the other end is connected to the fuel pump on top of the gas tank.

I am leaking fuel where it connects to the fuel pump on top of the tank, I've had to tank out a number times, (if I had to I could do it blind folded by now) trying to locate the leak.
the last time I had it out I rigged up a fuel and electrical connections to simulate. Finally found the leak its at the quick connect at the pump.

I disconnected the hose and studied it and didn't see any burs or anything unusual. Then I looked at the Metal nipple which is part of the fuel pump which this hose attaches to, nothing unusual their either.

New Fuel pump at Autozone 2bills (which really isn't the problem at this point) but thought it was initial.
Dealer Item fuel line hose 55bucks

I have always worked on my own cars and trucks while growing up (what I could do in the driveway on my own and sometimes times with buddys')
It dawned on me today, why am I getting so concerned about this and the money, I can remember when a fuel line hose was just that,, a hose, that was crimped at each end on the metal line running to the tank.

Why do I need a factory molded piece of rubber to carry my fuel, when I can just go buy myself some good old fashion fuel line hose ??

Am I overlooking something ?

Frankie
New England

See less See more
#3 ·
Years ago i converted a Suzuki Samurai from the stock 1.3L to a fuel injected 1.8L from a Sidekick. I bought fuel line that was specifically made for the pressures of fuel injection and it was considerably more expensive than the regular stuff. I used several hose clamps on each end on barbed fittings. Worked fine for many years until i sold it.

YMMV

#4 ·
There are two options. Dorman has the quick connect fittings with barbed fittings. You can use these with fuel injection rated hose and fuel injection rated clamps. Probably $20. Or you can buy Russell quick connect fittings to AN and AN to PushLok barb and some PushLok hose. However, the second option will likely run you $50.

I would just buy the factory one if you think it's the problem.

In fact, I may have mine laying around somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.