Fuel Injector O-rings replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Injector O-rings replacement

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fuel Injector O-rings replacement

I recently finished up replacing my spark plugs and cleaning the throttle body on my 05 Unlimited. Noticed the o rings on the fuel injectors were sticking out and some of them torn. Took the fuel rail off and most of the o rings were gone. Going to the dealership tomorrow and pick up some replacements.

I have no experience with fuel systems and never have performed this job before so I wanted to through out the question of what precautions needed here, any tips or tricks, etc.

Does anyone have the p/n for the o rings?

Thanks in advance!!

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

JeepOEMParts.com - For All your Jeep Enthusiast Needs!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Advance Auto carries this part, which means I could fix this today instead of waiting until the stealership opens tomorrow. Any precautions about bying aftermarket o rings?
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand how the o-rings could be torn already. Your Jeep isn't old, have the fuel injectors been removed/replaced already? However, once the fuel rail has been removed, the fuel injectors basically just pull out. The o-ring is what holds it in place, the fuel injector kind of "snaps" into place when the o-ring seats. The bad o-ring is just pulled off & the new o-ring just pulls into place into its seating groove. Just be gentle with the new o-ring, don't stretch it any more than you have to to get it seated, and it'll pull into its o-ring seating area fine.

I wouldn't worry about using the aftermarket o-rings, they should be fine.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I don't understand how the o-rings could be torn already. Your Jeep isn't old, have the fuel injectors been removed/replaced already? However, once the fuel rail has been removed, the fuel injectors basically just pull out. The o-ring is what holds it in place, the fuel injector kind of "snaps" into place when the o-ring seats. The bad o-ring is just pulled off & the new o-ring just pulls into place into its seating groove. Just be gentle with the new o-ring, don't stretch it any more than you have to to get it seated, and it'll pull into its o-ring seating area fine.

I wouldn't worry about using the aftermarket o-rings, they should be fine.
The previous owner may have pulled the fuel rail off at some point. I was surprised also.

Do I need to pull the fuel injectors off the rail, then slide the o-ring on the injector side that seats into the rail OR leave the injector on the rail and install the o ring on the side of the injector that goes into the manifold working it back into its orignal position? Thanks for chiming in Jerry!
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For me, it was much easier to pull the fuel rail off the injectors first, then only pull the individual injectors out of the intake manifold that need their o-ring replaced. I'm by no means an expert on this, I only did this on my TJ years ago to troubleshoot a misfire problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention the FSM recommends lubricating each o-ring a little with fresh engine oil before installing the fuel injectors.

Edit 2: I just checked my FSM & it says to just use the fuel rail to pull all the injectors out of the intake manifold all at once. Then if needed, you can unclip the fuel injectors from the rail as needed. That's not how I did mine but the FSM is likely giving the more correct procedure.

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
For me, it was much easier to pull the fuel rail off the injectors first, then only pull the individual injectors out of the head that need their o-ring replaced. I'm by no means an expert on this, I only did this on my TJ years ago to troubleshoot a misfire problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention the FSM recommends lubricating each new o-ring a little with fresh engine oil before installing them.
Sounds good, thanks again!
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Note the added/changed edits.

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good stuff, thanks!
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Am I supposed to relieve the pressure here? If so, how? Might be too late for that though since I have the rail pulled from the manifold already .
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've replaced a bunch of injector o-rings on various Chrysler vehicles, pull the rail with all the injectors at once... it is much easier and you're much less likely to tear an o-ring in the rail.

Smear some wheel bearing grease on the o-rings prior to reinstalling the rail w/ all fuel injectors on it, just don't glob it on because you don't want to plug the fuel injector pintles.

As for relieving pressure, there should be a shrader valve on the rail somewhere IIRC, remove the cap and press the valve to relieve pressure. Watch you don't get it in your eyes, it burns.

Another way to relieve pressure without the shrader valve is to pull the fuel pump relay and then try to start your Jeep. It may run for a second or two, but this will basically deplete the pressure from the rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

While I have the rail out of the manifold, should I clean the injectors (the tips that go into the manifold)? If so, would throttle body cleaner be ok to use? TIA!
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would not try to clean the injectors using TB cleaner. Also, don't relieve the fuel pressure by turning the key to the start position with the fuel pump relay removed after removing the injectors. Doing so will cause fuel to spray out and a spark could cause a big fire.

Unread 06-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got everything easily installed back and runs great with no codes (so far ) Thanks much!
Unread 06-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Got everything easily installed back and runs great with no codes (so far ) Thanks much!
I'll be doing the same thing by next weekend, I have to replace an injector I believe is leaking and causing my very long engine starts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.