Fuel filter/pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel filter/pump replacement

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel filter/pump replacement

Looks like I am going to have to drop the gas tank to replace my fuel filter and pump. Any tips on making it easy?

Unread 07-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the inner rear fender liner on the driver's side to get to the hoses and wires. Start with a close to empty tank. I am not sure if the wiring harness on yours is the same as on the 2000s, but the little red clip just gets slid over in order to unhook the harness. You don't have to completely pull the red clip out. Make sure you have a new pump assembly gasket to use when you put the new one in. The old one can leak fumes.

If you want to do an aftermarket gas tank skid, do it now while you have the tank out since you'll have to pull the tank again to add one later.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

read this...

DailyDrivenTJ-Fuel Pump Repair

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I started to remove the tank. I got the four bolts that hold the stock skid plate in the rear partially undone, but the bolts are now just spinning. I can't seem to take the nuts all the way off. I soaked them with PB Blaster, but it seems like whatever keeps the bolts from turning has stripped. Am I going to have to take a grinder and cut the bolts in half to remove the nuts?
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can cut the bolts in half just make sure to have a jack under the gas tank to catch it. You can replace the bolts with new 5/16" carriage bolts. And new nuts.

What I did was drill those holes out to 3/8", because they were rounded out anyway. Then welded them in place. So glad I did. Those bolts seem to round out or rust out. Same story on my 85, 77, and 98. CJs and TJ, respectively.

Or try squeezing a screwdriver or pry bar between the crossmember and tank skid before doing anything drastic.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got two bolts undone, but the other two are stubborn. I tried the pry bar/screwdriver method to no avail. In order to use my cutting wheel I need to remove the tow bar first.

Sigh.

Time for a beer and I will go at it again first thing tomorrow.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tank is on the ground. Now to remove the locking ring. I bought a strap wrench but it is not budging. I don't want to break the plastic. Any suggestions?
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind... got it open. I needed an extra pair of hands which my lovely girlfriend provided.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.