Fuel filter, air filter, dirty injectors??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel filter, air filter, dirty injectors???

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel filter, air filter, dirty injectors???

Hello, I joined the forum after googling around for information about changing the fuel filter of my beloved red Jeep.

Two weeks ago, I was going about 45 mph when I felt my car lose power for about 3 seconds. The rmps did not go down immediately, but I gassed it and after 3 seconds it was fine. I thought maybe the O2 sensor. I decided to park my car as it happened again that same day. After a week of not driving it, my husband took it for a spin, put more gas in it and the Jeep did not even cough during the test drive

I continued driving it to school and now it has been doing it every time I drive it. However, now the powerless episodes last longer. It usually happens when I'm in 1st shifting to 2nd, or 2nd shifting to 3rd, right at 2100 rpm. Today I think I barely made it home. When I was gassing it to push it through the gear I felt some thumping underneath my feet, close the stick. The Jeep doesn't jerk or die out when idle, keeps a steady 1100 rpm.

Since there's no check engine light or jerking, I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter, but read here that it's supposed to be a lifetime filter and if I decide to change it, I need to replace the filter and the fuel pump. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

RedJeepWhiteTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The thumping by your feet is most likely a bad transmission mount.

curly
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

After doing a full tune up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) the jeep is still misfiring. Attached a fuel pressure gauge and fuel pressure is at 49. So I'm guessing that rules out fuel. Went ahead and replaced the ignition coil on a hunch, no help. Also, replaced the little module in the distributor and still no improvement. The jeep only has 87500 miles on it. I'm thinking a compression check, can someone help shed some light on this. Thanks.
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has the crankshaft position sensor ever been changed?
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried the ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON key trick or taken the Jeep to Autozone to check for any stored codes?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Has the crankshaft position sensor ever been changed?
It's not this. If it was it would just die completely.

Thanks for joining the forum.
Try removing and cleaning the throttle body. You might have excessive carbon build up.

Do you have a thumping, or rattling by the shifter? A bad trans mount can cause vibes on take off, but the 4wd shifter is known to rattle as well.
You might check to make sure your exhaust is not restricted as well.

Good luck
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, we hooked it to the reader at Autozone and O'Reillys and no codes. I didn't know about the on off on off on trick to bring up stored codes though. So I do that first then put it on the OBD reader at autozone?

I did take the all the plastic air filter housing off to get a good look at the throttle body and I even sprayed a healthy dose of carb/choke cleaner down it while running to help blow out some gunk(it looked pretty clean). Revs up nicely, But still same problem. Under load around 2000 rpms, its a loss of power, misfire.

How does one check to see if their exhaust is restricted or not? This makes sense, but its so low mileage...

I sprayed some contact cleaner on the crankshaft sensor as well. no help

Took out a stethoscope and i can hear all fuel injectors ticking away, there is no bad noises coming from the top end.

Im thinking the timing might be off a little bit, but only have experience with OHC engines so this is kind of new for me. I don't think its timing because it runs smooth in neutral. I cant get the misfire unless its driving.

The thumping and rattling is just a product of the misfire...it's not a cause...

Im thinking its an electrical something that is just intermittent...either way im about to just take it to the mechanic!

Is there anything im missing here?
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by RedJeepWhiteTop; 01-05-2013 at 09:06 PM..
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The key trick will display the codes in your odometer if it works on your '97 (it should), no need to also go to the parts store to get them pulled.

Just to be clear on the problem you're having -- it runs great unloaded and below 2000rpm when driving, loses power when driving at about 2100rpm, and pressing the accelerator pedal down is a reliable way to get it running well again. Does that sound correct? Does it also run normally once you get the Jeep above the rpm range where it stumbles?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am dealing with the same problem right now, although my issues are more severe. I lose power when on the freeway and it wants to die. After letting it rest for a bit, it runs ok on surface streets. My mechanic said it was the catalytic converter so I replaced that thinking it would help, but same thing. I also did a full tuneup like you, but nada. Mechanic suggested fuel injectors, but I'm gonna verify with a bench test before I drop that kind of money. I'm at a loss too, and so is my mechanic...
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The key trick will display the codes in your odometer if it works on your '97 (it should), no need to also go to the parts store to get them pulled.

Just to be clear on the problem you're having -- it runs great unloaded and below 2000rpm when driving, loses power when driving at about 2100rpm, and pressing the accelerator pedal down is a reliable way to get it running well again. Does that sound correct? Does it also run normally once you get the Jeep above the rpm range where it stumbles?
Yeah, she purrs when she idles, you can rev up way through the 2000 rpm in neutral. Then while driving it will miss real bad right at 2-2100, but if I stand on the gas yes I can power through it. I sometimes downshift and rev it up and power through that rough spot. Yes, it runs normal once you get it past the rpm range.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also, how do I read the codes on the odometer once i have used the technique?
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Each code will be displayed in the odometer separately.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does it happen in the same pedal position? The TPS throttle position sensor goes bad by developing flat spots where while depressing the pedal the rims do not increase. It will continue until you throw a code or cut out. Start with checking and cleaning the connections.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That makes sense, the vehicle does get driven alot at the same speed in its commute.
Same speed same gear, same pedal position. I will give it a look and post back.
THANKS!!!
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
RedJeepWhiteTop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If its not the TPS what else could it be?

Tags
1997 , engine , filter , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.