Fuel cell, Factory pump vs Inline pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel cell, Factory pump vs Inline pump

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel cell, Factory pump vs Inline pump

My eyes are killing me from reading so much online about setting up a fuel cell. I have a 20 gallon RCI tank that I am about to sink in the rear of my Jeep. I have read the factory pump will sit off the bottom and leave some unusable fuel. I also have read about fuel starving when off camber. I'd really like to be able to use most of the fuel, and really don't want starvation problems. I'm leaning towards a in-line pump even though it's more work. What do you guys think?

Unread 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

i am my no means an expert on this, but i think you can run an in tank pump with multiple pickups. liquid iron industries has a sweet setup that i have been eyeing on pirate.
Unread 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918970
Unread 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

RCI 2162 + GenRight ring + stock fuel pump works very well. By far the best combination for the stock pump module. Cell is only 9" tall so it's easier to sink into the floor as well. Just not sure which cell you have.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
i am my no means an expert on this, but i think you can run an in tank pump with multiple pickups. liquid iron industries has a sweet setup that i have been eyeing on pirate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
Thanks, I will read up on that. I was wondering if the stock pump could use a pick up, but hadn't seen anything to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
RCI 2162 + GenRight ring + stock fuel pump works very well. By far the best combination for the stock pump module. Cell is only 9" tall so it's easier to sink into the floor as well. Just not sure which cell you have.
Between the two, I was thinking about the Kore ring. I saw Hendrick had a thread about it leaking. But I saw a bunch more threads about the GenRight ring making the pump set up higher.

I picked up an RCI 2191A 19 gal, 30x12x12 for cheap.
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With the 2191, the GR ring will sit the pump up too high. I tried it (with a 2161 that has the same height), wasn't a good combo. You'll need a flat ring, like the Kore, for the 2191. But the thing I don't like about flat rings is that any time you need to pull the pump, you'll need to break the seal between the ring and cell. This may not seem like a big deal until that one time you need to pull the pump to replace it or inspect a problem. Last year, a buddy's pump got clogged on the trail. Fuel everywhere, no more seal the rest of the day....nuff said. With the GR ring, all you do is unscrew the factory retaining ring and pull the pump out. The seal is separate, which is so convenient. With the GR ring, you must use the 2162 if you want the pump to sit on the bottom. The 2162 is nice and low compared to the 2161/2191 as well. I know it's a pain, but I sold my 2161 to fund the 2162. No regrets at all, it's a much better setup. No fumes at all, very reliable and easy to deal with if I need to pull the pump.
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

agreed with everything imped said. i took his advice and went the 2162 and genright ring combo and it performs great. but after talking to some more people after i did it. i later found thatt doing in inline pump is a little bit better approach if you are up for a little more work. it will cost about the same and you just use the original pickups on top of the fuel cell. the part that i think would be the nicest about an inline pump is you dont gotta hear the pump whinin (granted with no top, mud tires, and a loud radio you will not hear it). i also think it would be a little easier to service an inline pump cause i would get kinda sketched pulling off my tj pump with a full tank of gas that can catch flame so easily.

it would probably be easier to seal up an external fuel pump also.

just as a side note, rci definitely lies about their tank sizes because my 2162 is only a 12ish gallon tank. cause it can be so empty i can hear the pump starving for fuel, and fill it slap dab full to where i can't pump any more gas in or it will over flow, and i only get 11.5 gallons in it. maybe one day when i get bored i'll take the dimensions and figure out exactly how big it is.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Answer: 3240. in³ = 14.0259 gal(US Liq)
OR 14 gal(US Liq) and 0.20 pt (US Liq)

that is by their claimed measurements, so it may be even smaller

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You've gotta take into account the volume the pump takes up. I can run mine until empty according to my gauge (pretty accurate) and put 10 gallons in. One of these days I'll probably look into swapping to a totally different setup but right now, I've got no issues with the stock pump/2162/GR ring. Works very well.
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You've gotta take into account the volume the pump takes up. I can run mine until empty according to my gauge (pretty accurate) and put 10 gallons in. One of these days I'll probably look into swapping to a totally different setup but right now, I've got no issues with the stock pump/2162/GR ring. Works very well.
i got 10.6 in mine yesterday haha but yeah the set up we have is pretty well problem free. i really want something with trap doors though to help on offcamber.

Unread 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I always top the tank off before wheeling and have never had an issue. I'll lose oil pressure before not having gas. But yeah, I wouldn't mind having a bit more 'sophistication' built into the cell, including baffles to cut down on the sloshing.
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I always top the tank off before wheeling and have never had an issue. I'll lose oil pressure before not having gas. But yeah, I wouldn't mind having a bit more 'sophistication' built into the cell, including baffles to cut down on the sloshing.
everyone says theirs sloshes, but i honestly rarely hear mine sloshing unless i fall into something offroad, i jam the breaks real hard and rock the jeep, or i come to a stop and turn the jeep off real quick.

Unread 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you men! If I didn't have a deadline to get this all back together I would probably go with the 2162. I thought about cutting down the tank on the pump side so it would end up at about 9'' for a better fit. (Saw it on Pirate) But I think I am going to do the inline pump like this. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9877129&postcount=54 Still working on getting my **** together.
Unread 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I knew someone had to have done this. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583273

What do you think of this idea?
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i think an inline is an alround better set up. mo2500 did that set mod to his factory fuel pump i'm pretty sure. but you dont have to worry about sealing jack squat with an inline!!! you just have to have quality hoses and fittings. trust me inline is the way to go, if i did it agian i'd do inline all day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.