FT 3" economy lift overkill? Help me decide on lift/tire combo. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > FT 3" economy lift overkill? Help me decide on lift/tire combo.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 05-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Black Hole
2000 XJ Cherokee 

FT 3" economy lift overkill? Help me decide on lift/tire combo.

I just picked up a 2000 Sahara with 120k, a 5 speed and a D44 out back. She's all stock other than a set of 31's that I threw on from my old '97 SE.

This is my daily driver and I have to keep the height under 6'6" for my work parking garage and 6'4" if I want to keep it inside my garage durring the winter.

I really want a 3-4" lift and 33 or even 35" tires....bigger the better. I've never gone wheeling and don't forsee TOO MUCH wheeling in my future other than a couple of times a year, so yes I'm doing a lot of this for looks as she'll be 90% pavement-pounder (but that could change once this all is done).

From all the reviews on here, I've really been looking at the Full Traction 3" Economy lift with the Superlift shocks but I'm wondering if this might be overkill for my application. Since I'm not wheeling on a regular basis do I need to spend the extra money over a basic spring lift or is the FT setup a good all-around package? I want to run at least a 33" tire.

Like most people, I'm trying to do this as economical as possible, so that is a big concern.

Please talk me into a sensable, economical setup where I can run at least a 33" tire and still have the "look" that I'm going for.

'00 Black Sahara - 3" FT lift, Skyjacker Hydros, 33x12.5 DC Mud Country's on 15x8 Eagle Alloy 058's, LoD Extreme bumpers and tire carrier, Sony/Polk/MTX/Kicker sound, Bestop/Tuffy storage, etc... just sold
'04 Black Cherry Harley Davidson VRSCB V-Rod
'00 Black Cherokee Sport
'01 Black Cadillac Catera Sport
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Black Hole
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I really don't want to go with a BL....or if I do, it'll stay under 1.5" as I don't care for the looks of 2+" BL's.

With the garage height concerns as well as the fuel economy concerns of a daily-driver, I'll probably end up sticking with the 33's.......my problem is that I am IN LOVE with this setup....

RE 3.5"
JKS 1.25" BL
35" Cooper STTs on Eagle Alloy 057

'00 Black Sahara - 3" FT lift, Skyjacker Hydros, 33x12.5 DC Mud Country's on 15x8 Eagle Alloy 058's, LoD Extreme bumpers and tire carrier, Sony/Polk/MTX/Kicker sound, Bestop/Tuffy storage, etc... just sold
'00 Black Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
kizer

Heres running the same lift with a bunch of addons.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/members/Scoob/
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do the JKS BL for 1.25"
RE 2" BB and keep the stock isolators on there.
This will allow you to run 33" tires and no rubbing with proper backspacing.

You should still be under and fit in your garage.
This is the most economical way to run 33" tires in my opinion. However running 33" tires is a different ballgame when traiing as fender scrubbing will be an issue with this setup.
But for your application it should be fine.

RE BB 2": $250
JKS BL: $125
4 33"tires: $1200

So for 1575 +/- a few dollars you will be able to have a Jeep with 33" tires, and still have money to add other mods like a winch or something you'd like.

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Best way (economical) to run 33's with not a bunch of wheeling.2.25"BB and 1"BL.Total cost with shocks is about $317 shipped.Nothing else needed.

3"HD springs/1"BL with 35's.Much more (not real expensive)stuff needed.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
3"HD springs/1"BL with 35's.Much more (not real expensive)stuff needed.
For something that sits on the street and looks pretty, then yes, but not very safe as a daily driver, and quickly becomes a trail obstacle on anything harder than a dirt road.
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
For something that sits on the street and looks pretty, then yes, but not very safe as a daily driver, and quickly becomes a trail obstacle on anything harder than a dirt road.
If your small mind only knew how much money is invested in making that happen.I guess that's why the forum forgot the "IDIOT FILTER".You could be the first and best "Idiot" not filter.Keep your opinions where they belong.Take a guess where that is.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
If your small mind only knew how much money is invested in making that happen.I guess that's why the forum forgot the "IDIOT FILTER".You could be the first and best "Idiot" not filter.Keep your opinions where they belong.Take a guess where that is.
I don't think I've seen enough pictures of the cheapest and most unsafe way to run 35s. Got any more?
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Black Hole
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow...not one person suggesting to go with the FT 3" lift????

Which would have better street characteristics? 3" springs or 2" BB + 1" BL?
'00 Black Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
kizer

Black Hole Personally I'd avoid budget boosts only because IMHO pucks should be used for leveling after the lift not to acquire the lift. However a lot of Jeep Owners do go with the budget boost because its cheap and very easy to achive what you want so you can spend your money on other items like lockers, winches and recovery gear.

Like that member I posted in my before post he has gone with the 3-inch Full Traction lift and likes it very much.

Street ride Im sure they are pretty much the same. The only thing I could see being different is the spring rate on Stock coils is not the same as a taller coil. So when you start dumping weight on it they are going to compress faster, but with the pucks it will maintane the height, but I wonder how the ride will differ?
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole View Post

I just ordered my FT 3" lift. I'm going to be running it with 33's and supplement it with a BL/MML in the near future depending on how much I see necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run a FT 3" along with 1.25" BL/BMML on 33" tires. Its a nice setup. If too high could end up being a problem, be aware that the FT lift will give you close to 4" of lift, maybe more if your stock springs are sagging to begin with. Add on the bigger tires and you could be at or above your limit.
RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
BM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 3" FT lift fits skinny 33" tires on stock wheels like it was meant to be.

I got nearly 4" of lift initially and it settled to about 3.5". It rides pretty darn good too, a tad rougher than stock but nothing bad at all. I've got the M-Force monotubes. I got them on sale at the time for the same price as the cheap FT shocks. I'll recommend those or Skyjacker Hydro shocks. I helped a buddy do a BB with those shocks and they ride really good.

I didn't need a SYE and all that jazz at first, I wheeled it a bit hard and bent my t-case output shaft which caused me to want to upgrade. From the way you say you'll be using it I'm sure it will be a non-issue.

Look closely at the above pic...

Here's where it is maxxed out on the bumpstops:

rear:

front:

I spent about $1250 for the lift and tires(not counting spare). Didn't need a BL or new wheels.

I chose the skinny tires on stock wheels since 33s are definitely not going to be on there forever.

I've got about 12k miles on the suspension and tires and it's all doing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
JeepSahara2001
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Sahara with a 2" spacer lift and 33" 12.5s and I love the set up on pacer soft 8s.

I have offroaded it and never rubbed or had any problems. You can get the spacers for less than $100 and install them your self and the 4.0 will pull 33s pretty well. You will notice in 5th on hills you loss a little bit of power. For a street Jeep it is a good setup.

35" kinda will most likely require regearing because if not they will bug you on the street.

Mark

[______]
(O||||O)
=======
JeepSahara2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
r6less
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you looked at the 2.5 susp lift and the 1.25 body lift. I've read many posts where people recommend these.

Jeep TJ Suspension Lift
r6less is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.