front wiper motor replacement writeup w/pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front wiper motor replacement writeup w/pics

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

front wiper motor replacement writeup w/pics

so after my wiper motor ordeal earlier this week i decided to create a writeup showing how it was replaced since i haven't really had much to contribute to the jeeping community thus far. this may be easy, but when i was looking for info/tips before i did it i didn't see one out there... so, here it is. some pics were taken with a blackberry, some with camera. this is for my 2000.

as i said, this is a very easy replacement. i was fully expecting something to go wrong and for it to take 2x as long, but somehow it went smoothly. about a half hour start to finish with taking pictures. click pictures to enlarge.

tools required:
* phillips head screwdriver
* fladhead screwdriver
* 10mm socket/6" extension
* 1/2" open ended wrench or socket (not pictured)
* channel lock pliers

STEP 1: remove wipers. pry on tab under the wipes with flathead screwdriver until it pops out this far, otherwise it won't come off. the thing that slides actually contacts the body of the wiper arm so i had to fight it to get it off

STEP 2: remove the 4 phillips head screws from the top of the cowl and one from the center vent

STEP 3: open the hood and peel back the hood/cowl trim to access 2 more phillips head screws (one on each side. this is just the passenger side). these might give some trouble. they screw into a metal clip/nut that might become rusty over time. mine had rusted out so i had to pry on the underside of the screw head to put pressure on the nut to prevent it from spinning. (don't mind the exposed wire off the ecu, that's fixed)

STEP 4: shut the hood and take off the cowl. i found it easiest to pull up from the front/hood side first.

STEP 5: with the cowl off you have easy access to the wiper motor from the drivers side. on my plug there was a red safety piece on the plug. pry that up and unplug the motor. there's 3 10mm bolts holding the wiper motor/arm assembly in. take those out and remove the whole assembly.

STEP 6: there are 3 10mm bolts holding the motor to the bracket, and one 1/2" nut holding the arm assembly onto the motor shaft. i found it easier to remove the nut from the arm before removing the motor to bracket bolts so the motor wasn't wobbling around. i also used the flathead to prevent the arm from moving when trying to loosen the nut.

STEP 6a: the plug on the motor is attached to the bracket. i got the flathead under the plug and just pried it up and out. i then realized that there is a track sort of thing under it that the plug can slide off of. either way, that has to come off.

OLD VS NEW:

rubber boot peeled off. i could almost put a screwdriver right through the wall... very rotted out.

STEP 7-end: reinstall is the reverse.

*get the motor bolted to the bracket with the 3 10mm bolts.
*attach the wiper arm (the shaft is keyed so it will only fit on 2 ways).
*attach the plug to the bracket.
*get the assembly put back into the jeep.
*secure the 3 10mm bolts.
*plug the harness back in.
make sure to slide down the red safety clip. i didn't and mine came unplugged in 1 day
*test the motor with the cowl off before putting the cowl back on.
*put the cowl back on.
*get the 7 phillips head screws put back in.
*reattach the wiper arms and you should be done.

vettefever5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
jacob9582
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to do this job this weekend! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the detailed write up. Shops wanted 300+ dollars for this job!!!
jacob9582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever5 View Post
.....*attach the wiper arm (the shaft is keyed so it will only fit on 2 ways).
Yeah, it only fits 2 ways and 99% of the time, you will reconnect the wrong way (or maybe that's just me ), so be sure to check it, before you put the cowl back on and end up scratching the cowl with the wiper arm.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob9582 View Post
I am going to do this job this weekend! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the detailed write up. Shops wanted 300+ dollars for this job!!!
You can get a rebuild motor for ~$80 from your local generic parts store.
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

One thing I learned from an old mechanic: when replacing a wiper motor, ALWAYS let it cycle (test it) WITHOUT the wipers on and let it return to its "stop" position. This is because when you get a new motor, you don't know where in its cycle it's stopped at, so when you install your wipers it may drag it all over your paint and possibly damage the new motor.
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
tlendt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up on a job we will nearly all have to do at some point (sadly)
tlendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99 View Post
One thing I learned from an old mechanic: when replacing a wiper motor, ALWAYS let it cycle (test it) WITHOUT the wipers on and let it return to its "stop" position. This is because when you get a new motor, you don't know where in its cycle it's stopped at, so when you install your wipers it may drag it all over your paint and possibly damage the new motor.
Some of us didn't pay close attention to the old mechanic when we had the chance. My grandfather was a mechanic for 40+ years. I can still remember him laughing until he almost wet his pants when I was removing the oil filter of my toyota truck and I managed to "close a circuit" with the metal filter wrench, with ensuing fireworks (scared the crap out of me).
Unread 02-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
99thProBleM
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly the writeup I need Awesome info.. My wipers stopped working so I need to do this exact job SOON.. Thanx!!
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
Yeah, it only fits 2 ways and 99% of the time, you will reconnect the wrong way (or maybe that's just me ), so be sure to check it, before you put the cowl back on and end up scratching the cowl with the wiper arm.
i had read that there's only 2 ways that the wiper motor can fit on, but only one right way... but after looking at it i didn't think it really mattered, at least not with the jeep wipers.

the wiper arm assembly (at least in my 2000) was just an arm that attached to the wiper motor that, when the motor turns, spins in a circle. when it spins in a circle it moves the wiper arm linkage left and right (like old school train wheels). my wiper arms aren't keyed, they have a splined shaft that the arms attach to. once i put the whole assembly back in the jeep and cycled it a few times without the wipers attached i just positioned the arms on the splines in the down position.

i could see if the wiper arms were keyed that you would need to reattach the motor in a specific position, but since the arms can be removed and repositioned i didn't think it would matter.

this is my reasoning... maybe i'm right, maybe i'm wrong. either way, i got it right the first time without any trouble doing it that way. maybe i'm in the 1 percentile that got lucky
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

follow-up

POST BACK UP IN THIS THREAD AFTER YOU CHANGE THE MOTOR AND LET US KNOW IF YOU RAN INTO ANY PROBLEMS NOT COVERED. I'LL MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO THE WRITEUP IF NECESSARY.
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Alright so I might need a new motor but im not positive yet as the jeep is not with me. My dad was driving it while it was snowing and the wipers were going real slow then stopped working. He got it home and found that the fuse had blown and every time he put in a new one it would blow a brand new fuse. would this constitute it as a blown motor or should I check for other problems before I lay down 80 bucks for something I dont need. I'll be home this weekend so I'll be able to work on it. I actually need this to be in working order as I'll be possible driving in snow when I get back home.
Chester405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #12
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester405 View Post
Alright so I might need a new motor but im not positive yet as the jeep is not with me. My dad was driving it while it was snowing and the wipers were going real slow then stopped working. He got it home and found that the fuse had blown and every time he put in a new one it would blow a brand new fuse. would this constitute it as a blown motor or should I check for other problems before I lay down 80 bucks for something I dont need. I'll be home this weekend so I'll be able to work on it. I actually need this to be in working order as I'll be possible driving in snow when I get back home.
That's what mine were doing before I replaced the motor. The wipers would run very slowly, then eventually the would get stuck. The only worked in high speed and as soon as I switched them to a slower speed they would get stuck again. Pull the cowl off and look at the motor. Mine was covered in rust. Cheap and easy fix.
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my first symptom was that i turned the jeep on, tried to use the wipers but they wouldn't turn on at any speed. then they randomly started working again about a half hour later.

they worked fine for a few weeks when it happened again. when they started working again this time they were verrry slow. then they eventually stopped again and never started back up.

i think a big part of the problem is the rubber boot on it. i'm sure it was put on there to protect the motor against the elements, but it looks like all it does is hold moisture against the housing and cause it to rust. if they had just put some rubber sealant or something where the wires go in/out of the motor there never would have been the "need" for the boot. my replacement didn't come with one on, but if it did i would have cut it off.
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so I'm thinking that I may have a blown motor. I pulled the plug for the motor and replaced the fuse and once I turn on the ignition, the fuse does not blow anymore and now I am able to use my washers. I dont see how it could be the switch. I dont want to go blow 80-100 dollars on a motor until im 100% sure it is the culprit.
Chester405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BIG THANKS Vettefever5!! I finally had to replace mine and your write-up was real nice to have at hand.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.