Front wheel u joints... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front wheel u joints...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Front wheel u joints...

Sorry fellers, the search function wasn't working very well...thought i'd get this inquiry out before I leave the office.

Not entirely sure if I'll jack it up tonight or not...but let me ask you.

The clickety-clack continues to get worse and/or common. And the wobble at 48mph certainly isn't getting any better...so I really think I need to get at them U-joints.

Can you point me to a DIY?...I am imagining I will have to take the entire hub off, including disc and caliper and whatnot. I assume there are some wheel bearings in there too, are they serviceable or self-contained?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

I did do some poking around on the front drive shaft as well, tons of play and lots of clanking noise, so I'll have to get to that as well at some point in the near future....but tell me if I am assuming correct...running in 2WD, that shaft isn't turning, and therefore shouldn't be the cause of the clickety-clack and/or wobble. right?

Thanks!

SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clicking would be u-joints and this will help you change them.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

As for the play is in control arms, steering, knuckles?

Edit: The word censored is a synonym for a cat.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
but tell me if I am assuming correct...running in 2WD, that shaft isn't turning, and therefore shouldn't be the cause of the clickety-clack and/or wobble. right?

Thanks!
The front drive shaft still turns in our Jeeps even when in 2 wheel drive, when you disengage 4 wheel drive that occurs in the transfercase itself. We have unit bearings in the front opposed to having hub lockouts.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go to youtube and search using terms like jeep unit bearings, jeep ball joints, dana 30, etc. If you suspect a problem with your front driveline u joints I suggest you remove the driveline immediately, you don’t want that thing coming apart at speed, especially at the transfer case, it will bash hell out of things until it snaps and is left behind on the road.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nniemczyk View Post
Clicking would be u-joints and this will help you change them.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

As for the play is in control arms, steering, knuckles?
perfect. :thu:

That wobble almost seems like a wheel out of balance. Also busted a sway bar link tonight, so I'm gonna fix that first....just probably hoping the wobble is related to one of these, if not, then get a balance and alignment next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSimmers View Post
The front drive shaft still turns in our Jeeps even when in 2 wheel drive, when you disengage 4 wheel drive that occurs in the transfercase itself. We have unit bearings in the front opposed to having hub lockouts.
thanks, I figured this out tonight as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
Go to youtube and search using terms like jeep unit bearings, jeep ball joints, dana 30, etc. If you suspect a problem with your front driveline u joints I suggest you remove the driveline immediately, you don’t want that thing coming apart at speed, especially at the transfer case, it will bash hell out of things until it snaps and is left behind on the road.
I'm not entirely sure I suspect the front driveshaft just yet, other than the little slack, I think most of the noise is coming from the wheels, but guarantee you, pulling that is next on the list.

Thanks as always fellers
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just thought I'd bump this with an additional link...I didn't think the ujoints would be much of a problem, other than this question:

Aside from that special pushing tool, it really should be okay to just tap them out/in as long as careful not to get hung up and mangled, right?

Anyway, I suppose my main concern on lack of knowledge I had, really had to do with pulling the axles, so I thought I'd post it here:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Aside from that special pushing tool, it really should be okay to just tap them out/in as long as careful not to get hung up and mangled, right?
Many people don't use the "special pushing tool" and just use hammer and a couple sockets.
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Many people don't use the "special pushing tool" and just use hammer and a couple sockets.
thanks dude, I wanted to make sure it wasn't some kind of no-no.

Might try and get this done this weekend. Man I am loving working on this thing.
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

got the axles off without too much trouble. Man the u-joints might as well be welded in there though...I hammered on one of them a bit, but it ain't budging.

Dad gave me a good tip though, use a vice, put a socket that is larger than the joint end on one side, put the pusher socket on the other side, and then just go to town.

Problem now being, my vice is not extend enough

So I guess I'm going to try to find a shop with a press in the morning and see if they can swap my joints for me. Any suggestions? I know a guy that owns a few lube shops, and hope I can reach him in the morning and hope he has one and can do it.

Thanks!
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Man I am loving working on this thing.
Man that's a good thing, because if you're like many of us, you'll be working on that Jeep for a long, long time!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

rofl indeed

I just get laughs for days driving and working on this thing...seems like anything you need to get at is either 2 bolts or a fabric strap

I hate to be gushing like a noob, but the utilitarianism and ease of working on this thing and all the readily available knowledge...I can't believe I never got one before now. I feel like I was blind and now the whole world opened up. with light.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.