Front Wheel Squeak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Wheel Squeak

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Front Wheel Squeak

Got a squeak in the front right wheel. I would swear that it is a bearing going out, but when the brake is applied, it stops. Never had this type of squeak before on anything.

Do we think its a bearing problem, or a brake pad problem? If brakes, what should I take a look at? If bearings, never opened them up, are they re-packable?

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The bearings are in the hub and it is sealed. If the squeak stops while applying the brake then I would first assume that it is in the brakes. Pull the tire and inspect.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It sure doesn't sound like brakes though. Are there any retaining springs or clips on the pads? Could it be a loose pad rubbing freely aganst the rotor?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem, it isnt the brakes, someone else suggested it might be the front ujoint... but that doesnt make sense considering then the squeek should theoretically be coming from the front driver side. I pulled my brakes completely off and inspected the calipers and all and couldnt find a problem. I am thinking about taking it to a stealership *gasp*

it is the same problem though, brakes applied and it goes away... if you figure out what it is keep in touch, I will try and do the same

Last edited by JeepMKcomin; 03-09-2007 at 01:42 PM..
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMKcomin
I have the same problem, it isnt the brakes, someone else suggested it might be the front ujoint... but that doesnt make sense considering then the squeek should theoretically be coming from the front driver side.
They may have been referring to the u-joint in the axle shaft (assuming you're thinking the driveshaft).

I also have a squeek that I noticed yesterday - but it only happens when I go over bumps. I haven't figured out if it's drivetrain or suspension related.
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman
They may have been referring to the u-joint in the axle shaft (assuming you're thinking the driveshaft).

I also have a squeek that I noticed yesterday - but it only happens when I go over bumps. I haven't figured out if it's drivetrain or suspension related.
Could very well be a squeeky control arm...

Thanks for the idea of the ujoint in the axle shaft... i was thinking the driveshaft, that completely slipped my mind
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, I'm going to check it out this weekend. I have to pull my D30 so, I'll be going over the front end.
Unread 09-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
westt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bump - I have the same symptoms - squeak until I hit the brakes. It then comes back soon after releasing the brake. Let me know if anyone finds the culprit.
westt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I had this problem it was caused by the brake pads vibrating slightly. I applied some disc brake quiet to the backs of the pads and the squeak went away.

Last edited by bige2533; 09-21-2007 at 11:25 AM..
bige2533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I'll give that disk quiet a try this weekend.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565361

Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
nat441

Same thing here, but mine is a squeek, squeek, squeek that speeds up and slows down depending on my speed. I know exactly what is causing the squeek, just don't know why. My caliper is moving in and out with the rotation of the wheel and the ear of the brake pad is rubbing on the steering knuckle causing the squeek. I thought it was a warped rotor so I replaced the rotors and pads, but the squeek was still there. So I am now looking for another reason the caliper/pads are moving. The way I discovered this was by getting the front up and spinning the tire as fast as I could to simulate the squeek. Then using some extra hands to do this while I had my head underneath.

I am interested if anyone finds the culprit.

Edit: I did the no squeek on the back of the pads before I replaced the rotors and pads.
Unread 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I too have the same noise on my driver's side front... I'll give the stop-squeek a shot this weekend and will post back my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
EG00TJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ive had the same problem for some time now, it does it off an on.. ever since i went wheelin the first time , or mudding i mean ..
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just took mine to the dealership today. And they basically told me "you have a squeak...we dont know where its coming from." So 75 bucks wasted on the obvious. They claim they checked everybearing and ujoint possible. But w/e. If you figure it out let me know and i'll look into it on mine. Im going to try lubing up my jeep and cleaning everything underneath and pray that that will help!
4-4.5 inch susp. lift. 1 in performance acs. body lift. 5 in offroad foglights. Brushgaurd. Atoz corner armors.Round 4in taillights.D35/30 combo. upgraded horn.radio.8inbazzoka tube.highlift jack. 1.5in wheel spacers. 33' goodyear wrangler mt's.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the no squeak i dont understand?? How do you fix the brake thing?
4-4.5 inch susp. lift. 1 in performance acs. body lift. 5 in offroad foglights. Brushgaurd. Atoz corner armors.Round 4in taillights.D35/30 combo. upgraded horn.radio.8inbazzoka tube.highlift jack. 1.5in wheel spacers. 33' goodyear wrangler mt's.
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.