Front Unit Bearing - Does it NEED the Driveshaft Bolted In? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Unit Bearing - Does it NEED the Driveshaft Bolted In?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Front Unit Bearing - Does it NEED the Driveshaft Bolted In?

Can you run on JUST a front unit bearing / hub without the TJ's front axleshafts if need be?

This weekend we discovered (on the trail) that a friend of mine had a busted front axleshaft (right at the unit bearing) AND a toasted unit bearing. There wasn't much we could do about the axle but pull it but figured we could replace the front unit bearing so that he could at least get home.

Afte a getting a new unit bearing from the parts store we installed it (without any driveshaft at all) and proceeded to drive our Jeeps into town. We got about 20 miles into town when the wheel fell off when starting up at an intersection. The new unit bearing had just completely separated and come apart. When the wheel went it ripped of the caliper and shattered the front steering knuckle caliper mounts. Fortunately my friend was only going about 2-3 mph when it happened but it raised the question:

Does the TJ's front unit bearing NEED the sub-shaft of the front axle shaft to be inserted into the bearing and the axle nut torqued down to keep the bearing from separating?

Any thoughts on why the repalcement unit bearing separated?

Unread 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This thread talks about that on starting on the second page I think

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/can-i-drive-without-my-inner-front-axle-shaft-451806/

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Bigbob

You have to have the stub in there or the bearing will come apart.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

dopn't ever ever run without the stub shaft in there. Some poor guy did that and died just recently.....
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
CCrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Does the TJ's front unit bearing NEED the sub-shaft of the front axle shaft to be inserted into the bearing and the axle nut torqued down to keep the bearing from separating?

Yes, the stub axle needs to be installed. It separated because it wasn't. If you ever get in that situation again, you have to leave the stub installed, and you can pull the inner axle and stuff a rag in the housing to get you home.

-Roger
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
kizer

I be the victim he's talking about. Lessoned learned.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6279

Problem was there wasn't a shaft left for the backside of the bearing to hold against.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The unit bearing is not held together by anything but the axle nut that bolts to the stub shaft. Think of it like two halves, the inner half bolts to the knuckle while the outer half bolts to the wheel. Without the stub shaft bolted in place with the axle nut, holding the two halves together, it WILL (there is no IF here) come apart.

I keep a 36mm socket, and spare front shafts in my TJ at all times.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea.......................................... ..................................................
Does the TJ's front unit bearing [I
NEED[/I] the sub-shaft of the front axle shaft to be inserted into the bearing and the axle nut torqued down to keep the bearing from separating?
.................................................. .............................................

Simple answer......YES

But only if you want to avoid the very thing that already happened.

The hub will fail without the outer shaft and nut installed.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
rljsrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not good

It's not a good thing; in fact very bad... Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Can you run on JUST a front unit bearing / hub without the TJ's front axleshafts if need be?

This weekend we discovered (on the trail) that a friend of mine had a busted front axleshaft (right at the unit bearing) AND a toasted unit bearing. There wasn't much we could do about the axle but pull it but figured we could replace the front unit bearing so that he could at least get home.

Afte a getting a new unit bearing from the parts store we installed it (without any driveshaft at all) and proceeded to drive our Jeeps into town. We got about 20 miles into town when the wheel fell off when starting up at an intersection. The new unit bearing had just completely separated and come apart. When the wheel went it ripped of the caliper and shattered the front steering knuckle caliper mounts. Fortunately my friend was only going about 2-3 mph when it happened but it raised the question:

rljsrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.