Front Too Low - Springs vs. Spacers on TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Too Low - Springs vs. Spacers on TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
0verthehill
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Front Too Low - Springs vs. Spacers on TJ

2002 TJ 6 cyl manual 5 speed stock suspension 29" tires on stock wheels - After adding a: tube bumper, shackles, lights, jack, winch plate, winch, and fairlead, the front end of my Jeep is now notably lower than the back end. I have not measured the difference (mostly because I am not sure were best to measure from) but it is at least 1" different. I have seen several posts about this issue and the common recommendations are to change springs or add spring spacers. It seems to me that the added weight is causing the stock springs to compress at rest more than intended. I believe that adding spacers would not change that fact, it would only change the height, but the spring would remain compressed more than intended. Right? If that is so, it seems to me that changing the springs to be longer/stronger is more likely to bring the suspension back closer to design dimensions. Does that make sense? If so, what am I looking for? Longer springs? Stronger springs? Is it possible to predict where it will sit on different springs?

Also, I hope to add a BB 2" lift (or something similar) and 31" tires sometime soon. That is another reason why I am thinking about using the springs to level the front. I think that if I used spacers to level the front, I would then not be able to add the 2" BB too. Right? I am thinking that if I get it level with new springs, I can later add the BB and it will still be level, right?

Thanks in advance for any input.

jeep-mud-nh.jpg  
0verthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You're correct the spacers will only help the height and wont affect how much room the spring has to contract.

If I were in your situation i would go with a 2" or 2.5" OME lift, or the 2" BDS lift. I went with BDS since it was available close to me (no shipping), was pretty cheap, and it netted a little more than 2" which is what i wanted. That kit was amazing, flexed so well for such a small lift and it rode better than stock for sure, and their warranty is amazing
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on a 2" BB,I'd get 3" springs up front.I ran that combo with a 1" BL and 35's on my old 98'.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look into changing your steel cable with some good synthetic winch line. Also taking that heavy roller fair lead off and replacing with a hawse instead will lower the amount of added weight up front. I'm not gonna say that this will completely fix the problem but, maybe it will get it back to somewhere that you feel is more tolerable. You'll be surprised how much those items weigh. I agree with previous posts about not adding spacers especially if you are considering a 2" spacer lift down the road.
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Watch craigslist for V8 ZJ coils, they're good for around 2" of lift in the front and will handle that extra weight very nicely.
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper , spacers , springs , winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.