Front tire/wheel wobble..NOT DW - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front tire/wheel wobble..NOT DW

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcamer View Post
Have the parts ordered. Will do the install either Friday night or Saturday.
How much did the parts cost you?

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
ckcamer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got the bearing for $97, also got the sockets I needed and a smaller torque wrench for the bolts that only need 11 ft lbs. Total was 136...plus three day shipping, came out to 165 all together. The bearing is maunfactured by National, not sure how good it will be...will let you know if there are any issues with it.
ckcamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
ckcamer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junder28 View Post
It seems random and is not all the time but i dont even know what to look at.
Steal away...I am 90% sure my problem has been solved! If you have not already jacked up the front end and try to wiggle the tires. That should tell you if it is in the suspension the bearing or ball joints. Sounds like you may have the dreaded death wobble that, from what I understand, is very tough to track down.

I am fairly new to the Jeep troubleshooting/repair arena since so far mine has not had many issues (looking for the knock on wood emoticon).

Last edited by ckcamer; 06-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: I don't know how to spell
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was getting DW that started as an imbalance but at about 40 mph, it would turn into full blown DW. I had the tires balanced but it continued to wobble. I found that the frame end of the track bar had some play in it. Replaced it this morning, still has the small vibration at 40 mph but it does not escalate into DW.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
junder28
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I really dont think its DW because it has not gotten worse and there seems to be no play i the steering. Maybe i lost a wheel weight???
junder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine had absolutely no play in the steering either. With the engine running, have someone steer it back and forth and watch both ends of the track bar, ball joints, etc.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
ckcamer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update, wheel hub assembly is about the easiest thing in the world to replace. Took me all of an hour and a half. The old one was definately failing. Still have a bit of a wobble but everything is tight with the steering and tire. I am assuming this is due to the fact that the tire is no longer round due to uneven wear from the bearing going out and low air pressure. Next on the list is a set of new tires!!
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
chefdab
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To those of you that have replaced the wheel bearings, what was your approximate mileage when they went bad? I have a little shimmy in the steering at highway speeds. This is not the first time either. The last time I had the tires rotated and an alignment done. The tire that was on the front passenger side was out of round. That is now my spare. After that it seemed to go away. But now the front passenger tire has a slow leak at the bead from the wheel getting hit on a rock. So I'm trying to see if my current shimmy is just because of the tire pressure difference from left to right or something else like the bearings. I have less than 35k and I would think that the bearings would last a little longer than that.
Quote:
... at what point has "NEED" ever come into play when it comes to Jeep upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I'm a idiot so be genital.
chefdab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
ckcamer
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my TJ with 100k on it and it now has 145k. If you look back in the thread there is good info on how to check to see if it is the bearing or not. Now that I have replaced the bearing the wobble/shimmy I had is 99% gone, I know the rest is due to the same problem you have, a slow leak in my tire and lack of balancing.

I would assume your problem would go away with a tire balance but take a minute to jack up the front end and see if anything else is loose.

Good Luck!
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
Red_YJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This thread has helped me a lot. My Jeep wobbles at the left front wheel between 42 to 49 miles per hour. Then is smooths out again. I balanced and re balanced that tire. Then I switched to the spare and there was still shaking between 42 and 49 miles per hour. Then I rotated to see if the vibration would move to a different wheel. Nope, it was still there. Well, this thread has answered a question and I am buying the new unit bearing after payday. This will be the end to a long annoying headache.
Red_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front , tire , wheel , wobble

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.