Front and Rear D44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front and Rear D44

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
rbrad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Front and Rear D44

I found a guy that is swapping out his D44 axles out of his 2006 LJ. I was wondering what would be a fair price for them. They will need new ring and pinions, bearings, maybe carriers. Talking him he stated that they will need to be completely rebuilt but they come with the brake assemblies. I don't want to offer him to little or pay to much. Thanks for the help.

rbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay...why all the rebuilding? What did he do to them? Are the lockers in them? Do the compressors come with them as well? What kind of shape are they in overall? I'd be a little shy of buying an axle in bad shape unless it was a steal, and I was pretty much just getting it for the housing...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Okay...why all the rebuilding? What did he do to them? Are the lockers in them? Do the compressors come with them as well? What kind of shape are they in overall? I'd be a little shy of buying an axle in bad shape unless it was a steal, and I was pretty much just getting it for the housing...
I'm going to have to agree with ^^^^

suspicious_dog.jpg

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Junior166
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know much about what is or isn't a good price but I can tell you what I paid. I got a set out of a Rubicon with low miles and in great shape with nothing needing rebuilt. It came with the disc brakes and even good rotors and pads and I got the air compressors and all of the wiring for the lockers. I got it all for $3500 which I am pretty sure is high and people around here will tell me I am an idiot, but I was willing to pay a bit more for it to be easy.

I decided to go for it after looking around a bit and seeing rear d44's going for around $1000-1500 and even pricing out a fully rebuilt 8.8 for the rear with locker from Eastcoastgearsupply.com. The 8.8 with reman gears and locker was going to be in the 2k range and that is rear only with no compressor and upgrading the D30 in the front was gonna run close to a grand so I figured front and rear 44s in good shape with the compressors and wiring that I could just drop in with no hassle or rebuilding were worth $3500 to me.
Junior166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
rbrad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They arent rubicon axles. He had some currie axles from his last jeep and is swapping them in. I have a d30 and d35 and am looking for something to build up to put in my 2003
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrad View Post
They arent rubicon axles. He had some currie axles from his last jeep and is swapping them in. I have a d30 and d35 and am looking for something to build up to put in my 2003
An LJ that is not a Rubicon does not have D44 axles. The rear is a 44 and front is a 30 just like you have.

Value - D30 front perfect condition and gear ratio you want - $200-$400. D30 that needs "complete rebuild" - almost worthless, maybe $100 to be REALLY generous.

D44 rear that needs "complete rebuild" - $100-300, again to be REALLY generous.
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
An LJ that is not a Rubicon does not have D44 axles. The rear is a 44 and front is a 30 just like you have.
This is correct. Only the Rubi had front and rear D44s. They also had 4 wheel disc brakes, FYI.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a Tj d44 out of an 05 Tj, and it came with disc brakes, stock 30 spline shafts & geared at 373 for $500. Also just bought a Hp-d/30 geared 355 for $60. It's a little rough, though quite salvageable. Both are open.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried asking him want he wants for the both?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
rbrad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. It may be just a d44 rear which would be ok. I really just want to replace my D35. He hasnt Said what he wants flr them yet but i wanted to get an idea. If i only by he rear would work fine and then i could build it as funds allowed and then it would be a roll under swap.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrad View Post
Thanks for the info. It may be just a d44 rear which would be ok. I really just want to replace my D35. He hasnt Said what he wants flr them yet but i wanted to get an idea. If i only by he rear would work fine and then i could build it as funds allowed and then it would be a roll under swap.
Yeah...the front isn't going to be a 44 unless it's 1) a Rubi 44, or 2) some other 44 that has been swapped in.

I'd look at just getting the rear and doing exactly what outlined above. Offer him a couple hundred on it if it's in as sad a shape as you say...you're pretty much buying a housing and shafts, it seems. Knock together a stand and learn how to build an axle; set up your ring and pinion, truss it if you like, etc, etc. Then you'll be in good shape to regear your front when you get ready to bolt this one in.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
rbrad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the comments it has been a big help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.