front locker vs. rear locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front locker vs. rear locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Snydermann
2003 TJ Wrangler 

front locker vs. rear locker

I am looking to purchase a Lock Right for my daily driver. It is a 2003 TJ with stock axles and it's driven 90% of time on streets. I understand with a rear locker, there will be a big change in how my Jeep handles on the road all of the time. I am wondering if I install a locker in the front, will it only be activated while in 4WD ??

Snydermann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If your rear axle can handle it, put it in the rear first.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the standard Dana 35c axle in the rear, you have no choice but to lock only the front axle as the Dana 35c is too weak for a locker. But if you have the stronger upgraded Dana 44 rear axle, lock the rear first as in most wheeling situations a rear locker will help more. I have f/r lockers but my rear locker alone is enough for 90% of the trails I do.

Yes, a front locker is only noticeable when you're in 4Hi or 4Lo. A Powertrax Lockrite or Aussie locker up front would, at most, produce mild clicking when you're in 2wd. The slightly more expensive Powertrax No-Slip locker is as invisible in 2wd as the other two lockers are but it won't even make that clicking noise. I have a No-Slip in the front of my TJ and in 2wd, I can't even tell it's there.

Just don't lock your rear axle if it's a Dana 35c but if you are fortunate and have the stronger/beefier rear Dana 44 axle, that's the one to lock first.

If you do have the Dana 44 axle and decide to lock that, don't install a Lockright or Aussie as neither of those are well behaved in the rear of a Wrangler. For the rear, if you want a lunchbox style locker, go for the Powertrax No-Slip which is the only lunchbox locker well behaved enough for the rear axle which is far more fussy about the locker it gets than the front axle is.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Snydermann
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have Dana 30/front and Dana 35c/rear. It makes sense to go with just a front locker in my case. Do you know where I can purchase the no-slip version for Dana 30? Thanks for the great advice Jerry!
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any 4x4 dealer that carries the Powertrax Lockright you asked about can just as easily get the Powertrax No-Sip for you.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
GenoSport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just DO NOT order from Rocky road I orderd a no slip from then because they have the best price on the net I learned my lesson ( Real slow ) I would say real fast but that was not the case 4 weeks went by and nothing showed up I called and got the run around told it will ship with in the week, another week nothing, called it will ship next week no matter what. Next week Nothing a total of 7 weeks before I cancled the order. In this whole time I never recived a call to let me know what was going on or why it takes 2 months to get a part. I went out of my way to call Richmond Gear they told me that they did not have any back orders and did not have any order from rockey road under my name for shipping. I cancled my order and replaced my order thru Dave at Northridge and my noslip showed up in 4 days

Rocky road is the worst company that I have ever delt with.
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you get alot of snow, I wouldnt recommend an auto locker.
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsktbll109 View Post
If you get alot of snow, I wouldnt recommend an auto locker.
Whoops that is right if you need 4x4. But in 2wd on the streets, it will be fine.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
odwaud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What will happen if you drive a locker in rear axle on snow in 4wd? And if you put a locker in the rear, how much will your handling/gas milage suffer? Thanks.
odwaud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
nowickyj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i ran a true trac in my 35 with 33" no problem it was an auto locking and would click and clack every now and then but it held up fine and I beat the heck out it too.
2005 Rubicon Jks discos 3.5 Rubicon Express superflex homebrew adj. uppers, Tom Woods driveshaft 1" BL , nitros, KC daylighters, XRC8, 35s KM2's, soft 8's custom bumpers, and all kinds of other stuff....
nowickyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have never experienced it, but if Jerry says an auto locker in snow is bad, then its bad. Even in the front in snow, it isnt good. For handling, in parking lots when you take sharp corners you will get wheel hop. Its manageable.
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #12
rallynut78
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the aussie in the front and it has been the best mod i have done. on the trail it is like night and day being locked and in 2wd it is practically invisible. I think the front is better if you have to choose because it'll pull you up and over most obstacles.

the cool thing about the lunch box locker is that it only locks when torque is applied. otherwise it works as if it were open.

i would recommend the Aussie locker though because it is much cheaper and almost exactly the same.
rallynut78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

rear locker in the snow would make handling tough as the rear would be all over the place.

Edit: I'm running an OX locker in my 35 with upgraded 30 spline shafts and have had zero problems, still wish it was a 44 though
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Snydermann
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Minnesota, where snow is abundant. How bad can a locking front be in the snow? I mostly drive in 2wd through snow, and only engage 4wd when necessary.
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Driving in 4x4 on a snow-covered highway with a front automatic locker would cause understeer... the Jeep would want to plow straight ahead when you want to turn left or right. In 2wd, it wouldn't really be an issue.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.