Front LCA Replacement Cam Bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front LCA Replacement Cam Bolt

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Johnny4runner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Front LCA Replacement Cam Bolt

I need advice on getting a replacement cam bolt for my front passenger LCA. This weekend I had to pull my RE front passenger radius arm off and found that the LCA bolt had been completely booger up by a rock. I was barely able to get it off without cutting it, and stripped the threads off of the bolt. I guess since its a 1997 TJ the cam bolt was a factory bolt, but I'm not sure.

Anyway who makes good/strong cam bolts that I can replace it with? Since The radius arms are adjustable I guess I could ditch the cam bolts all together. But it would be easier if I don't have to mess with the other radius arm and its cam bolt.

Johnny4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Others can give you better ideas I'm sure, but on more than one occasion I have and still use either Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts and nuts from my neighborhood Lowe's for my suspension pieces. IMHO that grade bolt strength is enough for my needs and are readily accessible. YMMV
drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

9/16" x 4" grade 8 bolt would be a suitable replacement. I think it's 4", might be 5".

If your arms are adjustable, I wouldn't fool with a cam bolt.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Long ago, I replaced all of my factory lower control arm bolts with a batch of 9/16" Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and nuts. I did that after spending WAY too much buying some factory replacement bolts/nuts. Never had an issue since the Grade 8 hardware was installed. If you have an ACE Hardware in your area, I've found them a good source for reasonably priced hardware.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45บ 36.663' W 123บ 20.935', Oregon
This^

So glad when I came across this bit of info on Stu's site . Great site BTW.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks....glad to hear you've found helpful info there.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Johnny4runner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I read Stu's write-up and that is basically what happened to me. The bolt came off without any thread left on it. Additionally the bolt was so messed up the cam lobe took some serious persuasion to come off.

So the 9/16 bolt will fit in w/o a problem? Do I need a washer of a particular size to prevent the bolt from wiggling in the alignment horseshoe? To replace the cam?
Johnny4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4runner View Post
I read Stu's write-up and that is basically what happened to me. The bolt came off without any thread left on it. Additionally the bolt was so messed up the cam lobe took some serious persuasion to come off.

So the 9/16 bolt will fit in w/o a problem? Do I need a washer of a particular size to prevent the bolt from wiggling in the alignment horseshoe? To replace the cam?
If you have adjustable arms and don't need to use an offset washer, then these are very nice: http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Joh...ashers_c80.htm
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
3eff_Jeff
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4runner View Post

The bolts are actually M14 Class 10.9. 9/16" is ever so slightly larger. When I tried the 9/16" bolt swap, they wouldn't fit in the collar in the bushing. Just getting the right bolts from McMaster-Carr was the easiest thing for me (I couldn't find any local shops with long enough M14 Class 10.9s).

As for the washer, MrBlaine's are probably the best bet, but normally guys use those with adjustable arms so you can still set the alignment.

Anyone using them with stock arms? (I have to admit, I'm tempted, those are the only two bolts I kept when I did my LCAs.)
3eff_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff View Post
As for the washer, MrBlaine's are probably the best bet, but normally guys use those with adjustable arms so you can still set the alignment.

Anyone using them with stock arms? (I have to admit, I'm tempted, those are the only two bolts I kept when I did my LCAs.)
What does the bolt and washer have to do with setting an alignment with adjustable arms? Nothing. It will work fine.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
3eff_Jeff
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
What does the bolt and washer have to do with setting an alignment with adjustable arms? Nothing. It will work fine.
I have stock arms, not adjustable arms. (I'm also running stock ride-height and geometry.) Those cam bolts are there so you can adjust the stock arm length at least a little bit. Using the washers would remove that cam bolt adjustment. It seems to me that they put it there for a reason, and my best guess is for fine tuning caster (at least to match side-to-side to keep it from pulling). But I'm not sure of this, so I've left it as-is for the time being.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff View Post
I have stock arms, not adjustable arms. (I'm also running stock ride-height and geometry.) Those cam bolts are there so you can adjust the stock arm length at least a little bit. Using the washers would remove that cam bolt adjustment. It seems to me that they put it there for a reason, and my best guess is for fine tuning caster (at least to match side-to-side to keep it from pulling). But I'm not sure of this, so I've left it as-is for the time being.
With your stock suspension you don't need to worry about it and the effectiveness of setting caster with the offset washers is so limited that DC stopped including them as stock.
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
3eff_Jeff
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
With your stock suspension you don't need to worry about it and the effectiveness of setting caster with the offset washers is so limited that DC stopped including them as stock.
Ha! I thought they didn't look like they could do much of anything. Thanks, Biffgnar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.