JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Front LCA Replacement Cam Bolt (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/front-lca-replacement-cam-bolt-1613881/)

Johnny4runner 09-23-2013 01:09 AM

Front LCA Replacement Cam Bolt

I need advice on getting a replacement cam bolt for my front passenger LCA. This weekend I had to pull my RE front passenger radius arm off and found that the LCA bolt had been completely booger up by a rock. I was barely able to get it off without cutting it, and stripped the threads off of the bolt. I guess since its a 1997 TJ the cam bolt was a factory bolt, but I'm not sure.

Anyway who makes good/strong cam bolts that I can replace it with? Since The radius arms are adjustable I guess I could ditch the cam bolts all together. But it would be easier if I don't have to mess with the other radius arm and its cam bolt.

drandersoninc 09-23-2013 07:40 AM

Others can give you better ideas I'm sure, but on more than one occasion I have and still use either Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts and nuts from my neighborhood Lowe's for my suspension pieces. IMHO that grade bolt strength is enough for my needs and are readily accessible. YMMV

CharlieHo 09-23-2013 10:46 AM

9/16" x 4" grade 8 bolt would be a suitable replacement. I think it's 4", might be 5".

If your arms are adjustable, I wouldn't fool with a cam bolt.

Stu Olson 09-23-2013 10:47 AM

Long ago, I replaced all of my factory lower control arm bolts with a batch of 9/16" Grade 8 bolts, lock washers, and nuts. I did that after spending WAY too much buying some factory replacement bolts/nuts. Never had an issue since the Grade 8 hardware was installed. If you have an ACE Hardware in your area, I've found them a good source for reasonably priced hardware.

IslandTJ 09-23-2013 11:12 AM

This^

So glad when I came across this bit of info on Stu's site :). Great site BTW.

Stu Olson 09-23-2013 12:14 PM

Thanks....glad to hear you've found helpful info there. :highfive:

Johnny4runner 09-23-2013 04:06 PM

I read Stu's write-up and that is basically what happened to me. The bolt came off without any thread left on it. Additionally the bolt was so messed up the cam lobe took some serious persuasion to come off.

So the 9/16 bolt will fit in w/o a problem? Do I need a washer of a particular size to prevent the bolt from wiggling in the alignment horseshoe? To replace the cam?

biffgnar 09-23-2013 04:09 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny4runner (Post 16253761)
I read Stu's write-up and that is basically what happened to me. The bolt came off without any thread left on it. Additionally the bolt was so messed up the cam lobe took some serious persuasion to come off.

So the 9/16 bolt will fit in w/o a problem? Do I need a washer of a particular size to prevent the bolt from wiggling in the alignment horseshoe? To replace the cam?

If you have adjustable arms and don't need to use an offset washer, then these are very nice: http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Joh...ashers_c80.htm

3eff_Jeff 09-23-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny4runner (Post 16253761)

The bolts are actually M14 Class 10.9. 9/16" is ever so slightly larger. When I tried the 9/16" bolt swap, they wouldn't fit in the collar in the bushing. Just getting the right bolts from McMaster-Carr was the easiest thing for me (I couldn't find any local shops with long enough M14 Class 10.9s).

As for the washer, MrBlaine's are probably the best bet, but normally guys use those with adjustable arms so you can still set the alignment.

Anyone using them with stock arms? (I have to admit, I'm tempted, those are the only two bolts I kept when I did my LCAs.)

biffgnar 09-24-2013 10:15 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff (Post 16263537)
As for the washer, MrBlaine's are probably the best bet, but normally guys use those with adjustable arms so you can still set the alignment.

Anyone using them with stock arms? (I have to admit, I'm tempted, those are the only two bolts I kept when I did my LCAs.)

:confused: What does the bolt and washer have to do with setting an alignment with adjustable arms? Nothing. It will work fine.

3eff_Jeff 09-25-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 16274865)
:confused: What does the bolt and washer have to do with setting an alignment with adjustable arms? Nothing. It will work fine.

I have stock arms, not adjustable arms. (I'm also running stock ride-height and geometry.) Those cam bolts are there so you can adjust the stock arm length at least a little bit. Using the washers would remove that cam bolt adjustment. It seems to me that they put it there for a reason, and my best guess is for fine tuning caster (at least to match side-to-side to keep it from pulling). But I'm not sure of this, so I've left it as-is for the time being.

biffgnar 09-25-2013 11:48 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3eff_Jeff (Post 16306705)
I have stock arms, not adjustable arms. (I'm also running stock ride-height and geometry.) Those cam bolts are there so you can adjust the stock arm length at least a little bit. Using the washers would remove that cam bolt adjustment. It seems to me that they put it there for a reason, and my best guess is for fine tuning caster (at least to match side-to-side to keep it from pulling). But I'm not sure of this, so I've left it as-is for the time being.

With your stock suspension you don't need to worry about it and the effectiveness of setting caster with the offset washers is so limited that DC stopped including them as stock.

3eff_Jeff 09-25-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar (Post 16306785)
With your stock suspension you don't need to worry about it and the effectiveness of setting caster with the offset washers is so limited that DC stopped including them as stock.

Ha! I thought they didn't look like they could do much of anything. Thanks, Biffgnar.

The time now is 02:34 PM.