front end u-joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > front end u-joints

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

front end u-joints

I've been noticing whenever I accelerate a little hard I hear a couple clicks coming from underneath me towards the front of the jeep. The harder I accelerate, the harder the clicking. It sounds almost like it's coming from the driver front axle u-joint, but it's hard to tell for sure since I'm in the vehicle. Do axle ujoints click like that before going out? I wouldn't think so b/c I'm not stressing the front axle while in 2wd, so they shouldn't be clicking. What about the front driveshaft ujoints? But I wouldn't think they're under stress either in 2wd???

4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is it a clicking sound definitely?

Otherwise it could very well be the bushing on the anti-sway bar. When you accelerate, weight shifts to the rear and the front left end lifts up a little (thats how a TJ engine rotates). Its a possibility.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had a clicking sound that was driving me crazy. It would happen while turning sharp and also when I would first accelerate from a stop. It was my passenger side u-joint.

Get down there and grab ahold to see if you can feel any play in the joint.
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yep check your U-joints, they dont last forever. Be sure to buy genuine spicer 760x's. The house brand u-joints like napa and autozone dont seem to hold up well to our off roading and bigger tires. I also prefer sealed over greaseable.
Unread 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike
I've been noticing whenever I accelerate a little hard I hear a couple clicks coming from underneath me towards the front of the jeep. The harder I accelerate, the harder the clicking. It sounds almost like it's coming from the driver front axle u-joint, but it's hard to tell for sure since I'm in the vehicle. Do axle ujoints click like that before going out? I wouldn't think so b/c I'm not stressing the front axle while in 2wd, so they shouldn't be clicking. What about the front driveshaft ujoints? But I wouldn't think they're under stress either in 2wd???
Just courteous, how many miles do you have on your rig?
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
Just courteous, how many miles do you have on your rig?
about 70,000

I'll have to check for play in the ujoints then. I know my front drive shaft has about half an inch of play in it, but it's not at the ujoints. Is that normal?
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What king of play? Rotational?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There will always be some rotational play in the front driveshaft as NP231 is a chain driven transfer case. As long as there is no play between the components on the driveshaft itself, it should not raise any alarms within reason.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper
There will always be some rotational play in the front driveshaft as NP231 is a chain driven transfer case. As long as there is no play between the components on the driveshaft itself, it should not raise any alarms within reason.
Yeah, it's just a little rotation and it's not across the ujoints. I'll give the axle ujoints a look at.
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
about 70,000

I'll have to check for play in the ujoints then. I know my front drive shaft has about half an inch of play in it, but it's not at the ujoints. Is that normal?
I lost my first U-joint at 38,000 miles FYI
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_c
yep check your U-joints, they dont last forever. Be sure to buy genuine spicer 760x's. The house brand u-joints like napa and autozone dont seem to hold up well to our off roading and bigger tires. I also prefer sealed over greaseable.
I found some that are spicer 5-760x. that's the one's right?
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I found some that are spicer 5-760x. that's the one's right?
Yep...Have you seen the write-up on Stu's site?
Unread 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well all my ujoints feel solid up front. I noticed that the bushing on the pitman arm was warped and lopsided. Can these pop when they're worn and need to be replaced? I'm gonna order a ujoint too just in case though.
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

To update: I replaced both the front axle shaft ujoints last week and to my disappointment, the problem was still there, unchanged. I've also noticed that it doesn't click as badly or at all when it's real cold outside but does it a lot worse when the temp gets up to the 60s and 70s. I also had someone stand outside while I hit the gas and they thought the clicking was coming from a little further back, around the xcase or transmission. So to bring up the question again, the front driveshaft shouldn't be under stress while accelerating in 2wd right? So the front driveshaft ujoints shouldn't be clicking louder and harder, the harder I hit the gas if it were them, right?
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check your trans. mount?
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.