Front end squeaking/ scraping (brakes?) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front end squeaking/ scraping (brakes?)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes there are. If you put them on the wrong side, they are upside down on the bracket. The 2 tabs go on bottom, while the one tab goes on top.

This could almost certainly allow at least the piston side pad to move more under forward braking than it would if on the correct side.

The piston side has a spring that goes in the piston, and the outside pad has 2 buttons that seat in 2 holes. They all have 2 tabs on one side an only 1 tab on the other. The 2 tabs are supposed to be on the bottom bracket.

Think about that for as long as you need, and you'll find although they CAN be installed 2 ways, there is only one CORRECT way you can achieve it.

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
I wouldn't go back to that shop.. Ever...
Don't bring to me then either. I warrantied a set of our pads that the customer said was squeaking and our pads don't squeak. I have them ship them to me and see that the backers have been bowed enough that it cracked the friction layer. A bit more examination revealed they had been run upside down.

I can only guess that the slotted end locked into the divots easier and then caused the backer to bow.

Anyway, the easy way to remember how to install them correctly is to remember to set the caliper with pads on the lower slider first and then rotate the top in.

As for it not being possible, I've got a rig in the driveway right now that I just swapped the pads side to side because they were on backwards, so it does happen and probably more often than we know.
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
Yes there are. If you put them on the wrong side, they are upside down on the bracket. The 2 tabs go on bottom, while the one tab goes on top.

This could almost certainly allow at least the piston side pad to move more under forward braking than it would if on the correct side.

The piston side has a spring that goes in the piston, and the outside pad has 2 buttons that seat in 2 holes. They all have 2 tabs on one side an only 1 tab on the other. The 2 tabs are supposed to be on the bottom bracket.

Think about that for as long as you need, and you'll find although they CAN be installed 2 ways, there is only one CORRECT way you can achieve it.
You are correct on most things with the exception of them being able to be installed 2 ways. There is a variable that involves taking the number of pieces that are unique and then using that number as a power to find the total number of variations. I don't remember how to do that exactly but I can easily let you do some math for me.

The inner pad on both can be up and down.
The outer can be both up and down.
Both can be up, both can be down.
1 can be up and 1 can be down on the same caliper.

Don't laugh, I've seen it and sat there a few minutes trying to figure out how to get it back apart and fix it and darn it if the other side wasn't the same way.
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

You are correct on most things with the exception of them being able to be installed 2 ways. There is a variable that involves taking the number of pieces that are unique and then using that number as a power to find the total number of variations. I don't remember how to do that exactly but I can easily let you do some math for me.

The inner pad on both can be up and down.
The outer can be both up and down.
Both can be up, both can be down.
1 can be up and 1 can be down on the same caliper.

Don't laugh, I've seen it and sat there a few minutes trying to figure out how to get it back apart and fix it and darn it if the other side wasn't the same way.
Certainly there are more combinations...I would think one would have to be clever enough and/or work hard enough to get them on that way such that it should be pretty obvious that something is wrong.

Tags
brakes , dragging , front , sticking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.