Front end squeaking/ scraping (brakes?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front end squeaking/ scraping (brakes?)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Front end squeaking/ scraping (brakes?)

So I've developed a squeaking/ squealing/ scraping in my front end. I disconnected my front ds and it had no effect on the noise. I jacked up one tire and tried to spin it and had a good deal of resistance. I was able to get the noise to happen faintly when I spun the tire as fast as I could. When I stopped spinning it, the tire stopped in less than 1/2 of a turn. I had a friend apply the brakes on and off and I could not visibly see the calipers moving. When I tried to turn the rotor without the tire, I was barely able to move it and the brake pad left a slight residue on the rotor. I also tried to move the tire from the top and bottom to see if the wheel bearing was bad and didn't have any noticeable play. I also spun a rear wheel and it had almost no resistance so it doesn't seem like those brakes are sticking.

So I'm thinking the front brakes are sticking. (happens on both sides) I've been doing some reading up. The brakes were bled/ flushed recently because the rear wheel cylinders had to be replaced. I read that this could cause a brake line to seize up due to the crap in the system. Any way to see if this is the case?

I also read that you can pull the caliper off and use a C clamp to push the piston back (although this a crutch/ temporary/ not a fix at all).

What kind of diagnosis can I do before I blindly start replacing things?

I'm back at UConn for the semester (my school) now so my tools and resources are limited. Any help would be great. Thank you

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
steelslinger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are both front wheels hard to turn? If so break the bleeder loose. If the wheel turns freely after its a hydraulic problem, maybe a hose. If not then the caliper may be stuck.
steelslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslinger View Post
Are both front wheels hard to turn? If so break the bleeder loose. If the wheel turns freely after its a hydraulic problem, maybe a hose. If not then the caliper may be stuck.
I'm sorry I know very little about brakes. Where is the bleeder? I'm assuming on the caliper somewhere?
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
je4wdep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds more like front wheel bearing packs to me.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
steelslinger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The bleeder is on the top of the caliper. A 10mm wrench should work forgetting it loose and brake fluid should come out. If it still doesn't turn you can take the caliper off to see if that frees it up. If it still won't turn then I'd look at the bearings because the brake is totally out of the picture
steelslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The reason I don't think it is the wheel bearing is because I noticed this noise and problem almost immediately after the rear wheel cylinders were done. Unless it is just coincidence
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update: I did some more poking around. I loosened the bleeder and fluid dripped out. It did not squirt out. The piston did not compress and the rotor was still difficult to turn.

I took the caliper off. I noticed that the slide pins did not move with total ease. Could this mean the calipers need to be replaced?
Also while the caliper was off the rotor I had a friend hit the brakes and the piston expanded but did not go back. Is this expected when the caliper is off the rotor?

While the caliper was off the rotor I turned the rotor and it did not move as freely as I expected. The driveshaft was still connected but I can't imagine this would add much resistance.
I noticed that I could move the rotor a tiny bit without having the driveshaft turn. The slack or play was somewhere between where the driveshaft connects with the axle(sorry I don't know the name) and where the axle shaft enters the tube. This video shows the amount of resistance (or tries to) http://s981.photobucket.com/user/dou...48f07.mp4.html
I used a C clamp and compressed the piston and put it all back together. I tried to rotate the rotor again and had a little more resistance as the pads were still rubbing the rotor.

I want to try to figure out whats wrong before I blindly start replacing parts like the lines and calipers.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Fixed! I ended up caving and taking it to a garage nearby. Turns out my brake pads were installed on the wrong sides. They've been like that for 2 years (I haven't touched them since the PO). No more squeak! Thanks for the help
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
Fixed! I ended up caving and taking it to a garage nearby. Turns out my brake pads were installed on the wrong sides. They've been like that for 2 years (I haven't touched them since the PO). No more squeak! Thanks for the help
Nimrod PO, huh?
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Benderff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131
Huh? I don't see how that could happen?
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't understand how its possible to do this
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure either. The auto shop said that the pads on the passenger side were supposed to be on the driver side and vise versa. They said this caused the caliper and pads to skip around a bit.
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Benderff
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure either. The auto shop said that the pads on the passenger side were supposed to be on the driver side and vise versa. They said this caused the caliper and pads to skip around a bit.
I wouldn't go back to that shop.. Ever...
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
I wouldn't go back to that shop.. Ever...
My squeak went away and they only charged me for a half hour of labor so I'm not sure what went on
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My squeak went away and they only charged me for a half hour of labor so I'm not sure what went on
Lots go with their ridiculous premise for a second. They swapped your pads side to side and only charged a half an hour labor? Isn't that pretty much the same amount of work as a full pad replacement? I'd be surprised if a shop only charged half an hour for full pad replacement. Sounds to me like they took a big air gun and blew a lot of brake dust out of there or something like that and then made up a story. At least they could have made up a story that makes sense. There are no driver side pads v. passenger side pads as far as I know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.