Front end crunching/grinding noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front end crunching/grinding noise

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Front end crunching/grinding noise

2006 TJ, stock D30 front axle with 33" tires

Im thinking the ring and pinion are toast in my front end. I have some grinding noise and the front is slipping in 4H and 4L

Is there a way to test these gears without removing the diff cover?

If they are toast, is there any harm in driving until I replace them, probably a week or two?

thunderbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Serioiusly?? don't drive it

You cannot test gears pull the cover and inspect is the only way.

And if you suspect a diff problem, driving it is a quick way to find out for sure, and find out how much a tow truck will cost.
Pull the cover take pictures, post them up, and look for any marks, gouges and large and small metal fillings. Well help you out just don't drive it with crunching and grinding coming from the front end. That shouldn't even sound like an optioin with those types of noises and slipping in the front end.

Last edited by tjsean0308; 09-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: I was a little mean, sorry
tjsean0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heres some more detailed info.

Last time I was out wheeling a month ago, I heard a pop or clunk type of noise while climbing or pushing through a deep set of muddy ruts. I have heard it in 4Hi and 4Lo both. You could hear and feel it. I couldnt tell exactly where it was coming from but it sounded like the front axle or transfer case. It was only under heavy load, not just driving or smaller hills and muddy ruts. I chose to end my day of wheeling before it went completely. That was about 500 miles ago. This is my daily driver so this 500+ miles was city, to and from work. No noise since.

Since I planned on doing it soon anyway, I put in a SYE and CV shaft, thinking that if it was in the transfer case I would see something. Well the SYE and CV shaft went on fine, nothing unusual in the TC or with the old rear drive shaft. Also the magnet in the TC was pretty clean, no chunks and only a little of residue to wipe off.

I took it out again today to a local place that has a couple steep but low hills. I did this to see if it was better after the SYE and CV shaft and climbing a hill in 4Lo produced the sound again. Definitely coming from the front. To me it sounds like a stripped gear. I pulled up against a smaller hill in 4Hi and gave it some gas. The rear tires spun a little, the front didnt and I heard the noise again, now a persistent slipping, mild grind while in 4wd and trying to climb.

4Hi and 4Lo drive fine, no weird noise, only when I was trying to climb. Makes no difference if Im turning or going straight, no noise. Its only when in 4wd and Im trying to climb.

I will plan on pulling the cover tonight or in the morning if thats the only way to tell if the problem is in the axle.
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitly need to pull the cover. Sounds like it could be a spider gear.
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would make sure your xfer case is adjusted correctly first cause gears like a ring & pinion is gonna give you fits without it being in 4wd, spider gears will also make noise in 2wd while turning so I would be looking closely at the xfer case.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I would make sure your xfer case is adjusted correctly first cause gears like a ring & pinion is gonna give you fits without it being in 4wd, spider gears will also make noise in 2wd while turning so I would be looking closely at the xfer case.
Just pulled the diff cover. Nice and clean, no chunks. Sprayed it out real good and all the gears that are visible look good. I think I would have seen some chunks if this was the issue.

Now Im leaning towards the transfer case. When I put the SYE on there wasnt anything weird. The chain and sprocket both looked good. Of course thats the back side of the case. Is it possible something towards the front is broke that I wouldnt have seen when doing the SYE?

What do you mean about making sure the transfer case is adjusted correctly? When I put it in 4Lo, it did seam rough. I believe its rubbing against the tub. I have an AA relocation bracket under there and I know its interfering with the tub a little. When you talk about adjusted correctly, do you mean as far as how well its engaging in 4wd?

Please elaborate as Im more than likely heading to the TC next.
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbyte View Post
What do you mean about making sure the transfer case is adjusted correctly? When I put it in 4Lo, it did seam rough. I believe its rubbing against the tub. I have an AA relocation bracket under there and I know its interfering with the tub a little. When you talk about adjusted correctly, do you mean as far as how well its engaging in 4wd?

Please elaborate as Im more than likely heading to the TC next.
Yes, adjusted properly so that it shifts into all ranges and engages fully. You may also want to address the problem with the t-case shifter rubbing on the tub. It may be that the tub is trying to push your t-case out of gear when you start to climb and the body is flexing.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thats good advice and makes sense. I will look in to this, maybe tomorrow weather permitting. I will post my results when Im done.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
thunderbyte
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As promised, here are the results. I bent my tub up around the shifter bracket for clearance. I then adjusted the linkage. I did this by putting the handle in 4H, against the gate that keeps it from going further into 4L. I then loosened the bolt that holds the shift rod in place. I manually move the shift mechanism back and forth until I could feel it settle in a spot that seamed solid.

This got it very close. A couple of minor adjustments and it feels very solid now.

I took it out to those same little hills and no slipping. I intentionally got my tires muddy so the rears would have the chance to slip so I was mainly pulling with the front. Again no slipping.

Thanks for all the feedback. I learn something new all the time!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.