Front driveshaft rubbing against exhaust pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front driveshaft rubbing against exhaust pipe

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
clerical12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Front driveshaft rubbing against exhaust pipe

Was out in the woods last night. Heading back to the road I had to go over a mound of rocks and dirt. I believe I hit the rockers but didn't thnk anything of it. As I started on the road I heard this noise caused by the driveshaft. I checked but didn't see anything, now I know it's the front driveshaft rubbing against the exhaust pipe. Any ideas of what went wrong and how to fix this? I checked quick and didn't see any obvious signs of what happened. I will produce pictures in the AM.

clerical12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If your exhaust is hitting the front driveshaft then that should tell you what went wrong. As to how to fix it, depending on the extent of damage to the exhaust system, you could either push it over with your foot or a 2x4 or you could replace it. If it is bent enough to restrict flow, it could cause poor performance.(Sorry if that sounds like a late night commercial for a mens health product.)
Unread 12-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
SixZeroAlpha
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im having the same problem right now. i havent heard much, however having it on a hoist the other day i did notice it rubbing. i know it is as recent as the last engine going in so im curious as to if it was improper install of the engine or something else. ( i have been counting the things going wrong and just stopped counting at the doors. but thats another story)
SixZeroAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check your motor mounts and the track-bar. You may have broke a motor mount, or moved the axle a little further to the passenger side.

It could also be the exhaust hanger near the transfer case (that's the first hanger forward). As my exhaust got older, it hung down more on the passenger side, which caused it to move closer to the driveshaft. I just added another hanger near the upper control arm mount on the passenger side.

Tags
driveshaft , exhaust , rub , rubbing , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.