Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front Driveshaft Boot?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  oakmckinley 
#1 ·
Will my Jeep spontaneously combust if I remove the boot from the front driveshaft slip-joint?

I ask because the band/clamp is *barely* rubbing against the exhaust cross-over pipe.

I know the rear driveshaft doesn't have a boot. And none of the older Jeeps have a boot on either shaft. So I'm not sure if the TJ front shaft specifically needs it, or the engineers just added it for giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I would never run without a boot. That boot is there not only to keep grease in BUT to keep dirt and grime out . You can damaged the Teflon coating or even the splines if it gets dirt and crap in there. IMO I would get it fixed. Its like $10-20 at a driveline shop ...just make sure if you take it off you mark where the splines were lined up before you slip it out to put new boot on..

#4 ·
You could loosen the down tube of the exhaust and push up and re-tighten.. There is a good bit of play in it. Its just a ball and socket connection.

Or clean the inside of the boot real well and glue it to the shaft and remove the clamp.... Leaving it better than taking off..
Dirt and sand gets in the splines it could lock up or fail to extend or collapse and crack your T case.

#5 ·
I've always been under the impression that the shafts built without a boot have instead some sort of a cap/seal at the splines to keep out dirt. I think at builders like TW it is an option you pick as to which way you go. That would explain shafts you see without boots. Removing boot though when shaft doesn't have that cap does not seem like a good plan to me.

#11 ·
You may think so at first, but, in particular on the front, driveshaft boots can be exposed to a decent amount of heat from exhaust piping. Driveshaft boots are made out of a material that is designed to handle that heat. Shock boots are not and will melt fairly easily.

#17 ·
The issue isn't the boot itself but the band clamp?
It probably was reinstalled incorrectly or broken? Pull it off and use a zip tie.

I agree though keep the boot. I believe the trans tail shaft is made of aluminum. That's not gonna stand up to rocks getting wedged between the yoke and tail shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.