Front driveline slack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front driveline slack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Pucknutz69
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Front driveline slack

D-30 with a Spartan locker.
Lots of noise and slop in drive shaft. (i know zip lockers click but this has got worse)
Replaced u-joints thinking they were stiff causing binding....they weren't that bad.
Now with vehicle sitting I can twist front drive shaft 1/4 turn each direction.

Is it slop in the transfer case chain?

Or messed up ring/pinion from install?

Pretty cut and dry on the install isn't it? shouldn't be a need for shims or anything more??

Pucknutz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

From what I am told; it is normal. I have the same in my d30 with my aussie. I tried to source it down for MONTHS, only to find the installation papers mentioning increased backlash is normal for an auto locker.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, between the required backlash (slop) between the ring & pinion gears & the additional backlash/slop an automatic locker adds, you'll get a lot of rotational slop at the pinion shaft. Alarming at first until you learn that it's normal & required.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

And if you have a manual transmission, you will hear it a LOT.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Pucknutz69
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad its just normal.....not happy about the clicking. It's only the cabin jeep so it's not that bad.
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have an Aussie in my front (High pinion) dana 30. I only hear the ratcheting / clicking when in 4WD. I would check your fluid in your front axle. Perhaps move to a slightly higher weight? I use 80w-90.
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Pucknutz69
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Got the heavy weight oil in and level is good. Going to do some recon next week on just to be sure things are lined up right in there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.