Front drive shaft still turning in 2WD?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front drive shaft still turning in 2WD??

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
nico1

Front drive shaft still turning in 2WD??

I was getting ready the snow coming and wanted to make sure everything was working with the 4WD before it hits. Everything engaged fine when I went from 2WD to 4HI then from 4HI to 4LO. No problems from 4LO back to 4HI either. Now when I switch back from 4HI to 2HI it feels like the transfer case disengages but after terrible gas mileage over the last couple days I went under to have a look. Even though it feels like the front drive shaft is disengaged it is still turning. Is this due to the front axles not disengaging from the front dif? If so what is the fix?

I am guessing something wrong with a vacuum line but again I am just guessing???

Thanks!

Unread 12-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

there are no vaccuum lines in engaging the TJ transfer case

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

i took mine out for better fuel economy.... not really, but i did take it out.

If i'm correct, the front DS turns no matter what. it is driven by the front axle, and basically is in neutral as far as the t-case is concerned.

but i could be wrong

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
nico1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
there are no vaccuum lines in engaging the TJ transfer case
So is there anything in place on the TJ up front that disengages the front axels from the dif to stop the front drive shaft from spinning or does it allways spin even in 2wd?? Sorry just trying to understand the setup. Thanks!
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico1
So is there anything in place on the TJ up front that disengages the front axels from the dif to stop the front drive shaft from spinning or does it allways spin even in 2wd?? Sorry just trying to understand the setup. Thanks!
You would need some sort of locking front hub kit to disengage your front axle shafts.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico1

as i understand it, the front driveshaft turns even when in 2wd, its just not engaged

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
as i understand it, the front driveshaft turns even when in 2wd, its just not engaged
That's right.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
nico1

Ok, sounds like everything is normal then. Thanks for answering my dumb questions.
Unread 12-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
harpo1

You have automatic hubs so the drive shaft turns all the time.
Teraflex 4:1 Transfer with Extreme Short Shaft SYE
ARB Lockers w/4.88 Gears
Poison Spyder Trail Cage
harpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 01:16 AM   #10
sryan2k1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1
You have automatic hubs so the drive shaft turns all the time.

Automatic hubs would be the electronic locking type, our TJs have permanently locked hubs, which is why the drive shaft always spins, and which is why it can be thrown into 4wd at almost any speed, since the hubs don't have to lock
sryan2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 04:30 AM   #11
Brew461

Side bar here.

What kind of Gas mileage increase do people see when the warn manual hubs are installed?
Brew461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #12
Overdrive
2013 JK Wrangler 

They are called drive flanges on a TJ. There is no lock/unlock. The hubs are attached to the axle by the flange.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #13
stedwest
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew461
Side bar here.

What kind of Gas mileage increase do people see when the warn manual hubs are installed?

I talked to one local, who said his locking hubs made no difference in fuel mileage. Look at his set-up, however, and you'd know that his rig isn't built for gas mileage anyway...
Unread 12-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
They are called drive flanges on a TJ. There is no lock/unlock. The hubs are attached to the axle by the flange.
Drive flanges are typically used to replace a locking hub on vehicles so equipped.

There are no locking hubs on TJ, thus no drive flanges.

It's a unitized bearing assembly just like a front wheel drive mini-van has.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.