Front ??? Does this make sense? Pics... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front ??? Does this make sense? Pics...

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Front track bar ??? Does this make sense? Pics...

I took some measurements just to see track bar locations and pinion angle. I checked it at stock height and jacked it up 3" by the bumper. The pinion angle only changed by 1-2* so thats good, but look at the pics on the track bar. The measurements were taken from the frame to tire all in the same spot.

First 2 stock height, PASS and DRIVERS. ( 9" on drivers and 8 3/8" pass )

Next 2 3" PASS and DRIVERS. ( 8 3/4" on both sides )

With the 3" I'm even on both sides. Would I have to relocate the track bar if I install a 3" lift? Thats kinda where I'm getting here. Or is this a bad test?

pass-stock.jpg   drivers-stock.jpg   pass-3.jpg   drivers-3.jpg  
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

132 views and nobody?
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I say if you get a lift then deal with it. That test isnt very true becaust the trackbar still might pull the axel to the driver side. The length in the springs can very in size giving you more or less lift thus moving the axle to the driver of passenger side. Best thing to do is buy the lift and get a adjustable track bar if the lift doesnt come with it.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying - you took some measurements, and it looks to you like your axle will be more centered after your lift than before without touching the stock tie rod.

One of the effects of jacking your bumper up like that is it increases your toe-in (assuming you have a stock or similar inverted-Y steering). Also it partially unloads your axles so things sit a little differently. Are you positive the steering is pointing exactly straight ahead for both sets of measurements? What I'm saying is you're not getting true measurements. You would have to install your lift then remeasure to determine how close to center your axle actually is. You will probably find that reality is not as good as your mock-up leads you to believe.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
I took some measurements just to see track bar locations and pinion angle. I checked it at stock height and jacked it up 3" by the bumper. The pinion angle only changed by 1-2* so thats good, but look at the pics on the track bar. The measurements were taken from the frame to tire all in the same spot.

First 2 stock height, PASS and DRIVERS. ( 9" on drivers and 8 3/8" pass )

Next 2 3" PASS and DRIVERS. ( 8 3/4" on both sides )

With the 3" I'm even on both sides. Would I have to relocate the track bar if I install a 3" lift? Thats kinda where I'm getting here. Or is this a bad test?
Yes, as you would with any size.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post

Many variables and many trackbars etc. Yes that is a bad test as said.
You would need to undo your trackbar have the jeep weight on the ground and see where your axle sits. Then adjust your trackbar.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding something.
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I think op says his track bar is off center at stock height, and is wondering how close to center it would be with 3" lift. I believe he is basing his measurements off of jacking it up by the bumper 3".
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
I think op says his track bar is off center at stock height, and is wondering how close to center it would be with 3" lift. I believe he is basing his measurements off of jacking it up by the bumper 3".
Yea I guess it could be a bad test, But with it on the ground and the wheel centered the measurements are still different on each side. I would say maybe the wheel was turned a little, but it drives perfectly straight down the road with the wheel centered. So I figured center the wheel, take a measurement then jack it up by the bumper bringing the suspension up 3" and take a measurement. Who knows, just doing some pre checks...
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if the lift you want doesn't come with an adjustable TB, then go ahead and install it with the stock TB. If, after installation, you find that the front axle is not centered, it's easy enough to install an adjustable TB later, and there's no requirement that it come from the same manufacturer as the rest of the "kit".
(...and it really won't hurt anything if you have to drive it around off-center for a bit... on the road you're not likely to have rubbing issues because of it.)
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Btw op, don't redrill a new tb hole for 3" of lift. I know the instructions say to, but it will be worse. Stock tb hole with my bds 3" coils its just over 1/4" more to the drivers side. When I redrilled the new hole per instructions, it was over 1" towards the drivers side. Made it off enter and drove like ****. Put it back in the stock hole and u can't even tell. Every jeep is different. If it's too far off you can go with the mc tb. For 160 bux its better then all of the other similar priced options

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.