Front Dana 44 Swap Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Dana 44 Swap Help!

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front Dana 44 Swap Help!

Okay so the manager at 4wheelparts gave me this dana 44 out of the front of a rubicon. Its just the axle though - Inner knuckles, shafts, and Differential. it doesn't even have the diff cover. it was free, so im considering building this up.

my question is what can i use out of my dana 30 to put in this 44. Shafts, outer knuckles and brakes, Gears, carrier. I need to know what i would need to get if its not compatable with the dana 44. thanks

Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have been researching axles and swaps recently and from what I have gathered, pretty much everything will swap over. The only real difference between the 30 and 44 front is the housing. Everything is the same and will swap over, shafts, knuckes, brakes and so forth. While upgrading you might wanna upgrade the u-joints to beefier units as those are usually the weak points in a 30 or 44 front. Might as well put some Warn hubs and chromoly shafts in too. With that setup you will good up to 40" tires depending how you are on the gas. Someone with more experience will step in Im sure. HTH.

--Matt

-Parts list keeps growing...
blacktjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
CRSMacgyver

Everything except the cover, gears, carrier, and axle shafts will work. We do these all the time, if I can help at all PM or call me and I will be happy to help you out.

Andy
www.carolinarockshop.com
704-525-5109
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSMacgyver
Everything except the cover, gears, carrier, and inner axle shafts will work. We do these all the time, if I can help at all PM or call me and I will be happy to help you out.

Andy
www.carolinarockshop.com
704-525-5109
slight change to help you out Andy.
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One of my friends told me that the Dana 44 is exactly the same as the Dana 30 except for the differential, gears, and carrier....is this true? Does that mean that the tubes are not beefed up at all for the rubicons, or even the old wagoneer dana 44s?

also, it has no yoke(i think this is the correct term) for the front driveshaft, is that part of the carrier?
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
One of my friends told me that the Dana 44 is exactly the same as the Dana 30 except for the differential, gears, and carrier....is this true? Does that mean that the tubes are not beefed up at all for the rubicons, or even the old wagoneer dana 44s?
asked and answered
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
asked and answered
by this im thinking that you mean what he said is true and the tubes are not beefed up...
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
camoTJ

I thought the stub shafts are the same as well.

( and a rubi 44 wont last with 40's )
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

From what I know the tubes are the same....but you can still build it up pretty good and all...or you could just put a Super 30 w/an ARB up front get the Alloy USA shafts and add CTM u-joints now your D30 will be pretty dang strong, you dont have to jack with fabbing it up and you can always get a high steer knuckle to improve your steering geometry. And you can always make a few bucks by selling the 44 front...just another thought.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktjsport
Might as well put some Warn hubs and chromoly shafts in too. With that setup you will good up to 40" tires depending how you are on the gas. Someone with more experience will step in Im sure. HTH.

--Matt

Not even 37's on a steady diet of rocks with that be durable for.
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ
From what I know the tubes are the same....but you can still build it up pretty good and all...or you could just put a Super 30 w/an ARB up front get the Alloy USA shafts and add CTM u-joints now your D30 will be pretty dang strong, you dont have to jack with fabbing it up and you can always get a high steer knuckle to improve your steering geometry. And you can always make a few bucks by selling the 44 front...just another thought.
I have all three American front axles that bolt into a TJ in the back yard. LP 30, HP 30, and LP 44.

The only differences are anything that has to do with the pumpkin and pinion height above the ground.

Everything else is close enough to be interchangeable with the exception of different years of unitbearings and that's only because of the rotors needed. If you already have rotors and unit bearings that match, run 'em.

I just looked at the Rubi unit bearings and they look pretty darn close to the 2000 and up TJ units.
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #12
camoTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ

add hubs to that.... ctms dont like turning all the time
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoTJ
add hubs to that.... ctms dont like turning all the time
Internet Myth. Not your fault, but call Jack at CTM to verify if you believe it to be true. In fact, it's a myth started by a buddy of Ox because they don't recommend theirs on a DD without lock outs.
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:53 PM   #14
camoTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Internet Myth. Not your fault, but call Jack at CTM to verify if you believe it to be true. In fact, it's a myth started by a buddy of Ox because they don't recommend theirs on a DD without lock outs.

Ineresting....Even from shops I have heard that. I will prolly run into jack at some point in the next year, maybe I will ask him. But I could see that to be true. Not like it really matters since I run hubs, but nice to have the right info
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoTJ
Ineresting....Even from shops I have heard that. I will prolly run into jack at some point in the next year, maybe I will ask him. But I could see that to be true. Not like it really matters since I run hubs, but nice to have the right info
Next time a shop informs you of that little nugget of misinformation, ask them where they got it from. Likely they have someone who spends time on the forums.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.