Front camber issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front camber issues

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
jbo667
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Front camber issues

So I installed a 4" Black Mountain Suspension lift (looked to be a pieced together kit with Superlift springs) which included a transfer case drop, springs, lower control arms and extended sway bar links and have had enough of a camber issue that my front tires (BFG M/T's)are wearing badly and alarmingly fast with 28 psi in them (chalk tested). My buddy is a Mopar mechanic who installed the lift and says there is no reason the camber should have changed from stock and without adjustable ball joint ends ($$$) there is no camber adjustability. Anyone else had/fixed a similar problem? Don't think it matters but the track bar had a new hole drilled, not an adjustable one.

jbo667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo667 View Post
So I installed a 4" Black Mountain Suspension lift (looked to be a pieced together kit with Superlift springs) which included a transfer case drop, springs, lower control arms and extended sway bar links and have had enough of a camber issue that my front tires (BFG M/T's)are wearing badly and alarmingly fast with 28 psi in them (chalk tested). My buddy is a Mopar mechanic who installed the lift and says there is no reason the camber should have changed from stock and without adjustable ball joint ends ($$$) there is no camber adjustability. Anyone else had/fixed a similar problem? Don't think it matters but the track bar had a new hole drilled, not an adjustable one.
What are your alignment readings? Camber should not have changed with the lift, Post the alignment readings, Incorrect toe in will wear tires more rapidly than any other alignment angle,Take the Jeep to a reputable alignment shop to have the alignment checked (They should provide a print out)
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
jbo667
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't put it on a machine yet. Buddy is a tech at the dealership and it's a visual assessment at this point. But the tires are definitely wearing rapidly and cupping badly.
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you set the toe-in properly? Camber will not change from a suspension lift but the toe-in sure will. You absolutely must always set your toe-in after installing a suspension lift or what is happening to your tires will happen.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
jbo667
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Did you set the toe-in properly? Camber will not change from a suspension lift but the toe-in sure will. You absolutely must always set your toe-in after installing a suspension lift or what is happening to your tires will happen.
No, we are putting on the machine this weekend. My boy is a good mechanic and friend, but I think he has the "half-@$$ed" bug by the end of the week about workin on Jeeps after doin cars and trucks all week... He seems to be pickin up though now that he got a ZJ and got a 5" homebrew lift on some 33" BFG's though. Just needed some motivated light at the end of the tunnel. I am pretty sure he knows what's up and how to fix it, I was just lookin for a professional Jerry answer! Thank you for it.

Everyone kick prayers to the Heep gods that we lick it this weekend; M/T's aren't decreasin in price alongside the Texas gas. $2.15 a gallon in Dallas right now, ready to take it to the trails!
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Set your own toe-in easily and entirely accurately on your own without needing a machine by setting it to between 1/16" to 1/8" closer in front than in the rear of the tire per the instructions at http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

Better yet, do the measurements like in the below photos. Setting your own toe-in like this will produce results just as accurate as an alignment machine can produce... in just a few minutes and for free! Mark the 1" steel tubing so the marks you measure between are at the same points the front and rear edges of your tires would be at... i.e. 33" or perhaps 35" apart.

(click on the thumbnails to make them bigger)
alignmentphotoblaines.jpg   alignmentphotoblainestape.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
cmc1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the toe setting as well. It doesnt take much movent in any dirrection to change the toe setting.Ive been trying to get the best possible caster setting so ive been changing my pinion angle down in small increments and always have to reset the toe in.
cmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
jbo667
1999 TJ Wrangler 

SWEET! Thanks Jerry, I will be doing this ASAP! That is a gravy way and a killer write up. This forum has saved my butt countless times already but my wife is feeling like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnotdrs
I don't like the fact that I am becoming obsessed with sitting in it, driving it, camping with it, wheeling it, modding it, talking about it, reading about and surfing the web looking for new things to get on it! Reading forums to find out what other people are doing with theirs, planning the next "evolution" in it's growth. My wife is now a Jeep "widow", my kid thinks I'm crazy, my friends roll their eyes and I can't seem to find a way off this merry-go-round!! Is there a cure for this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.