-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (
-   -   Front Bumper Suggestions Stock TJ (

yocarney 07-23-2012 05:32 PM

Front Bumper Suggestions Stock TJ
Hello, recently i smashed my front bumper and fender flare in on the drivers side. I eventually wanted to replace it with a nice bumper winch setup down the road. I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have, i would like it to have full frontal protection with a bull bar and capable of handling a winch down the road. I have a completely stock TJ, and don't plan on lifting it for awhile. Will weight be an issue for me, if i was to go with an arb or similar bumper? Figured i would ask the pro's before pulling the trigger. Thanks guys :cheers:

baron 07-24-2012 09:01 AM

I have this one...

jeepinhokie 07-24-2012 09:04 AM

what is your intended use for said jeep?

rock crawling, mall crawling, mudding?

makes a difference in what bumper is appropriate for your future applications.

TheBoogieman 07-24-2012 12:01 PM

Body Armor makes some great,heavy duty bumpers.The weight of the bumper with a winch would cause you to need 1.5" of lift up front because of the weight.

MulletHunter 07-24-2012 07:00 PM Best product for the money hands down. Just swapped my poison spider front and rear for them. Great product!

woodsracer 07-24-2012 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MulletHunter Best product for the money hands down. Just swapped my poison spider front and rear for them. Great product!

I wouldn't say best product hands down. I like mine, but the coating sucks. I received my stinger bumper in decent shape though. Lacking in their description of including a winch plate. I went to harbor freight and bought a universal one and trimmed it up to fit.

But for the money its a decent bumper and mine weighed around 75 pounds according to fed ex. They ship pretty fast too.

davewjcook 07-24-2012 09:46 PM

Take a look at Bestop Highrock (High Access). I can't speak to the optional light bar, as I didn't get it, but the bumper's solid and comes winch-ready.

et43011 07-24-2012 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Agree on the body armor... it has a winchplate and is good quality, also has tabs for lights

Attachment 439732

nmtj 07-24-2012 11:02 PM

If you want light weight check out undercoverfab or savvy. The UCF is under 340 with a winch plate and weighs less than 20 pounds. Aluminum FTW!

Savvy's bumper is pretty sweet too

BTW if you have 3.07 gearing with non stock tires, you will notice 100lbs.

aparke4 07-25-2012 05:56 AM

I went metal cloak alum base with hoop and stubbie low caps
Base weighs 8.5 lbs
Caps maybe a couple
Hoop winch guard maybe 10 ish
So about 25 lbs total
And it had an integrated winch mount!

SlackJaw 07-25-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by baron (Post 13912264)

damn that is kind of cool, but adds up $ quick like :o

yocarney 07-27-2012 01:34 PM

Right now using it for mall crawling. After i finish school it will be lifted and upgraded. Looking to make the right decision now in order to avoid having to re-buy a bumper in the future. I like the body armor design, but cannot lift it now. I like the bull bar with light tabs, would probably do some kc's right in the middle and a winch eventually. Anybody run a winch on a stock tj, or is it just too much weight?

jeepinhokie 07-30-2012 05:30 AM

people throw winches on stock TJs all the time...

i wouldnt call it too much weight, but you will see a little sag.

Personally, if your mall crawlin right now, I would wait on the winch.

RowJ 07-30-2012 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jeepinhokie (Post 13941643)
people throw winches on stock TJ [bumpers] all the time... Personally, if your mall crawlin right now, I would wait on the winch.

Agree. If still in school.... stay w/ stock for now. If needing another bumper.... go to junk yards.
But you can spruce it up a bit. Remove the milk jugs and the bumpers, angle cut the ends to your choice of length and repaint.
Gives it an off-road look ..... see mine below.
Add a winch if you want but why carry extra weight till you start off roading? I just bolted on an inexpensive light bar.

RowJ 07-30-2012 07:02 AM

If set on spending some money now.... I'm partial to JCR Offroad products.
Reasonably priced, great quality, very stout and Made in the USA!
I have their rear bumper and could not be happier. :)

The time now is 12:51 PM.