Front bumper sag after winch install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front bumper sag after winch install

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
SWAustinJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Front bumper sag after winch install

I have a 98 TJ with stock springs and a 2.5 " spacer lift with longer travel shocks. After I installed an aftermarket bumper and winch, the front end dropped@ 1 inch. What would be the easiest way to correct this ? Can I pull of the front spacers and change to longer / heavier springs. If so, which springs should I switch to and would any thing else need to be changed?
Thanks in advance

SWAustinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAustinJeep View Post
I have a 98 TJ with stock springs and a 2.5 " spacer lift with longer travel shocks. After I installed an aftermarket bumper and winch, the front end dropped@ 1 inch. What would be the easiest way to correct this ? Can I pull of the front spacers and change to longer / heavier springs. If so, which springs should I switch to and would any thing else need to be changed?
Thanks in advance
That would be the best. Shop around for springs. Many will work. Savvy are popular.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Savvy are popular.
Savvy doesn't make springs....they sell Currie springs.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosejockey61 View Post
Right
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is some reading, post #304 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post11066169
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
SWAustinJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. That link is a lot of help.
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAustinJeep View Post
Thanks in advance
That is exactly what I did. I was running a 2.25"BB. I swapped the front spacers for 3" springs after a winch and bumper install.

I was running a stock front track bar with the budget boost. My front axle was just slightly off center, but not enough to bother me. With the 3" springs, it was enough, so I installed an adjustable front track bar shortly after.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosejockey61 View Post
Well, yes and no. You won't find a Currie 3" spring on their website, they're made special for Savvy...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post

Well, yes and no. You won't find a Currie 3" spring on their website, they're made special for Savvy...
So what you are saying is that Savvy doesn't make springs...they sell Currie springs...
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the "I have a winch and my front end sags" club. I figure with my JCR bumper and the winch that I've got an extra and 140+lbs on the front of my rig. That's why I'm getting ready to go 2.75" in front and 2" in the back end with BDS springs and a spacer.
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you are just sagging due to winch install an easy fix is to get some JK front springs and install them. No need for rubicon style (#19 ) . I used the ones off a 2010 4 door sahara
ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any decent 3" springs will work.I always lift the front of my Jeeps 1" more than the rear (winch or not).
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
SWAustinJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Please tell me more about the JK spring fix. I am sure I can find some used ones somewhere. Are they just heavier to compensate for the added weight or are they long enough to pull off the 2.5 inch spacers in the front? Do you know what the in unloaded length is so I make sure I get the correct ones.
Thanks again for all the help. I am new to this.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have 2" spacers in front and rear. With the weight of the 12k winch and mount I lost 1/2 to 1 inch. With jk front springs inplace of the stock tj ones I am sitting level again. They are pretty much same length as stock just thicker diameter coils
ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
SWAustinJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to fixing the front end drop caused by adding the wench and bumper. Found some take-off springs from a 2013 JKU with @ 500 miles on them for $50 on craigslist. Swapped them for the original TJ springs and they raised the front end 3/4" so that it was level again. No drive line vibrations. I have not changed he rear springs out for fear it would bring the rake back.
Next time a have a couple free hours to kill, I may give it a try just to see what happens.

Ended up being a cheap and easy fix. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.