Thought some of you might be interested in the redesign I'm doing on the Road Armor front bumper (Edit: To clarify - for my own personal use, not doing this for the Road Armor company!!) to make it functionally better for the winch mount, and house a few more lights to make it more useful for me in the desert at night, and also raised the side pods for a bit more clearance and to follow the lines of the Highline fenders better.
Original Road Armor bumper
Redesign on CAD
Some of the new parts:
Bending on the press brake:
Winch mounted on new plate - much lower and set further back.
Thanks to the SwayLoc - we've freed up the Swaybar mounts on top of the frame so we made the plate longer to set the winch back and tie into those. Made a large oval opening to bring the wires up for the winch etc.
Side pods - water jet cut, press brake bent, gas mig welded. Looking good! The DRL is from the new Mercedes G-Wagen and the same road legal fog lights that Brabus uses.
New centre section - license plate goes in the space intended for the roller fairlead originally (fits beautifully) and then the Synthetic line fairlead comes out underneath. Cut outs for off road LEDs on either side.
Modified Headlight brackets to accept the JW Speaker LED headlights. Marked out and ready to cut away based on the trial and error with the first light. I have smaller versions of the same light (5-3/4") on one of my classic cars and I'm very happy with that. The Xe7 HID lights have served well for the past 7-8 years and although they still work great, I felt like it was time to upgrade again.
Lighting test - all wired up and ready to go in the bumper!
That's 162 forward facing LED lights where there was once only 4 halogen bulbs. It's a significant improvement.
More updates tomorrow night as the bumper gets finished off and the lights get mounted in it. The Jeep Jamboree here is the day after so... it HAS to be done tomorrow!
Hardest part really has been cutting up the original bumper to make use of the parts that we want to keep. In hind-sight, it would have probably been easier to start from scratch and cut out all the parts we need to build a new one. But the original intention was for it to be cut out and assembled like a jigsaw puzzle. Then changed to use the press brake on a lot of it and that made it so much easier.
But hey, for my first bumper build, I'm very happy with how it's coming out
Changes are my designs and CAD work, welding is being done by a buddy of mine. I'm still scared of what I might end up trying to build if I figured out how to weld things by myself