Front Bumper re-design - LED lighting, winch mount, DRLs, Road Armor v 2.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front Bumper re-design - LED lighting, winch mount, DRLs, Road Armor v 2.0

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Front Bumper re-design - LED lighting, winch mount, DRLs, Road Armor v 2.0

Thought some of you might be interested in the redesign I'm doing on the Road Armor front bumper (Edit: To clarify - for my own personal use, not doing this for the Road Armor company!!) to make it functionally better for the winch mount, and house a few more lights to make it more useful for me in the desert at night, and also raised the side pods for a bit more clearance and to follow the lines of the Highline fenders better.

Original Road Armor bumper

Redesign on CAD

Some of the new parts:

Bending on the press brake:

First cut!

Winch mounted on new plate - much lower and set further back.

Thanks to the SwayLoc - we've freed up the Swaybar mounts on top of the frame so we made the plate longer to set the winch back and tie into those. Made a large oval opening to bring the wires up for the winch etc.

Side pods - water jet cut, press brake bent, gas mig welded. Looking good! The DRL is from the new Mercedes G-Wagen and the same road legal fog lights that Brabus uses.

New centre section - license plate goes in the space intended for the roller fairlead originally (fits beautifully) and then the Synthetic line fairlead comes out underneath. Cut outs for off road LEDs on either side.

Modified Headlight brackets to accept the JW Speaker LED headlights. Marked out and ready to cut away based on the trial and error with the first light. I have smaller versions of the same light (5-3/4") on one of my classic cars and I'm very happy with that. The Xe7 HID lights have served well for the past 7-8 years and although they still work great, I felt like it was time to upgrade again.

Lighting test - all wired up and ready to go in the bumper!

That's 162 forward facing LED lights where there was once only 4 halogen bulbs. It's a significant improvement.

More updates tomorrow night as the bumper gets finished off and the lights get mounted in it. The Jeep Jamboree here is the day after so... it HAS to be done tomorrow!

Hardest part really has been cutting up the original bumper to make use of the parts that we want to keep. In hind-sight, it would have probably been easier to start from scratch and cut out all the parts we need to build a new one. But the original intention was for it to be cut out and assembled like a jigsaw puzzle. Then changed to use the press brake on a lot of it and that made it so much easier.

But hey, for my first bumper build, I'm very happy with how it's coming out

Changes are my designs and CAD work, welding is being done by a buddy of mine. I'm still scared of what I might end up trying to build if I figured out how to weld things by myself

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I've always been a fan of your jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

impressive, to say the least
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
obxcarolina
1999 TJ Wrangler 

as always i love following your builds. ready to see this one in action
obxcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Thanks guys

Here's some more progress - late last night - getting it together enough to be able to rattle can it and run it on the Jeep Jamboree.

Welds roughly cleaned up. A lot more welding and finishing work planned before powdercoating.

First shot of it on the Jeep with it all plugged in and functional.

Getting the winch installed properly is going to be on the to-do list for after the weekend. We've still got a bit of work to do to make that happen. We mounted the winch body but called it a night after that.

Already very happy with how much lower the winch is now than it used to be up high.

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

cool ... unfortuantely this bumper is not on the market anymore ... so your mods from a cool bumper to an even cooler bumper remain exclusive ... LOL

glad to c u around ... still jeepin
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

And then here's some pictures from today at the Jeep Jamboree. As mentioned above this is still rough finish, rattle can finish. After some final adjustments we'll be perfecting the finish and getting it powder coated.

Just DRLs

After today's desert drive - we know we do have a bit of rubbing at full compression and steering. We'll be trimming the lower outer edges away before powder coating the thing! Still - not bad at all for my first bumper design
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I still perfer my HID's though!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Just updating this thread with pictures of the bumper with the winch properly installed and working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.