Front axle u-joints, what brand? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front axle u-joints, what brand?

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good grief I am so confused by my bookmarks, nevermind.

Spicer 760 is the way to go.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystangt

So how do i check? Wheels off? On the ground, on stands? Im just not sure...
Wheels can be on and vehicle on ground. Just reach in there and grab the ears of the axle shaft and try to move them.

Sent from my PC36100 using JeepForum
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
sublimemaze
1997 TJ Wrangler 

spicer 5-760x u joints for $24.99 at iron rock offroad: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...Category_Code=
sublimemaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I checked my axle u-joints and they have no play at all.

The Jeep was on the ground with the wheels straight and i tried to move the yolk as hard as i possibly could but nope. They did NOT move the least bit.

I also re-greased all the joints and no changes.

The wheel is still jerky as it starightens out.

What do you guys think? Bad u-joint?

I have no idea what else it may be. I cant picture it being anything but the u-joints but they are solid...no shaking

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Go ahead and change out the u-joints. Sometimes they won't have any play in them but will seized up. If the problem still persists after you change the joints, then you know you have to look elsewhere.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

get a friend.

Have that friend drive (roll Jeep slowly using the engine actually) your vehicle forwards then backwards with wheels at full turn while you watch the joints and shafts/yokes.

there could be many reasons your wheel is jerky when straightening out, and you should be able to get a real good look while your friend moves it around.

they will need to turn the wheels all the way in both directions.

I drove almost a year including numerous wheeling trips before I found the hairline crack in a cap on one of my spicer 5-760x.

I personally have done more u-joints than I care to remember on Jeeps. I only buy spicers for my own Jeeps but have to re-re-do (not typo) one on the rear of my t-case this weekend..and I think the spicer box I had said china on it so I may look into a high quality AMERICAN MADE u-joint in the future.
Unread 06-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Go ahead and change out the u-joints. Sometimes they won't have any play in them but will seized up. If the problem still persists after you change the joints, then you know you have to look elsewhere.
quote for truth, just replaced mine for the same reason, I got five years out of the Napa non greasable ones. went for the presicion greasable through the cap ones from Napa this time. Completely cleared up my jerking wheel. There was no play in the joints but once I was able to move the joint around by hand they felt like all the rollers were square. and were very rusty inside.

Tags
5-760 , spicer , u-joint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.