Front axle u-joints, what brand? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front axle u-joints, what brand?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front axle u-joints, what brand?

My wheel started jerking as its straightening out similar to when you are in 4WD on dry ground. I am thinking that it's one of the axle u-joints.

I am looking at RockAuto.com and they have a large variety of them. I know that we have Spicer from factory and that spicer is THE way to go but they are $40 a piece, meanwhile i can get OMIX or PRECISION ones for $17 each. So id pay less for a pair of these, then i would for 1 spicer one.

How crucial is it that i pop the Spicer ones in? Anyone just using these generic brands?

mystangt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

there's no driveshaft company near you? i can get spicers for my dana 60 shafts for $25

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't heard anything bad about the Napa joints which I believe to be Precision joints. Don't quote me on that though.

I prefer to use the Spicer 5-760x. Have you checked any local shops who may carry the Spicer 5-760 joint? My local off road shops sells them for around $25.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystangt View Post
My wheel started jerking as its straightening out similar to when you are in 4WD on dry ground. I am thinking that it's one of the axle u-joints.

I am looking at RockAuto.com and they have a large variety of them. I know that we have Spicer from factory and that spicer is THE way to go but they are $40 a piece, meanwhile i can get OMIX or PRECISION ones for $17 each. So id pay less for a pair of these, then i would for 1 spicer one.

How crucial is it that i pop the Spicer ones in? Anyone just using these generic brands?
How good omix are I don't know but if you end up replacing the again in a year what did you save? I'd rather do it once and be done.
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used a generic brand from pepboys and ended up replacing the same joint 2 years later. My personal experience with those u joints has not been well. You should be able to tell if the u joint is bad pretty easily, grab the yoke ears and if you feel any play replace the joint.

Sent from my PC36100 using JeepForum
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisHeim View Post
I used a generic brand from pepboys and ended up replacing the same joint 2 years later. My personal experience with those u joints has not been well. You should be able to tell if the u joint is bad pretty easily, grab the yoke ears and if you feel any play replace the joint.

Is that the only way to tell if they are taking a crap?

I feel like mine are binding rather than being loose

And should i put the front end on jacks? Leave it on the ground? Move the wheel left-right? Take the wheels off?

Now that ill already have the front end apart, i think that i am going to replace my ball-joints as well as they have seen better days. Can i go cheapo with these or is it once again the same deal...you get what you pay for.

I may just bite the bullet and get Spicer u-joints, so im gonna try to save a few $ on teh ball-joints. RockAuto has them for $7 (brand is 'Chassis Rite')
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystangt

Is that the only way to tell if they are taking a crap?

I feel like mine are binding rather than being loose

And should i put the front end on jacks? Leave it on the ground? Move the wheel left-right? Take the wheels off?

Now that ill already have the front end apart, i think that i am going to replace my ball-joints as well as they have seen better days. Can i go cheapo with these or is it once again the same deal...you get what you pay for.

I may just bite the bullet and get Spicer u-joints, so im gonna try to save a few $ on teh ball-joints. RockAuto has them for $7 (brand is 'Chassis Rite')
I'm not sure if there is another way to tell if they are bad. Personally I have never seen a ujoint that needed to be replaced and didn't have some play. As far as cheaper or generic parts I have had 2 ujoints 2 hub bearings and 1 power steering gearbox go bad within a year or two. I could have warrantied the part but I didnt feel like putting crappy parts back in once I had it apart multiple times.

TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisHeim View Post
I'm not sure if there is another way to tell if they are bad. Personally I have never seen a ujoint that needed to be replaced and didn't have some play. As far as cheaper or generic parts I have had 2 ujoints 2 hub bearings and 1 power steering gearbox go bad within a year or two. I could have warrantied the part but I didnt feel like putting crappy parts back in once I had it apart multiple times.

So how do i check? Wheels off? On the ground, on stands? Im just not sure...
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know that we have Spicer from factory and that spicer is THE way to go but they are $40 a piece,
Please search ebay for "spicer 5-760x". Currently there are six listings, all under twenty five bucks.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Matt98XJ
2014 JK Wrangler 

Buy spicer. Simple as that. Have seen far too many "cheap" joints fail and take shafts with them.
Matt98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy

Please search ebay for "spicer 5-760x". Currently there are six listings, all under twenty five bucks.
Will do! Thanks man!

Just wanna make sure before i click "buy it now", 5-760X are the correct ones for a 2000 TJ without ABS?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Will do! Thanks man!

Just wanna make sure before i click "buy it now", 5-760X are the correct ones for a 2000 TJ without ABS?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Yup Spicer 5-760x will work in any year TJ D30 or D44.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spicer all the way; went with Advance Auto's brand once and they didn't last very long, nor did they seem to be of the same quality as the spicers.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Spicer. But keep your eyes open for a new joint from Superior.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
mystangt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

I am getting the Spicer 5-760X from eBay. $52 for a pair, shipped!

Thanks again!!!

Tags
5-760 , spicer , u-joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.