Front axle OEM lower shock mount elimination? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Front axle OEM lower shock mount elimination?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
toyrocs

Front axle OEM lower shock mount elimination?

I'm wanting to install longer front travel shocks on my 1998 tj that has a 1.75" BB. It has the Dana 30 HP out of a doner XJ.
I do NOT want to use the ford upper shock towers to raise the upper shock mount, use bump stop extensions or the aftermarket lower shock mount raising brackets. The point is to increase travel-- not just make it work!

I was thinking of cutting out all the metal structure for the lower shock mount ( cross pin area). Fabricate a new lower shock mount about 2"-2.5" lower than the orginal mount & weld to lower control arm bracket & axle tube. With the new shock mounts, also ensure clearance to remove/install the control arm bolts.
I'm running narrow 33" swampers with minimal rub on the plastic flares & just want to increase down travel & will be using some Rancho RS9000XL ( RS999168) .

Has anyone done this mod/or have any info or comments that may be useful?

I have searched for hours on this subject & found no info.
Thanks. Toyrocs

Last edited by toyrocs; 11-02-2009 at 06:49 PM..
toyrocs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

are you really having that much issue with lack of down travel? When i ran my 2.25" BB i dropped coils at full droop. not sure why you would want more down travel than that.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^x2... I had to raise my lower shock mount and install bumpstops to properly utilize the 10" of travel in my shocks. Any more down travel (such as it was before I raised my lower shock mounts) and I would completely unload my springs. I set it to 5" up and 5" down and it works fine. (well... other than the tire still wanting to grab the fender when stuffed) and that's with 6" springs. The shocks weren't the limiting factor in my down travel to begin with, it was the LCA hitting the mount. After I notched and gusseted the mount I had to move the bottom of the shock up to use the down travel I had added and I need limiting straps to keep the axle from hangin by the shock. If I had 12 or 14" travel shocks, I could still not get any more down travel, as my springs would fall out...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

Something like this?

These are the Clayton CA mounts. Thinking it is similar to what you are thinking. If I were to use the stock CA mounts, I would re-enforce them with 3/16, 1/4 plate or somethings like that.

Also look at some of Mud8's posts on the subject of shock travel. He is in the greater Portland area as well.
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
toyrocs

NRIVER, the pictures you posted are what I was thinking about. Currently I do have about 2" more down travel before the springs unload. This Dana 30 HP has been heavily modified & I would like to restrict mods to the axles.The plan was to go back to stock (replace front axle) if I ever sell it.

This TJ is my DD & will never have more than 33" tires as long as I'm the owner. I have a Toyota on 46" baja claws that is my off road (only) machine.

Toyrocs.
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

just to be sure... your sway bar is disconnected, right?

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
toyrocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98 View Post
just to be sure... your sway bar is disconnected, right?
Yes both roll bars have been removed. It would be extremely difficult to install a front bar ( or reinstall the oem bar) due to my redesign of the tie rod / drag link/ custom steering arm bracket on passenger knuckle/ panhard bar ( style & frame mount).

Toyrocs
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

is that what the knuckles and pitman I just reamed for 1 ton tre's are for?

what shocks and length are you running...

a pair of OME n66L shocks will give you 11" travel and will unseat 4" lift springs.

since you only have 1.75" bb spacers, you could run up to 9.5-10" travel only if they are relocated to also stay with stock bumpstops. I may still have the lower mounts I built for mine, I ended up taking the easy/er way out for making room for 13-14" travel shocks. if I can't find em I'll make another pair

stop by, I'll show you what I did on mine and one I have in the shop currently.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you only have 1.75 inch spacers with the factory springs, why not just install some Old Man Emu shocks (not the long travel versions)? They don't require any bumpstop extensions in the front axle and will extend 2 inches more than the factory shocks.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
toyrocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
If you only have 1.75 inch spacers with the factory springs, why not just install some Old Man Emu shocks (not the long travel versions)? They don't require any bumpstop extensions in the front axle and will extend 2 inches more than the factory shocks.
With the sway bars removed ( this is my DD & occasional Wheeler) I wanted to slow down the instantanious roll during quick turning on the pavemant. The body "lean" angle is ok . The quickness of the roll is what i'm concerned about the most. I have purchased some RS9000XL shocks ( adjustable dampining) with 2.1" more travel than stock. This may help somewhat. I'll let you know how this handles on the street.
Thanks. Toyrocs
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyrocs View Post
With the sway bars removed ( this is my DD & occasional Wheeler) I wanted to slow down the instantanious roll during quick turning on the pavemant. The body "lean" angle is ok . The quickness of the roll is what i'm concerned about the most. I have purchased some RS9000XL shocks ( adjustable dampining) with 2.1" more travel than stock. This may help somewhat. I'll let you know how this handles on the street.
Thanks. Toyrocs
you'll need longer bumpstops or the shock mounts relocated for those... the collapsed length is also 2" longer than the stock shocks

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.