Fried A/C speed switch w/pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fried A/C speed switch w/pics!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fried A/C speed switch w/pics!

I have been having issues with these for years now and am fed up. This time it wasnt just the resistor pack which went out two months ago. Now I started smelling burning plastic when running the a/c on high. The a/c only works on high now. The buttons to the fan and a/c/heater had some heat damage last winter, they melted and had to be glued back on.

Now I discovered that on the back of the a/c panel in the dash the connector from the wiring harness is melted onto one of the copper prongs from the switch. The switch now has a big melted hole in place of this connection. Here are the pics.

What should I do about the melted connection on the wiring harness? replace or can I cut it off and put metal tabs on that hook to the new switch? New switch and new resistor a must obviously, how about putting in a relay is that necessary like on jpmag site? I dont know if I can figure that one out. Thanks for the help!

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

bump

i want to see answers on this also.
gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am off to the stealer ship tomorrow to try for a resistor pack and a switch, but dont know about the harness side of the switch, its pretty burnt up!!!

SOJ
SOJ
SOJ

CO

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
Unread 07-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
bigjim in vegas

I just swapped the speed switch on mine as well, i had no 3 speed setting. Now all the settings work but the a/c just shuts off now and then and i have to give it a smack on the side and it comes back on. I think i have some kinda loose connection to fix now. Im tired of it to be honest!!!
bigjim in vegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Screw JEEP, Mopar, dodge, chrysler, This is a problem which they have neglected for over 5 years now!!!! Why isnt there a recall of the wiring harness?? They are cheap and we know this is a bad design which fails every time over a year now!!! They should fix this or pay? Class Action lawsuit anyone??? THis is dangerous, fire?? Geeze! How can I see black smoke inside my cab today and think that I am safe driving a JEEP? I cannot!!!! This is a major problem which they have known about for years and have decided not to fix!!! We should file a class action lawsuit to get them to fix this BEFORE SOMEBODY DIES because their faulty designers screwed up. I am sure there has been fires started among the public because of this. I alone have had to smell these noxious fumes for the past month! THIS IS A SAFETY RECALL AND THEY KNOW IT AND ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

Unread 07-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

!post removed for drunken misconduct!

Last edited by CO_crawler; 07-08-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Unread 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
AlexTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While we're at it lets sue the pants off 'em for ever considering using the dana 35!

Yay lawsuits! Its the American way!
'97 TJ Sport :4.7L STROKER:RSG AX-15 "Terminator":Accel 30lb/hr injectors:2000 intake manifold:HP Dana 30 & Ford 8.8 w/ stock LSD & 4.11s for now:RE 4.5" SF :OME Shocks:AA SYE & Dana CV shaft: MAXXIS Bighorn MTs 33x12.5R15:SRC Front & rear bumpers w/ tire carrier:Cragar Series 320 15x8s:WARN SDB-210HBs:KC slimlites Long & Fog:Bestop Replace-a-top : No Cat and Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad
AlexTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_crawler View Post
Screw JEEP, Mopar, dodge, chrysler, This is a problem which they have neglected for over 5 years now!!!! Why isnt there a recall of the wiring harness?? They are cheap and we know this is a bad design which fails every time over a year now!!! They should fix this or pay? Class Action lawsuit anyone??? THis is dangerous, fire?? Geeze! How can I see black smoke inside my cab today and think that I am safe driving a JEEP? I cannot!!!! This is a major problem which they have known about for years and have decided not to fix!!! We should file a class action lawsuit to get them to fix this BEFORE SOMEBODY DIES because their faulty designers screwed up. I am sure there has been fires started among the public because of this. I alone have had to smell these noxious fumes for the past month! THIS IS A SAFETY RECALL AND THEY KNOW IT AND ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!
*NEWSFLASH*
It's not just a Chrysler problem. It happens on Chevys, Fords, and other vehicles, too. If you want to make sure it never happens again, cut the plug off the harness and solder the wires directly to the switch. No more resistance from bad connections, no more heat buildup.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

okay i got a bit upset last night

Anyways, I can cut off the plug and solder it directly to the switch?? Anyone tried that?

Unread 07-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously its probably the switch contacts are a bit too small causing the heat build up.Soldering the wires on wouldn't solve that problem,if you really want to fix it forever use the switch to operate a small power relay.NO more switch problems.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
rebus20
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
*NEWSFLASH*
It's not just a Chrysler problem. It happens on Chevys, Fords, and other vehicles, too. If you want to make sure it never happens again, cut the plug off the harness and solder the wires directly to the switch. No more resistance from bad connections, no more heat buildup.

I have never had this issue with any other vehicle I have owned nor had I heard of any of my friends having it. I buy a jeep and had to replace the resistor pack right off.
rebus20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
bigjim in vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Seriously its probably the switch contacts are a bit too small causing the heat build up.Soldering the wires on wouldn't solve that problem,if you really want to fix it forever use the switch to operate a small power relay.NO more switch problems.
Can you post some directions on how to do somthing like this. I live in Vegas and its 112 today. My a/c cut off and even banging on the side doesnt make it turn back on anymore. Im taking it apart as soon as the sun goes down to see where the problem is. Im ready to put a toggle switch under the dash or somthing just so i have relaible a/c the rest of the summer.
bigjim in vegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dont see how that solves the problem of the melted harness plug? I cant drive till its fixed, what do I do buy crimp connectors or try to solder it? I have a propane torch might be able to solder it with that, just kidding, but dont have a soldering pen either....

Unread 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim in vegas View Post
Can you post some directions on how to do somthing like this. I live in Vegas and its 112 today. My a/c cut off and even banging on the side doesnt make it turn back on anymore. Im taking it apart as soon as the sun goes down to see where the problem is. Im ready to put a toggle switch under the dash or somthing just so i have relaible a/c the rest of the summer.
Well if you want to do a quickie basic job get a SPDT 12 vdc 30 amp power relay and use the switch to turn the relay oh.When the relay is not powered you would use that path to run the low speed( or what ever speed you like best while driving) resistor to the fan.When you power the relay the relay contacts would provide full speed power to the fan.

Its so freakin simple i just saw a Republican do it!
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well if you want to do a quickie basic job get a SPDT 12 vdc 30 amp power relay and use the switch to turn the relay oh.When the relay is not powered you would use that path to run the low speed( or what ever speed you like best while driving) resistor to the fan.When you power the relay the relay contacts would provide full speed power to the fan.

Its so freakin simple i just saw a Republican do it!
anyone have a walkthrough on this? besides the jpmag one that isnt really detailed enough for me, the non electrical guy, to understand. the wiring process!??? Thanks, just wanna do it right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.