frameless soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > frameless soft top

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
schwartzkoff

frameless soft top

I'm looking into getting a new top for my wrangler, I've seen things about frameless tops, a couple questions about them, first: opinions of them, good bad? Second:how are they in the winter? It seems that they look like they are thin.

schwartzkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like my rampage.

It's just fine in the winter.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Bestop Trektop. Not much worse than the uninsulated hard top in the cold. Mostly I like it a lot, but storing the windows to ride with just the safari top is a pain in the butt. They have the rear corners molded in hard plastic. If you look at them, they are at an angle to the top and bottom of the side windows, so you can't roll them up neatly like on the framed soft top. You end up with this big wad of plastic window that doesn't fit anywhere. Rampage probably has the advantage with the sleeve in the top to store the windows.
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Softopper. Love it! Plenty thick, adjustable for tightness, quality construction. Works just fine in the winter (this is my second winter). Side/rear windows store easily against the roof.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Haha the first 3 replies are for 3 different tops...probably the leading frameless tops too.

My take on this topic after having owned the Rampage non-sailcloth:

The rampage top was pretty cheap, but didn't leak, & was fairly quiet (not quieter than my Bestop RAT non-sailcloth). That being said, I had no trouble with the top for 5 months I owned it, but it didn't seem like everything would hold up for a long time.

The softopper is made in the USA & seems to be great quality...but it has tiny rear windows imo.

Both of those tops use a no-drill, non-oem style header to mount...which is a PITA to do deal with if you're trying to get the top on in rain.

Yes, I've gotten good at going from topless with no header on, to all covered up...& it can be done quickly...but can't compare to the ease of the oem style for putting up quickly.

.....& if you leave the header on while topless, it sounds like you're in a wind tunnel at 35+mph.

After having oem, bestop rat, very very used sailcloth rat, bikini, safari, rampage & now an oem sailcloth....if I went back to a frameless top (I love the way they look), I think the only one I'd consider is the trektop.

The trektop uses a oem latch style header, has the sunrider feature, & is likely good quality.

Oem style tops are just so easy to use...that's my hesitation of going back to a frameless top. I can get an oem style up/down so easily & all tucked away behind the roll bar in hardly a few mins..even when it's cool out.

Notes from my long post:
Rampage: cheap, but decent top (but cheap quality), annoying to taker on/off a lot.

Softopper: made in the USA....but has tiny rear windows (imo), probably annoying to take on/off. High quality

Trektop: probably made in Mexico, still good quality, has sunrider feature, uses oem style latches...

Edit: using rampage in the summer was annoying in the rain, trying to get my mountain bike in & out easily...the oem style top & window would've been far easier even in the heat (when either top would be relaxed)

Also, another example/thing to consider...tonight it's 30s/40s here & I could still get my oem top down fairly easily & not have to worry about getting it back on tomorrow night if it's going to rain. Even if it's in the 40s tomorrow, if I go carefully, the top won't be.that bad to put on (including my windows)....I wouldn't have dared do that with the Rampage top.

& if anyone asks why I was putting my top down when it's 30s/40s out.....shut up, that's why

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a Rampage and after trying to install it and seeing the crappy header bar I took it back and got the Bestop Trektop. I like it much better.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going on 2 years with my Rampage non sailcloth frameless and love it. I live in New England, so we have some harsh winters and my Jeep sits outside year round and although it can feel damp to the touch from the inside, it hasn't leaked at all.

Like said, kinda a pain to be taking off/on all the time but I personally like a safari top so it works out perfectly, although I do take it off every now and then and it gets easier to do everytime. It looks badass and its cheap so I can't complain at all.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux
I bought a Rampage and after trying to install it and seeing the crappy header bar I took it back and got the Bestop Trektop. I like it much better.
How can you like it much better when you didn't even install the rampage..?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Softtopper here, it works for what I need it for...never had an OEM soft top so I don't know the difference.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
The softopper is made in the USA & seems to be great quality...but it has tiny rear windows imo.

Both of those tops use a no-drill, non-oem style header to mount...which is a PITA to do deal with if you're trying to get the top on in rain.

Yes, I've gotten good at going from topless with no header on, to all covered up...& it can be done quickly...but can't compare to the ease of the oem style for putting up quickly.

.....& if you leave the header on while topless, it sounds like you're in a wind tunnel at 35+mph.

Softopper: made in the USA....but has tiny rear windows (imo), probably annoying to take on/off. High quality

The only issue I have with the size of the windows on my Softopper is that the top of the rear window is a little too low. Sometimes I have to dip my head an inch or two to see cars behind me in the rear view mirror if the road is not flat.

The Softopper uses the Bestop header (even though the instructions said "Smittybilt" - must have decided to go with better quality). It was a royal pain to put on the first time, after that it molded itself to the header, and it just falls into place now. Easiest way to put it on is not from outside the Jeep, but rather standing on the seats.

I've never noticed the wind tunnel noise. Then again, I don't often take the top completely off. I like having it "bikini-style".
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The softopper doesn't need the rear straps removed to put the windows back in going from safari to full top. They are also the only top of the bunch that I haven't heard of leaking issues with, or zipper issues. I always thought that the sun runner feature on the nx was stupid and is a feature I personally would never use.
rda616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post

The only issue I have with the size of the windows on my Softopper is that the top of the rear window is a little too low. Sometimes I have to dip my head an inch or two to see cars behind me in the rear view mirror if the road is not flat.

The Softopper uses the Bestop header (even though the instructions said "Smittybilt" - must have decided to go with better quality). It was a royal pain to put on the first time, after that it molded itself to the header, and it just falls into place now. Easiest way to put it on is not from outside the Jeep, but rather standing on the seats.

I've never noticed the wind tunnel noise. Then again, I don't often take the top completely off. I like having it "bikini-style".
I understand how they designed the rear windows to line up with the front...but I don't like how small the rear side windows are compared to pretty much every other top....maybe I'll get past this by the time I need a new top & end up with softopper...but it's unlikely.

As for the header, I spent months with my only top being a safari or a bikini...now I can throw the header & those style tops on pretty quick. What I was saying was I tried once to leave the header channel on while driving. Very slow driving it's fine, but with no top, the wind catches in the channel & makes a horrible noise above 35ish mph....& yes I had the header installed right.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Rileypalmer111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the Rampage frameless top for my TJ over the summer. The windshield channel was the only extra part I had to purchase.

I love the top, though. It looks sick, it's tinted, the windows are huge, and when you wanna take them out, there is a storage area in the top for the windows. It's awesome.
Rileypalmer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3
The only issue I have with the size of the windows on my Softopper is that the top of the rear window is a little too low. Sometimes I have to dip my head an inch or two to see cars behind me in the rear view mirror if the road is not flat. ".

There is an easy fix for that....remove the rear view mirror so you only use your side mirrors.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Rampage soft top and I love it. I use it year round.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.