Frameless/Bowless Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frameless/Bowless Soft Top

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
TJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Frameless/Bowless Soft Top

Hey Guys. I have a 99 TJ with the original factory soft top and full doors. The factory soft top has lasted 13 years but is finally starting to fall apart and tear and needs to be replaced.

I know there are several threads on the different brands frameless/bowless soft tops out there and I've read them all. I already know which one I want and I am NOT asking for reviews of the different brands/options, as that has been done to death.

What I am asking is this. Do any of you that went from a FRAMED soft top (factory or aftermarket) to a frameless/bowless soft tops have any regrets?

TJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

which one you looking at getting?
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
TJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

softopper for sure....
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
TJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

beuller.......anyone.......bueller......?????
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just recently bought the rampage one for my LJ and I love it looks cleaner and changes to a safari top in minutes and also don't have to deal with all that bulky hardware.

Sent from a chair on the beach!

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Weeks ago I went to a Rampage top. So far I've noticed it flaps more than the OEM top when the windows are down (no frame). I have yet to use it as a safari top. It's no big deal. It's not a hard top!
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Weeks ago I went to a Rampage top. So far I've noticed it flaps more than the OEM top when the windows are down (no frame). I have yet to use it as a safari top. It's no big deal. It's not a hard top!
Mine flaps like a penguin trying to fly. I cannot imagine any top could be noisier. The only solution is A/C on max, no circulate. It does a pretty good job pressurising the cab and limiting flap.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs99TJ View Post
softopper for sure....
I would like to see one of the soft toppers in person once you get it if you dont mind ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Mine flaps like a penguin trying to fly. I cannot imagine any top could be noisier. The only solution is A/C on max, no circulate. It does a pretty good job pressurising the cab and limiting flap.
What brand do you have ?
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Factory.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought a Softopper for my LJ. It's still in the box, so I can't comment on how much I like it. Ask me in a week or two.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
TJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=G Beasley;14081998]I would like to see one of the soft toppers in person once you get it if you dont mind ?

I will definitely let you know when I get it and once I do you can come by to check it out anytime!
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I enjoy my bestop trektop NX...not noisy and very good fit after it stretches out. I have not had any problems with leaks or flapping. Sun rider is also i nice feature.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
mdsteves

I got a Bestop TREKTOP NX frameless top. I love it. No bulky hardware like the factory one and I also have the flip back canopy that I use alot. It is easy to flip the top back than take the windows out and put the whole top down like i did with the factory soft top. It is actually quieter than the factory one to. No regrets at all.
mdsteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
VT_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also looking at a bowless top (haven't decided which bran yet). I used to have a hard top, switched to a stock soft top that is now worn out.

How well does it work putting the whole top down?
How does it store?
Can you drive at speed with it down?
What keeps it attached to the jeep when it's down?
VT_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As far as I can tell there is no "putting it down" only taking it off. The safari portion of the top uses the door surrounds and buckles around the sport bar. The windows zipper to the safari top and use the belt line channels. I don't plan on "putting mine down" since there is too much sun here in Colorado! The safari top is fine.

Tags
bowless , frameless , soft top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.