JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Frameless/Bowless Soft Top (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/frameless-bowless-soft-top-1410033/)

TJs99TJ 08-26-2012 05:52 PM

Frameless/Bowless Soft Top

Hey Guys. I have a 99 TJ with the original factory soft top and full doors. The factory soft top has lasted 13 years but is finally starting to fall apart and tear and needs to be replaced.

I know there are several threads on the different brands frameless/bowless soft tops out there and I've read them all. I already know which one I want and I am NOT asking for reviews of the different brands/options, as that has been done to death.

What I am asking is this. Do any of you that went from a FRAMED soft top (factory or aftermarket) to a frameless/bowless soft tops have any regrets?

bondosgto 08-26-2012 06:58 PM

which one you looking at getting?

TJs99TJ 08-26-2012 07:03 PM

softopper for sure....

TJs99TJ 08-27-2012 02:06 PM

beuller.......anyone.......bueller......?????

Renegade88 08-27-2012 02:30 PM

I just recently bought the rampage one for my LJ and I love it looks cleaner and changes to a safari top in minutes and also don't have to deal with all that bulky hardware.

Sent from a chair on the beach!

Jeepin72 08-27-2012 02:49 PM

Weeks ago I went to a Rampage top. So far I've noticed it flaps more than the OEM top when the windows are down (no frame). I have yet to use it as a safari top. It's no big deal. It's not a hard top!

TheRealKTrain 08-27-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin72 (Post 14081659)
Weeks ago I went to a Rampage top. So far I've noticed it flaps more than the OEM top when the windows are down (no frame). I have yet to use it as a safari top. It's no big deal. It's not a hard top!

Mine flaps like a penguin trying to fly. I cannot imagine any top could be noisier. The only solution is A/C on max, no circulate. It does a pretty good job pressurising the cab and limiting flap.

G Beasley 08-27-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJs99TJ (Post 14077850)
softopper for sure....

I would like to see one of the soft toppers in person once you get it if you dont mind ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain (Post 14081682)
Mine flaps like a penguin trying to fly. I cannot imagine any top could be noisier. The only solution is A/C on max, no circulate. It does a pretty good job pressurising the cab and limiting flap.

What brand do you have ?

TheRealKTrain 08-27-2012 04:27 PM

Factory.

JEK3 08-27-2012 04:48 PM

I just bought a Softopper for my LJ. It's still in the box, so I can't comment on how much I like it. Ask me in a week or two.

TJs99TJ 08-27-2012 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=G Beasley;14081998]I would like to see one of the soft toppers in person once you get it if you dont mind ?

I will definitely let you know when I get it and once I do you can come by to check it out anytime!

Jeepson33s 08-27-2012 06:25 PM

I enjoy my bestop trektop NX...not noisy and very good fit after it stretches out. I have not had any problems with leaks or flapping. Sun rider is also i nice feature.

mdsteves 08-27-2012 06:27 PM

I got a Bestop TREKTOP NX frameless top. I love it. No bulky hardware like the factory one and I also have the flip back canopy that I use alot. It is easy to flip the top back than take the windows out and put the whole top down like i did with the factory soft top. It is actually quieter than the factory one to. No regrets at all.:thumbsup:

VT_Rubi 08-27-2012 08:20 PM

I'm also looking at a bowless top (haven't decided which bran yet). I used to have a hard top, switched to a stock soft top that is now worn out.

How well does it work putting the whole top down?
How does it store?
Can you drive at speed with it down?
What keeps it attached to the jeep when it's down?

Jeepin72 08-28-2012 07:01 AM

As far as I can tell there is no "putting it down" only taking it off. The safari portion of the top uses the door surrounds and buckles around the sport bar. The windows zipper to the safari top and use the belt line channels. I don't plan on "putting mine down" since there is too much sun here in Colorado! The safari top is fine.

The time now is 09:49 AM.