Frame Swap Questions/Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame Swap Questions/Advice

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 08-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Frame Swap Questions/Advice

So I posted a thread about my rust/rot issue the other day and I got my Jeep checked out today and the guy said it wasn't worth fixing. Clearly not a jeep person. I love my Jeep and I couldn't ever just give her up like this (I've only had her for a year) Her engine is in perfect condition and her body isn't rusted to bad (no holes or anything) the frame is just rotted badly.

I decided to do a frame swap instead of buying a crappy used car that I hate. I found one for a 1998 4 cylinder which is perfect for $950.

Here is the issue though. I don't have the tools to do it myself (or honestly the time) so I'm asking if anyone knows if a shop is able to swap the frames for me?

We have good friends next door to our business which is a body shop, do you think it would be possible for a place like that to swap it? Or should it be like a mechanic shop?

Any advice on the swap ordeal would be awesome!

CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
ckurtz120
2002 WJ 

I did a frame swap on my 98 tj and overall it was actually quite simple. The only tool i had to borrow was an engine hoist which i was able to use to remove the body and the engine. if you break it down into sections, ie: fenders and grill, axle assemblies, engine and tranny (and TC) its not a bad job. just make sure you make a mental note of all the electrical connections and dont forget to bleed the brakes.
ckurtz120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A body shop should be able to take care of you. Or a few friends and a a few days forth of work...

Good luck.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
6765jay

Is this your DD? I believe a frame swap would pretty much be an entire rebuild. Removing axles, motor, trans and everything else would have to be taken off and swapped. I feel your pain, I had some rust issues but only where the holes on the frame are. I luckily caught it in time to sand her down and get a fresh finish on it. Now I got to get inside the frame. sorry for your situation good luck!
6765jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A body shop should definitally be able to handle it. Im curious as to what they would charge for a job of this caliber. Granted, when you break it down it SOUNDS simple but, Youd be swinging the motor, As the previous poster said. Swapping axles, all suspension, all electrical components. This may also be a good time to order a stainless steel brake line kit. If your frame is that bad, im sure your brake lines are rotted to hell ( and seriously un-safe)........ ask me how i know about rot, or just take a look at my build thread, i believe ive posted some pictures lol.
Unread 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
CarolineC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekXJ View Post
A body shop should definitally be able to handle it. Im curious as to what they would charge for a job of this caliber. Granted, when you break it down it SOUNDS simple but, Youd be swinging the motor, As the previous poster said. Swapping axles, all suspension, all electrical components. This may also be a good time to order a stainless steel brake line kit. If your frame is that bad, im sure your brake lines are rotted to hell ( and seriously un-safe)........ ask me how i know about rot, or just take a look at my build thread, i believe ive posted some pictures lol.
I'm sure its a lot of work (for someone who is not so mechanically skilled as most of you on here) and I would want it done right. I will hopefully get to talk to them before the end of this week and follow up with everyone in-case anyone would like information it on the $ and labor of a shop doing it.

Thanks for the tip on the break-lines if I am going through all this work to make her live forever I should look into other little things that can help
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What engine does your jeep have? If your jeep Is a 6 cylinder, you need a 6 cylinder frame.
The job isn't that bad if you have some basic wrenching skills.
I have done a couple frame swaps and find swapping the drivetrain and suspension first is the easiest.
Luckily for me I had all the necessary equipment
Including a lift available to me.
I would also suggest power washing your replacement frame, wire wheel all the rust and paint it with rustoleum rusty metal paint before assembling everything.
If you need any help you can pm me.

Tags
frame , frame swap , swap , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.