Frame Rust Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Frame Rust Questions

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
packersxxxi
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Frame Rust Questions

I know that i'm kind of beating a dead horse for posting this but I just wanted to ask a few more questions before i pull the trigger on this. For starters, i plan on ordering rust bullet and rust bullet black shell for the outside and eastwood internal frame for the interior. Can anyone give me their opinion on these? After comparing to POR-15 and other products this seems like the best option. I also plan on drilling a few drain holes on the frame. Is there anyone who is against this if so why? If I was to drill them where would the best location be? Also should i paint right over the rust or remove it first? Thank you!

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 95,000 miles, Jensen VM9214, Sony Xplode 12", Kenwood 350w amp, KC Hilites 130w Long Range lights, Warn VR8000 Winch.. Build List: 3" BDS Suspension Lift with Fox 2.0 shocks, Pro Comp Rock Crawler 152 Rims, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's, LOD Rear Bumper, Metalcloaks front and rear, tom wood's SYE and CV driveshaft
packersxxxi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The product should have detailed instructions on how to prep the surface. I recommend you read the Chassis Saver threads here on JeepForum. All loose rust should be knocked off and only surface rust should be there to bite to. Read through the instructions several times online before you buy.
I know my frame has lots of rust chunks in it that would not fit through a hole unless I cut the frame in half. Rust sucks.
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

POR-15- I've used this many times. It does what it claims and it dries into an extremely strong coating. I got one drip on a bolt thread laying around and when dried, it was a drip-shaped solid rock and bonded to bare steel. You can lay it down on rust with little/no prep, although I'd clean/scuff up as much surface area as possible for the best adhesion. The acid-based 'naval jelly' you can get at Lowes works awesome for prepping steel.

The fumes are deadly- no joke. You will feel ill inhaling them. Definitely get a decent respirator. Absolutely do not get any on your skin.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

POR-15 and Chassis Saver both say in the instructions not to use rust converters (Naval Jelly) on the metal surface before applying their products.
Read the surface prep instructions below for both products.

POR-15 Instructions:
http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/P...cationInfo.pdf
Chassis Saver Instructions:
http://magnetpaints.com/MSDS-TECH/TDS_UCP99.pdf
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It would seem to me that the worst rust is inside the frame rails. How do you get these products INSIDE the frame rails etc. ?

My Jeep has no rust, I sure would like for it to stay that way.

James
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
FFjeepguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i used this stuff to get the inside of my frame rails... awesome is all i have to say.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
FFjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFjeepguy View Post
i used this stuff to get the inside of my frame rails... awesome is all i have to say.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
How many cans of this stuff did you use on your frame? Mine's got a bit of rust and looks like this is the clear choice for the inside of the frame. As for the outside, I'm still researching as to whether I should go with POR-15 or Chassis Saver.
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
FFjeepguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i only used two cans to coat the the interior of the frame where the skid plate bolts to(thats where all of my rust problems were). i will be buying more to go over my previous work and to coat the rest of the frame. this stuff is good, just expensive.

on a side note, to get the rust chunks out, etc... i drilled a hole in the bottom of my frame(i believe a half inch drill bit or 9/16ths) where the rear upper control arm bracket is welded to, to facilitate drainage of sand, dirt, small rust chunks/particles out of my frame. i put the front of my jeep up on ramps and pressure washed the frame rails from front to back. let time to dry and coated the interior.
FFjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
frame , rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.